Author Topic: What are You doing right now? (Pt 2)  (Read 66675 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What are You doing right now? (Pt 2)
« Reply #4185 on: October 18, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »
looking for a book I want online, so I can get it through LibGen (gen.lib.rus.ec) to see if I can find the companion volume.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4186 on: October 18, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
Yay! found it and  bagged it :)

(Milos Hudlicky's 'reduction in organic chemistry); already got the one by him on oxidation reactions and oxidizing agents and it seems to be quite comprehensive, so I figured why not download  the prequel/sequel. Didn't take long, just a minute or two to find it and grab a .PDF copy:)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4187 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »
Watching tv, trying to stay awake until I drop SO off at work
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4188 on: October 18, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »

Basking in the glow of a finished project!

I re-vamped our pantry. We had shitty, ancient shelves that could stack cans four high. I pulled it all out and re-did the shelving to accept modern sized things; instead of all tall I set some to just tall enough to accept a modern sized can and some to fit quart jars and the lower areas are for large things like twenty five pound bags of rice or flour, etc.

Got it all scienced and mathed out and set in place, painted all semi-gloss white and ready to use. AND re-set

I feel like a hero!  This really needed to happen. Seemed like a crap project for ages, but once (kicked into it by my sweet wife) finished, WOW! I love it.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4189 on: October 18, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »

OH! I forgot. I also added little LED lights here and there to make it easier to see where things are.
I also added a double sided spice rack at the end of the wall with eight little shelves on each side and a hinge to flip from side to side. All our spices only take up half of the area available. I fully expect it will be full after a couple of trips to the market.
 :2thumbsup:

I think the spice rack is probably the true "Queen of the Ball" in this project.

My wife is happy.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4190 on: October 18, 2017, 09:20:08 PM »
I would be happy too, that sounds excellent!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4191 on: October 18, 2017, 09:25:16 PM »

Thank you.

It was not that hard at all. Just getting started was the giant mountain I had to climb.

It is going to be awesome!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4192 on: October 18, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »
Heh. I kind of did that the other way around a while back. My grandmother when she was still alive, she had a wooden spice rack with these old, old glass-topped push-fit glass jars full of spices. All by the time they got here, old as dust and no use anymore, so I took the rack over for my own use and use it to keep reagents in the jars.

Your spice rack sounds like a really neat job :) Always good to have a wide range of herbs, spices, dried mushrooms with various unique culinary flavouring uses etc (I especially like, after curing it, as it must be before use, to use fly agaric mushroom, Amanita muscaria, powdered either as a base for making spice blends for meat, or added with other spices to chillies and steaks and such, Works wonders, especially and most of all upon the red meats

What I'm doing right now is getting my protective gear on and getting ready to set up a gas-generator for the production of a solution of anhydrous hydrogen chloride (hydrochloric acid gas) in anhydrous isopropanol, just need to clean my pressure-equalized addition funnel and set up a couple of bits of glassware, filter something and I'm ready to make it and use it, by means of pair of two- necked round bottom flasks, one of them having a bit of glassware customized from broken parts, specifically for piping gases into things using regular lab flasks as gas generator and receiver (the other neck of the receiver is for putting a drying-tube full of dessicant in to keep water vapor out until one is quite ready and waiting to do whatever it is they are about to do, allowing gas exchange so the system is not put under pressure or liable to suck back.)

A little concentrated sulfuric acid goes in the flask being used as the generator, to serve as dehydrating agent and absorb the H2O, when concentrated hydrochloric acid is added, bit by bit by bit and is dehydrated, sending a stream of HCl gas out of the tube from the glassware for the purpose, made from a broken separatory funnel and in to the other flask, containing the pre-dried anhydrous isopropanol and the remainder ends up passing out of the drying agent tube and removed.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4193 on: October 20, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »
Roasting a cigar tin full of bicarb right next to the oven gas flame to dehydrate it to sodium carbonate (for drying some acetone);  while i sit waiting for my  now well-dried isopropanol to have the quicklime (and the Ca(OH)2 it hydrates to)  finish settling out of suspension, which the bulk of it has, although it'll still need filtering to remove a bit of solid crap from it before use. nearly done though;)

OK, I'm curious ... who smoked those cigars, you or your dad?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4194 on: October 20, 2017, 09:50:23 AM »
Browsing this place. Trying to fix Thunderbolt issues on the laptop.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4195 on: October 20, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »
Trying to convince myself to get up and make dinner. I have zero energy to do adulting things.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4196 on: October 20, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »
Trying to convince myself to get up and make dinner. I have zero energy to do adulting things.
Trying to convince myself to make a proper effort at homework. I have zero energy to do it (not only adulting but isn't it a kid thing too?).
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4197 on: October 21, 2017, 03:49:09 AM »

OH! I forgot. I also added little LED lights here and there to make it easier to see where things are.
I also added a double sided spice rack at the end of the wall with eight little shelves on each side and a hinge to flip from side to side. All our spices only take up half of the area available. I fully expect it will be full after a couple of trips to the market.
 :2thumbsup:

I think the spice rack is probably the true "Queen of the Ball" in this project.

My wife is happy.
Nice to see you posting again, DD :)  And I am now jealous of your wife!

:plus: for an awesome, conscientous job.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4198 on: October 21, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
*waves to Walkie*

About to go grocery shopping. My friend is visiting from out of town, and they're not gluten intolerant, but they are pescatarian, so food prep is going to be... interesting.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4199 on: October 21, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »
Trying to convince myself to make a proper effort at homework. I have zero energy to do it (not only adulting but isn't it a kid thing too?).
Yes, definitely both. I have homework to do as well. I need to push myself to get to it tomorrow.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad