Author Topic: In the Path of Hurricane Irene  (Read 2394 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: In the Path of Hurricane Irene
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »
Just saw an ad for hurricane Irene relief.

Are we that short on drama?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

P7PSP

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »
An American who uses celsius?
I prefer accuracy to imperialism.
Also my ex and current partners are both Canadian.
Pyraxis did always seem a bit dodgy.  :zoinks: Stay safe Wolfie. :thumbup:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »
 :smarty:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

P7PSP

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 10:20:10 PM »
 :lol:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 12:22:32 AM »
I will be spending Saturday battening down the hatches. Eye is supposed to go over or just past east of my work so just 35 miles from my house. Supposed to be weak category 2 or strong Category 1 as she goes through us. In-laws are in Virginia Beach and won't come here. Their house is on the Elizabeth River. The Navy pulled all their ships out. My base is on Level 1 Tropical Cyclone Alert. We spent today unplugging and covering everything up. Record rainfalls this month will lead to a lot downed trees. Hell, yesterday we had a massive storm unrelated to Irene bring 6" and 55 mph winds. Power was out all over. We happened to be on the right side of the grid outage. Moving westward will weaken her for NJ, NY, and all my online friends in CT, RI, and MA. Only expected to be Tropical Storm in the Northeast. Bunch of pussies! After surviving Andrew, I ain't worried. With Irene and the 5 eartquakes so far centered 23 miles from my house, plus last night's storm, people here all end of the world crazy.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:32:22 AM by Trigger 11 »
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 01:12:53 AM »
I don't know. People have the right to be afraid of this one since already everything is so wet.  Some are saying the NYC mayor is trying to make up for being caught with his pants down for the blizzard. Though you can't pick and choose with the subways - I would close the ones that run outside just to keep the idiots away.
They are closing the Bronx River Parkway at 6pm tomorrow with good justification. There is an underpass there that gets deep enough to drown someone and it floods that way with only heavy rain.
People went nuts here buying bottled water. I couldn't tell whether we have pumps or gravity so we filled a couple gallons. tomorrow if it looks bad we really will fill the bathtub, because flushing is important to me.
This would be my third hurricane in this area, so if it stays a hurricane I'd say at least a little worry is justified.
I just got a new camera so I may go out and try for some cloud pics.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 01:23:25 AM »
One of the projections I saw today had the eye passing over Central Long Island then over Ct between New Haven and Bridgeport  that is just where I am :o  I am less than a mile from the water too.  The only thing I worry about is my tent garage ripping though.  Other than that I make it a point to be ready for most things all the time and my work in construction is a big help.  I already have generators , a chain saw, tarps and all the other emergency stuff all the time. As for water the entire area here was designed to be gravity feed from reservoirs I do have some but I have never seen the supply disrupted.  For power like I said I have two generators I use for work and I am on the same grid as the local hospital.  Our mayor has urged people in the flood prone  areas right on the beach to evacuate and put numbers on the wind gust reach 55mph nobody will come out :zombiefuck:  Where they come up with these numbers I have no idea but 55mph gusts is nothing.

Unless you're trying to fight a fire with the possibility of live wires coming down around you and storm debris being blown about.  Ditto for EMT and police.  Most of the time they send the fire trucks out of harm's way ahead of time.  Losing one to flood or storm damage is way expensive and inconvenient.

They are out in worse a lot the only difference is this is a named storm.  He mentioned 55 mph gusts not sustained wind also we had 60+ mph gust last week and actually get them fairly regularly by the beach. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 01:54:32 AM »
Actually they are saying the winds will be sustained.
Irene was just downgraded to a category 1. If it makes landfall in NC they are saying that will weaken it.
And they are saying the real problem is what I have been saying - stupid people doing stupid things and clearing out the gene pool.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 02:01:23 AM »
Thinking of you guys in the next few days and wishing you and your families safe and hoping your lives are as least affected by its passing as can be hoped.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 02:04:27 AM »
Our mayor said if the gusts are over 55 they will not go out, I would understand sustained winds but even so it was close to that during one of the blizzards and they were all over the place.  I think we will get the usual,  some flooding and trees down with some beach erosion thrown in for good measure. 

My town is one of the places local news crews set up for these things :2thumbsup:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 02:06:01 AM »
Thinking of you guys in the next few days and wishing you and your families safe and hoping your lives are as least affected by its passing as can be hoped.

Thank you, little Aussie mate, you take care too.  :hug:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 04:23:14 AM »
Watched some stuff on the news about this and thought of people that are on here. Hope you get through it safe and sound.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 05:41:51 AM »
Watched some stuff on the news about this and thought of people that are on here. Hope you get through it safe and sound.

Thank you, I hope we all do too.  :)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 06:11:58 AM »
Hope all you guys stay safe.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 06:29:37 AM »
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!