Educational

Author Topic: How are you feeling right now? (Pt 2)  (Read 170512 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: How are you feeling right now? (Pt 2)
« Reply #10095 on: August 14, 2017, 06:16:54 AM »
still trying to shake off this freaking virus.  thought i'd finally got over it yesterday, but feel; pretty crap again today.

on a brighter note, my long-awaited new prescription glasses finally arrived in the post, and I'm amazed at how crisp and clear the screen looks! I'd evidently got accustomed to things looking blurry through the Pound shop lenses, and forgot what things were meant to look like. No wonder they gave me headaches.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10096 on: August 14, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »
^the right glasses makes a world of a difference

Currently feeling settled which is nice.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10097 on: August 15, 2017, 12:15:32 AM »
Glad to hear it miss K. You SO deserve some rest, no matter what they say about 'the wicked' :D

Hope you feel better soon walkie and ren.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10098 on: August 15, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »
thanks, lestat.

feeling a LOT better today, if totally pissed off with the Post Office. Friggin' beurocrats. I've  had to borrow money off my son cos i can't get at my own money.  I'd had to order a new card , which must be colllected in person, from a Post Office, any Post office ...so they said. Nearest PO was all out of cards; so  was the next nearest.  And I used up the last bit of my cash finding that out. Grrrrr. I spent half-an-hour-or-so  on the phone to them asking how the heck a pennil;ss disabled person  is supposed to go to the next PO down the line, or even get home, come to that, with no freaking money for taxi fares? They just kept parroting the same script.  I managed to get passed on to a supervisor ,who parroted exect  same script, after several repetitions of which I remarked that they might as well get a robot to do her job .    I also said that she was showing a profound degree of disrespect by completely ignoring everyrhing i said. That was quite some after after I made a constructive suggestion, to which she replied that she can't do that.  So, of course,  I dropped that and went off on a new tack. Cf.  her mindlessly repeating "You'll just have to go to another Post Office" at me.

Oh! I also said (towards the end of the phone call) "you dfon't actually care, do you?" To which she said "Yes we do care. We have completely fulfilled our obligations, and given you a reference number so you can collect your new card. Now it's up to you to ..." (you guessed it!)  "...go to another Post Office" . So just for the heck of it , I attempting to expklain the difference between actually caring about someone else's situation and feeling smugly self-satified about having done the right thing.  Which she didn't get, ofc.  I guess she hadn't been programmed to compute that one.

In the end I just disconnected.  Didn't tell her that I actually had a plan B, OFC.  Actually,  I  wasn't even sure that plan B was gonna work, at stage, but i was too freaking angry to be worried about it *chuckle*

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:28:48 PM by Walkie »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10099 on: August 15, 2017, 03:52:16 PM »
Not entirely awake.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10100 on: August 16, 2017, 01:15:45 AM »
Damn walkie. I hate fucking beaurotwats like that. Although I've much more of a habit of going through, rather than with, or even around them. Either get outa the way, or get stepped on. (for such obnoxious pricks mind you not people in general. They dish it out, its karma thats all, you KNOW they've earned it if they have done it once, then you can tell they've done it a hundred times before and will do it again. So they are fair game for sport.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10101 on: August 16, 2017, 01:43:41 AM »
@ Walkie, it's almost worth sending this story to a consumer program. Don't know if there are any in the UK. Here there used to be one where they would spin out a story like yours to an absurdic sketch. Firms portrayed like that did not like it. They did get the chance to redeem themselves and fix it. Sometimes that made a difference.

Now there still are consumer programs but they don't do it the sketch way anymore. Yet they do work without broadcasting too. Collecting complaints like that and addressing companies with lots of similar complaints at once, proving it is not an individual case, but a pattern showing their policies. Sometimes it makes a difference.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10102 on: August 16, 2017, 03:39:22 AM »
Like 'spitting image' hyke?

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10103 on: August 16, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
Could always be worth threatening to take them to court for disability discrimination. Put the fear of god up their arses of a court case. Thats the kind of thing that will act as a mental cattle prod (suitable, really, since they are mentally, cattle)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10104 on: August 16, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »
That's infuriating Walkie and smacks of privilege. It's wonderful that so many other people have the luxury of simply driving to the next post to get what they need but guess what, not everyone has that option and it IS a luxury to be able to do so.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10105 on: August 17, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »
Thanks Lestat, Hyke and Phoenix :) well you guys made me chuckle, at least!

I'm not at all sure I have the energy to take this further.  Consumer program is a fun idea Hyke, We used to have one called "that's Life" which was a hoot, and turned it's presenter Esther Rantzen into a star.  I don't know if there's anything similar nowadays. 

The Post office is not so much a business as a British Institution, with all the arrogance and lack-of-accountability that entails. Albeit it's being sliced into liitle pieces and sold off piecemeal...well, that only makes matters worse.  That  means that you moment you find fault with it's machinations, all the disparate pieces start passing the buck around themselves. I already had a bit of that the other day , eg,  "It's not our responsibility to ensure that a Post Office does'rt run out of cards; it's their responsibbility to maintain sufficient stocks so that never happens. Your quarrel is with that post office not us.

*sigh* yeah, that woman was  prejudiced as all-get-out (she came as near as dammit to saying outright that I could  walk to next PO if only I chose to do so. She said thaty's what she would d,. and that's what what everybody else did.  ) but I'm sure the other Brits on the forum will know exactly what i mean when i say it's pretty mild, compared with  the Tory  Government's attitude, and the Department of  Social Insecurity. (to correct it's usual doublethink title). And yet people still voted for the Tories. WTF?

Anyway, I don't quite see it as pointful (or even fair, TBH) to single out one small cog in an enormous, inhuman and  dehumanising machine. 

Amd now I've got this  utterly brilliant early Genesis track, playing in my head again. Amazing how this never gets old, only more and more true, as the years roll by:

(yeah, that's the whole album, but the track I'm thinking of is the first one  Called "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight"

Oh! on second thoughts, the following link is better, combining aforementtioned track with it reprise , at the end of the album, called "Aisle of Plenty" . It's incomplete without that.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:41:03 AM by Walkie »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #10106 on: August 17, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
  Let down.  Aimless.  I need to get excited about some new stuff.  :jaded:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10107 on: August 17, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
why let down?

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10108 on: August 17, 2017, 08:16:26 PM »
When is the last time you sketched/painted?
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10109 on: August 17, 2017, 11:32:22 PM »
Newly awake. Weirdly hyper.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein