Author Topic: How are you feeling right now? (Pt 2)  (Read 131979 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: How are you feeling right now? (Pt 2)
« Reply #10395 on: October 31, 2017, 05:08:50 AM »
I know that feeling DD. Only in my case my getting home from work, I never LEFT home to begin with. So I'm clocking off, and just going from the lab fridge to the fridge with a chilly bottle of beer in it and putting my feet up on the sofa.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10396 on: October 31, 2017, 06:18:47 AM »

I have heard that this occurs from time to time.
 :2thumbsup:
Mystery to me.
I had no idea how much stress it was causing me until I finally got it taken care of. Now the company will stop blowing up my phone (I had to return equipment which was supposed to be returned on moving day but movers accidentally packed it in the moving van and I had to wait until we stumbled across it in the unpacking post move).
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10397 on: October 31, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »
Blowing up your phone miss K?  dare I even ask?

(and as for the earlier mercury-free reference, for comparison, this and processes much alike to it are the alternative: https://www.scribd.com/doc/29100750/Amphetamine-Sulphate-Synthesis )

AKA the 'Al-Hg', in this 'P2NP' stands for 1-phenyl-2-beta-nitropropene, which one would make by means of a knoevanagel condensation performed using benzaldehyde and nitroethane, using a catalytic base, ideally an organic amine base, and preferably as its acetate salt, isopropylamine acetate ought to be usable although I've never used it, people  have been known to employ butylamine and its acetate, as well as methylamine acetate so isopropylamine acetate should work well enough, and glyphosate weedkiller is often formulated as glyphosate isopropylamine salt, in roundup, etc., the liquid concentrates could simply be basified with caustic soda solution and distilled, either condensing the freebase isopropylamine, or else passing the vapors into glacial acetic acid, or even spirit vinegar, boiled down to concentrate it, so one hasn't to evaporate a ton of water from an isopropylamine acetate dilute solution. Easier to concentrate the vinegar first, if one can't buy glacial acetic acid (99-100% acetic acid) on say, ebay. And its cheap.

The nitroethane is the most difficult bit, but even that can be had on ebay (ideally use a go-through, and don't buy benzaldehyde at the same time, it'd be better to have separate people buy those and then sell them on to you if you weren't going to make the nitroethane (if anyone wants, I could give people a guide to that too) and making benzaldehyde isn't extremely hard either.)

I didn't write the above guide to the Al-Hg though, and the way the author treats it, they don't warn enough of how exothermic it is, it runs hot and fast. And a cooling bath of salted ice/water needs to be available, or an ice bath, with a mix of methylated spirits and water/salt ready mixed, as a two-part set, so the ice stays unmelted, mostly, until needed, if needed, so the flask can be immersed in a cryo bath rapidly if  the temperature starts to spike too much, and I heartily reccomend that attention bee paid to scale-up if people think of doing so, that the flask size needed increases dramatically, as does the requirement for efficient condensers running very cold fluid through them, and stacking multiple condensers on top of each other, ideally with a tube leading from the very topmost end into a tank and connected with a wide-bore section of hose, to avert the catastrophic potential for a blast-off of material from the flask up and out of the condensers, because at larger scale the sheer exothermia of the reaction is quite capable of causing the solvent to rapidly boil and shoot up and out, which would launch mercury-containing acidic toxic wastes everywhere)

As for the P2NP, there is a rather nifty improvement on the traditional methods of conducting the knoevanagel condensation, that rather than using heating on the steam-bath or hot water/oil bath, uses a microwave. Doesn't need to be anything special, but a bowl to contain the flask, and a cotton wool or tissue paper plug to gently insert, with the thermometer into the neck of the flask, which prevents the P2NP vapors from exiting the flask and rendering the air rather irritating and acrid. One could also perhaps use a heat-sink consisting of containers of H2O in with it, and one must pay close attention to the heating, as it is rapid, and one wants to keep it at about 75 'C) and irradiate it in pulses, in-between, cooling down to RT in a water bath of cold water)

It seems to improve the cleanliness of the product, as well as the yield. Quite impressed by all accounts too by the speed with which the reaction takes place. The microwave irradiation can shortcut a half-molar (based upon either nitroethane or benzaldehyde, a half mole of each reactant) synthesis from taking 7 hours down to thirty minutes (and that was..some experimental data I came across, comparing time courses of microwave irradiation methods at different scales, even 20 minutes, perhaps less may be possible even at this scale. Maybe as low as a quarter hour total irradiation time.

Not that I'd do such a thing myself, of course, as to reduce the P2NP to anything illegal. I'm curious enough to compare times myself, though in its simple formation..

And of course, it is not valueless in and of itself.

Done on a steam-bath, even at smaller scales it still takes about 5-6 hours, same goes for a hot water bath. Microscale, 10 minutes in the MW. (10/11ml/1g of benzaldehyde/nitroethane/amine catalyst acetate salt respectively) (note-microwave heating is nonlinear, what may take a given item being heated from room temperature [say, take 20 'C as RT for example] to 40 'C would take less time to go from 40 to 80 'C by a considerable period of time) so it does need to be watched and supervised closely. However the MW reaction IS far faster, and all in all, superior.

And benzaldehyde can be prepared from toluene, the solvent, or else from benzyl alcohol, available pure and cheaply online, or if going as OTC as possible then by distilling certain types of paint-stripper which are based on benzyl alcohol.

But ACS-grade benz is available on ebay easily enough. Somewhat watched, so better buying outside the US or UK, and having somebody receive the goods and then transfer them by hand, using separate couriers is advisable, and this goes manyfold so if buying nitroethane (this IS really, really watched) although it can be made, I never have, owing to, well, as they say, where there is a will, there is a way. And one has one's ways:)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10398 on: October 31, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
A bit down.
I know, I know, it's just that I don't know what should be there. :GA:
Could put some awesome Jack quote in there.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • The member temporarily known as GLF
« Reply #10399 on: November 05, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »
glad i didn't come here sooner.

been having one heckova week , what with son moving out on Saturday, as planned  ( but not to say all plans were smoothly executed *chuckle*. It's been a mammoth p[roject ) whilst concurrently suffering one huge emotional crisis ( The love of his life having dumped him the previous weekend) .

Pleased with both son and myself. we found time for long heart-to-hearts, and he's coped admirably.  Also , as he left, he gave  me a great big, long hug and   told me how glad he is to have a Mum like me, and how much he will miss me.

Now I turn my attention back to I2, I think to myself: ye gods! How right was I  to suspect  that this woul;d not be the best way to relax for a few odd moments  :LOL:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:54:29 AM by Walkie »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10400 on: November 05, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
 :hug: for you and your son.

It's hard to see kid getting dumped.

And it's weird to notice how you can miss the ex of a kid yourself after a while, when they were nice and warm people.

Did son move away far?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #10401 on: November 05, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »
:hug: for you and your son.

It's hard to see kid getting dumped.

And it's weird to notice how you can miss the ex of a kid yourself after a while, when they were nice and warm people.

Did son move away far?

Thanks hyke :)

He moved about 100 miles up the road. Might not sound much to the Americans here, but it's quite a distance  for your average poor Brit without private transport  (especially my self, given present problems with using public transport) .

It;s ironic that his original decision to relocate was to be closer to said girlfriend.

And she is nice, warm people . And I think this is probably just a hiccup. I very much hope  so.

Son and I both  think she timed the dumping to minimise on pain to himself, and guilt for herself , thinking it would be better for him, if he didn't relocate under false hopes. We also think that she underestimates his tenacity. He loves her quite enough to want to be there for her, if and when needed, whether dumped or no. He'd never forgive himself if he just caved in, stayed where he is and (likel;y) just sank into a state of depression  She has ben going through a horribly shitty time in recent weeks. Not on his account, but their relationship  might well "count as "collateral damage " Anyway,  he doersn't want to  be stalled  in his own life, dumped or no, but to continue moving forward, and trying to make a better life for himself.

There were quite a few positives to pulleed out of analysing what went wrong between them: lessons to be learned, inner strength discovered , etc.

One big positive, perhaps: son has suddenly decided to study for Psychology BSc.  whilst working part-time.  Fortunately,  he has a couple of months left to consolidate or change mind  before signing up, but I have an idea that he's actually found his vocation at last.  I do  hope so!  In any case,  he's gone off with some carefully -chosen books donated from  own little psycjhology library, and a deep interest in reading them.

In any case, neither of us is inclined to bitterness and blame. That girl has been enormously good for him. And this break-up might even be good for him too (in the character=-building sense)  as he  himself observed,...which is not to say it doesn't hurt like the blazes ofc.  You don't fall in love to build your character, do you?  Andf if that's all you get at the end of the day, you're not gonna be a happy bunny. However,  the jury's still out as to what exactly he gets at the end of the day.   
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 12:34:34 PM by Walkie »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10402 on: November 05, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
been having one heckova week , what with son moving out on Saturday, as planned  ( but not to say all plans were smoothly executed *chuckle*. It's been a mammoth p[roject ) whilst concurrently suffering one huge emotional crisis ( The love of his life having dumped him the previous weekend) .

:( :( :(

Everything seemed to be going so well with them last I knew.
People just like to think they can know who the monsters are, but they can't.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #10403 on: November 05, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »

:( :( :(

Everything seemed to be going so well with them last I knew.
yep . indeed .  but.  well. some people are a tad uncomfortable with happiness and shit like that., aren;'t they. ? prolly had to crash at some point in time. :(. too good to be deserved and all that.  *sigh*

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10404 on: November 05, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »
Well I hope you guys are reading it right and it's just a bump in the road.
People just like to think they can know who the monsters are, but they can't.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10405 on: November 06, 2017, 04:14:23 AM »
Less than pleased. Turns out that a shipping company is demanding about £70 in VAT, fucking bastards.

Thats on the rotavap I bought recently, which itself cost me 1.150 K. VAT is that last thing I sodding want. Twats. The seller could at least have understated the proce for tax  reasons, like so many sellers do. especially since it was over a grand USD