Author Topic: In the Path of Hurricane Irene  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
Re: In the Path of Hurricane Irene
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
She's weakened more. With the exception of the aforementioned idiots doing stupid things, not much to worry about. Some downed trees due to already being saturated, local flooding in low-lying areas, and some power loss here and there. So long as we don't get another earthquake here and the ground opens up and swallows us like in the movies I think we'll survive.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »
Watched some stuff on the news about this and thought of people that are on here. Hope you get through it safe and sound.

Thank you, I hope we all do too.  :)
are you on the coast? i am in westchester. i think we will get a lot of rain and wind here but unlikely to flood.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 08:05:34 AM »
Our mayor said if the gusts are over 55 they will not go out, I would understand sustained winds but even so it was close to that during one of the blizzards and they were all over the place.  I think we will get the usual,  some flooding and trees down with some beach erosion thrown in for good measure. 

My town is one of the places local news crews set up for these things :2thumbsup:
i will look for you on TV.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »
Watched some stuff on the news about this and thought of people that are on here. Hope you get through it safe and sound.

are you on the coast? i am in westchester. i think we will get a lot of rain and wind here but unlikely to flood.

I am in central Massachusetts.  The eye of the hurricane was perdicted, last I heard, to pass to the west of my city.   :orly:

People forget.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »

I am in central Massachusetts.  The eye of the hurricane was perdicted, last I heard, to pass to the west of my city.   :orly:

ah, then i will be thinking of you. i know massachusetts well. western mass is where i have my storage box. once or twice in bad weather it had a roof leak once that ruined a lot of my stuff. i am hoping that it doesn't happen again.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 08:17:03 AM »

ah, then i will be thinking of you. i know massachusetts well. western mass is where i have my storage box. once or twice in bad weather it had a roof leak once that ruined a lot of my stuff. i am hoping that it doesn't happen again.

I hope your stuff will be OK too.  Thanks for starting this thread, it was a good idea.  :viking:

People forget.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »
OMG...only just seen this thread and i don't watch the news so i had no
idea about this 'irene'

Hoping you will all be safe. :spaz:
blah blah blah

eris

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »
I checked the weather report, and it is to the east a few hundred ( not many ) miles. We are expected to just get thunderstorms. I remember back in 05 there was a devastating hurricane where I live - which is pracically unheard of. Weather is acting strange the past few decades.

I AM , however, worried about you lot. Some of you are right in the eye of the storm.

be careful

eris

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »
Here is the projected path

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »
My town is insane.  They announced if there is any delay in the start of school due to the storm they will post it on their web site and reverse 911 then almost like it was an after thought they said and the radio, so how are we supposed to get on to it if the power is out besides the radio?

They are also boarding all the windows on the central fire department for the first time I have seen in the twenty plus years I have lived here.  All this for a storm that we have already had worse countless times.  I would even venture to say at least one of the storms we had over the winter was and with that we had 18+ inches of snow also.

I am not saying the weather coming is nothing but the response to it has been so overblown at least where I am it's maddening. Sure people should be ready but they should always somewhat ready as some of the worst recent weather was pretty much without warning. I fear with all the hype it will make people think that is all it is when it really matters. I mean fuck they already as of noon shut down all the trains and it has not even started raining yet.  The governor of my state is already talking about national guard troops.   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »
I was just outside in an outer band. Wind steady around 10-15 with slightly higher gusts. Constant light rain. I took in all the stuff on my porch and the kids' toys and put them in the garage, but left the heavy metal table and chairs on the deck along with the gas grill, but I positioned them more securely. I also moved my cars to be out of the way of falling trees. It actually passes just east of us in the middle of the night, so you can imagine how big these things get as we are already feeling her.

@eris - Yeah, that one angled right through us and up into PA. We had a lot of damage out where I work.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:14:31 AM by Trigger 11 »
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
Already a much heavier rain band with slightly higher winds. Went to get mail and got soaked.
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
Oh shit, are the mainstream media just having a field day with this or what? :zoinks:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
Be safe Aspies. I don't want to be discovering that a few of you are not posting tomorrow
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap