Educational

Author Topic: How are you feeling right now? (Pt 2)  (Read 169054 times)

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
Re: How are you feeling right now? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9165 on: October 07, 2016, 07:29:22 PM »
Not sure. Tired; fuzzy round the edges thanks to a heavy head cold and three bottles of Batemans Mocha Beer; cautiously optimistic; a bit overwhelmed. All at once. Much happening at the moment, some good,some currently stressful. I should really try to sleep since I have to be up for work in five hours.  :GA:
Does beer help a cold?

A few dark strong ones does help me if I'm full of cold, both by numbing the passages a bit to reduce the coughing and discomfort and allowing me to sleep for a bit. Felt a fair bit better this morning as I was able to nod off upright in my chair so all the shit hadn't settled on my chest.
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9166 on: October 07, 2016, 07:55:23 PM »
Not sure. Tired; fuzzy round the edges thanks to a heavy head cold and three bottles of Batemans Mocha Beer; cautiously optimistic; a bit overwhelmed. All at once. Much happening at the moment, some good,some currently stressful. I should really try to sleep since I have to be up for work in five hours.  :GA:
Does beer help a cold?

A few dark strong ones does help me if I'm full of cold, both by numbing the passages a bit to reduce the coughing and discomfort and allowing me to sleep for a bit. Felt a fair bit better this morning as I was able to nod off upright in my chair so all the shit hadn't settled on my chest.
Actually looked it up, and read an article that say hops have a chemical called humulone which can help the body fight viruses, but a person would have to drink about thirty beers to get enough of the chemical. :laugh: Though there's also a lot of articles which suggest a small amount of alcohol of most any type for exactly what you said, getting a decent rest.

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #9167 on: October 08, 2016, 02:23:24 AM »
May have exceeded the recommended dose slightly last night so have a sore head.  :lol1:
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9168 on: October 08, 2016, 04:06:24 AM »
  I'm sorry to hear that, Walkie.  What a pain in the ass!  :thumbdn:

I feel pretty good at the moment.  Going to work soon with my friends.  We'll kick ass! :pirate:

Thanks , Weeble :)

I actually managed to get the place substantially cleaner and tidier , prior to house guest's arrival.  With minimal help  from son, since he had the fun job of travelling to London to meet her off her plane.  Ohhh! would i love to have that kind of excuse :D

Still not sure I'll be posting much cos , ummm, we have a house guest , ya know?

-Walkie :)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #9169 on: October 08, 2016, 04:49:25 AM »
Hops are also an ingredient in commonly OTC herbal-based sedatives. Typically in combination with valerian.

Mild, not overpowering, certainly not to somebody that like I do, takes a pharmaceutical sedative-hypnotic, in its antiseizure capacity here, but still tolerance is built. The valerian is much more of an interesting little devil however. I like to use, occasionally, those valerian/hop based (and pure valerian extract based without hops also, to which the effect appears to be due) an entire pack or sometimes two, for the pronounced and quite astonishingly..well...there just aren't words that do it justice.

Sedative effect is primary, but once asleep valerian, seems to be a really, really powerfully oneirogenic herb. Effect is via GABAa receptors, at least primarily, the same as are the targets of sleeping pills of many kinds, not including antihistamines, which are crap generally for that purpose. I mean the likes of the benzodiazepines (valium, librium, rohypnol/roofies [never had roofies myself but have had its close analog nitrazepam, and the nitrobenzodiazepines seem to be the best of the lot] and ativan/lorazepam. as well as the barbiturates, such as seconal, amytal sodium, phenobarbital, as well as the Z-drugs such as zolpidem and the highly atypical one, that is often used as the prototype ligand for defining, in the physiological sense, the GABAa receptor in radioligand binding assays, muscimol, which is the active substance in the fly agaric mushroom, long used in ritual and by siberian folk, as an intoxicant. And by me, especially as a tonic in the winter as it renders one insensitive to the bite of the cold, and to cook with, in small quantities its my favourite spice for cooking with meat. I will'nae suffer a chilli con carne to disgrace my bowl by arriving lacking in a spoonful of fly agaric powder added to the cookpot.

Anyhow, valerian. Small doses for a person's GABAa agonist tolerance if any, lead to sleep. Larger ones to the most powerfully vivid, ofttimes lucid and in-your-face episodes of constant, constant constant and intense dreaming. Its almost like a classic psychedelic in intensity, very very different mode of action from any of them, bar maybe muscimol. Its actives are similar in structure, or many are, to the anticonvulsant valproate, aka epilim. So it wouldn't surprise me one tiny bit if they were sodium channel modulators in a similar way, but also one at least, binds the GABAa receptor at the loreclezole allosteric binding site (an allosteric site is one that is situated on the receptor complex, but is also separate from the binding site of the main neurotransmitter, and is thus unable to displace radiolabelled neurotransmitter, at least not unless there is such an interaction as a change in receptor conformation that renders agonist-bound receptors susceptible to or directly inducing a conformational change that makes the agonist binding less favourable, and so would cause release. But classically speaking, its a separate site that doesn't directly bind neurotransmitter, but rather modulators of the action of that transmitter, either positively or negatively, in accordance with their facilitating or negating the amplitude of the effect of the neurotransmitter in question. For example, GABA, gamma-aminobutyric acid is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, and an orthosteric agonist or antagonist, e.g the agonist muscimol binds at the same site GABA does and can displace radiolabelled GABA. However an allosteric positive modulator for example diazepam/valium binds at its allosteric regulatory site, and when in the presence of GABA, increases the flow of Cl- ions [GABA receptors are chloride channels, GABAa being a heteropentamer, that is composed of 5 different subunits forming various different subtypes of GABAa receptors, sensitive to different allosteric ligands, all sensitive to GABA itself. These arrange as a pentameric, cyclic structure forming the central pore of the receptor, that when opened, by GABA binding, inducing a conformational shift in the geometry of  the GABAaR, which is situated upon/within the cell membrane, allows chloride ions to flow in and out, the influx, in exchange for sodium ions results in hyperpolarization of the cell, and renders it less likely towards being subject to excitation, and thus less likely to fire an action potential in response to stimuli.)

The loreclezole site intrigues me a lot, given the experiences I've had with valerian, christ its intense as hell, almost instant tolerance (tachyphylaxis, a rapidly induced, but short lived tolerance to the effects of a drug), to the point where it cannot be done for more than perhaps 2 nights in a row. This does not however produce withdrawal symptoms of any kind, although long term use presumably could do so. But it does prevent use as a dream inducer.  I'd love some time to either buy a little, or synthesize a few grams of loreclezole for testing, because it was absolutely fucking incredible, every time I've used valerian extract at high doses, good god, went on all night, slight awakenings every so often, and more or less continuous (as perceived, non-stop dreaming, so strong was this effect that it almost felt, despite the absence of nightmarish scenery, like being on a rollercoaster, or tossed and turned and buffedted, thrown about on a stormy ocean current.  Never felt anything like it, I honestly, have never known its like. Left me exhausted the next morning, although I'd had a good long sleep, but just from the constant, unceasing intensity of it all.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9170 on: October 08, 2016, 05:48:27 AM »
Blocked up. Hayfever is a pain in the arse. I am hoping the Rhinocort will work tonight.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9171 on: October 08, 2016, 06:28:33 AM »
Better.

Actually stumbled upon someone's blog post that totally made my day.  8)

Just someone's childhood memories from about 40 some years ago.

She is the kid on the right...the brat playing on the mechanic's creeper on the left is me.

You were/are a cute brat.  :)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9172 on: October 08, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
Better.

Actually stumbled upon someone's blog post that totally made my day.  8)

Just someone's childhood memories from about 40 some years ago.

She is the kid on the right...the brat playing on the mechanic's creeper on the left is me.

You were/are a cute brat.  :)

Does that other person have a rifle pointed in a personal direction?   
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9173 on: October 08, 2016, 09:53:56 AM »
It's a jack.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9174 on: October 08, 2016, 11:18:46 AM »
It's a jack.

Whew, that's a relief.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #9175 on: October 08, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »
Feeling intense gratitude towards a certain person. They will go unnamed and unalluded to. Merely that they off their own back decided to send me 2g of a life-changing drug. Memantine, its called, its usually used for alzheimer's, although with moderate and evanescent success in that condition.

I have tried it however, bought some and when I can afford it I want to save until I have enough to do more cycles on it. Cycles because I simply cannot afford it.  The person knows this, and said to me that it was because I naturally thirst insatiably for knowledge, learning and having not had the opportunities others have had to study formally yet lifelong, have fought for autodidactic learning and because now I am struggling so much, they decided to in a sense that it wouid be good i I got a little payback for once. Even threw in a few hundred mg of a MOST uncommon little treat as well, the 6-monoacetyl homolog of dihydroheroin. Of course I cannot let that go unthanked. And I will not. The memantine when I last had some, it was literally, without exaggeration, in terms of quality-of-life, life changing, I was again capable of SO much, yet I could not afford to both continue taking it, and eat.  And I do not wish to end up like my fucking mother did before she died, or almost worse, aware, yet unable to do things. I'd sooner take a quick bullet in the head, than become unable to function, working at the bench. For the bricks and mortar I live in are simply a means to keep food from the rats and keep the rain from soaking me as I sleep, to keep warm, watered and have a flushing toilet. The lab? that is home.

The origin of the memantine must go anonymous of course, but this is providing the stepping stone to getting me and my life fully, properly on track. And for that, gratitude is due.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9176 on: October 08, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »
Tired.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9177 on: October 08, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »
Meh.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9178 on: October 08, 2016, 03:58:22 PM »
It's a jack.
Takes one to know one, hmm? :D

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9179 on: October 08, 2016, 09:48:27 PM »
Physically exhausted, mentally wired up from work and the cluster fuck that it is!   
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant