Author Topic: How are you feeling right now? (Pt 2)  (Read 168873 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: How are you feeling right now? (Pt 2)
« Reply #555 on: September 24, 2011, 07:26:47 AM »
I'm having a Strattera-induced headache accompanied by a loud ringing in my ears. I think I need to stop taking the med.

I was wondering about how long the effects were lasting, because I thought you had already stopped taking them.

I stopped taking Concerta because I had trouble breathing properly. Strattera I'm still taking.

You might have the same issue that I do; I get bad side effects to varying degrees from drugs that increase synaptic norepinephrine concentrations, including atomoxetine/Straterra (a pure norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor that gave me the worst side effects of any drug I've tried), venlafaxine (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor), mirtazapine (noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant that also inhibits norepinephrine transporters) and lofepramine (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor with a high binding affinity for norepinephrine transporters), plus caffeine, which indirectly stimulates the release of norepinephrine. 

I haven't tried methylphenidate/Concerta (a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor), but I think it might not agree with me terribly well either.  Dexamphetamine also functions partly as a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, but it's binding affinity for norepinephrine transporters is low compared to it's binding affinity for dopamine transporters, and it causes very little in the way of side-effects for me.

Concerta was fab, esxcept for that one side effect. I felt alive and able to focus, and i had never known the difference, if that makes any sense.

Well, who needs to breathe when you can feel alive and able to focus instead?  Fair trade-off to me. >:D

There was a difference between before and after, a wow kind of feeling that turned down the noise, but I'm not sure I consider it fair.

Whoops, I was being facetious.  I would imagine breathing troubles would be quite upsetting and certainly a reason to discontinue a drug.

They were, and I was absolutely terrified when my breathing grew laboured over a period of a few days, but at the same time the difference between what I was capable of before and after was not something I could ignore.

I've never tried drugs (beyond cigarettes and alcohol) so I don't know if  that's just a "high" but it didn't fit the description.

The improved focus and feeling of aliveness from methylphenidate was probably coming from the increased dopamine, while the breathing problems are more likely to have come from the increased norepinephrine.  You might have better results from dexamphetamine; it has a weak effect on norepinephrine compared to it's effect on dopamine, so it's effects relative to methylphenidate tend to more cerebral (focus and feelings of well-being from dopamine) and less physical (stress response and peripheral nervous system effects from norepinephrine).  I suspect that I'd benefit somewhat from methylphenidate, but that I'd experience more side-effects than I do with dexamphetamine.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #556 on: September 24, 2011, 07:48:26 AM »
Feel sleepy despite taking 6 Dexamphetamine. Going to take another 3. Probably shouldn't but I have to study.

I feel the same way today; I just took dexamphetamine pills #7 and #8 and I'm hoping that I'll wake up enough to get some work done.
I ended up taking 13 dexamphetamine yesterday. Felt ok but still tired. Gone back to taking my regular amount today, otherwise I will run out before it is time to get another script filled.

When I get up to needing more than 10 a day (50mg, vs my prescribed dose of 40mg), I try to take a break from them for at least a couple of days to let my tolerance drop a bit.  It's often difficult to find the time to take a break, since I've developed a physiological dependence for dexamphetamine and I'm not much good for anything other than eating and sleeping when I come off it (at least for the first few days), so I have to wait for a gap when nothing critical needs to be done, but I get more work done in one good day when the meds are working well than in a whole week of mediocre or poor days when the meds aren't helping much, so it's worth it. 

I have a pill bottle where I put spare pills from days when I didn't take any or took less than my prescribed dose, which gives me a buffer for when I need extra without risking running out and having an unplanned break until I get a refill.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline ShyOne

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #557 on: September 24, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »
Embarrassed. Travelled down to Loughborough today in the car (seriously long journey D:) and was looking around someone's house that we're interesting in buying and I fainted. :-[

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #558 on: September 24, 2011, 09:01:39 AM »
Embarrassed. Travelled down to Loughborough today in the car (seriously long journey D:) and was looking around someone's house that we're interesting in buying and I fainted. :-[

No need to be embarrassed, a long car trip complicated by pain would be enough to make many people faint.  :)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #559 on: September 24, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »
That sucks.

Offline ShyOne

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #560 on: September 24, 2011, 09:07:12 AM »
That sucks.

No need to be embarrassed, a long car trip complicated by pain would be enough to make many people faint.  :)

Thanks guys :)

I'm a bit freaked out, my heart started racing and I went blind before it happened. I wonder if it was the 2 cans of red bull I had ???
I still can't see right at the minute.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #561 on: September 24, 2011, 09:09:37 AM »
That is fucked Crip.

Hang in there
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Binty

« Reply #562 on: September 24, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »
Sometimes I really despise having girl hormones.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #563 on: September 24, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »
That sucks.

I'm a bit freaked out, my heart started racing and I went blind before it happened. I wonder if it was the 2 cans of red bull I had ???

Has this ever happened to you before?  If you don't feel better soon, please go to a doctor to get checked out.  :hug:

People forget.

Offline ShyOne

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #564 on: September 24, 2011, 09:29:13 AM »
That sucks.

Has this ever happened to you before?  If you don't feel better soon, please go to a doctor to get checked out.  :hug:
I very often have near misses, I can't stand in shop queues unless they're very short for that reason. Didn't happen when I was able to walk around shopping but I can't really test that now to see if it's still true :P
My blood pressure is always low when they measure it (hardly ever seen it above 75 over 60 or at least I think that's the measurement it was) and my ECGs are normally okay. It's weird though, I'm scared to sleep :-\

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #565 on: September 24, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »
That sucks.

I very often have near misses, I can't stand in shop queues unless they're very short for that reason. Didn't happen when I was able to walk around shopping but I can't really test that now to see if it's still true :P
My blood pressure is always low when they measure it (hardly ever seen it above 75 over 60 or at least I think that's the measurement it was) and my ECGs are normally okay. It's weird though, I'm scared to sleep :-\

I'm not sure this is in any way related, but I have *almost* blacked out a couple of times after standing up too quickly
 from a crouching/kneeling position.  I have to stand up slowly and carefully if I have been crouching for a long time.  :nerd!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #566 on: September 24, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
That sucks.

:hug:

Any chance that it is hyperventilation?

Would with a low blood-pressure fainting happen more easy?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #567 on: September 24, 2011, 11:09:55 AM »

Oopsypoopsy (um yes, turned gay overnight :laugh:), too much wine I drank last night.. feel.. numb, I reckon. Not hangovered, just very chill. Going to shower for an hour now and.. we'll see..

Oh, yeah.. painting/varnishing again after that.

Numb because of turning gay? Or was it the wine? Or maybe the combination of those two?

Inquisitive mind does wonder.  :tard:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #568 on: September 24, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »
Ooops, see that CBC covered the hypo-tension question already.

Binty

« Reply #569 on: September 24, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »
It's probably your low blood pressure.  I sometimes get it so I can relate.