Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 232867 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #3405 on: June 23, 2012, 02:12:50 AM »
Migraine in the works, I think.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3406 on: June 23, 2012, 05:52:54 AM »
Just looked at the requirements for 4th year Practical Placement at uni. It says, "Please provide a brief motivational statement. Include approximately 5 key reasons why you want to enrol in this unit, what you expect to get out of the unit and how this fits in with your long term career plans."

I don't even know what this unit entails, where the uni places students or whether the students have to find their own placement.

Plus I don't have long term career plans for psychology. I think about things like this and then I realise I am on a disability pension for a reason. It makes me sad to know that I would not be able to handle working in this field. It isn't for people like me.

What if you used your degree to help advocate for other people with disabilities? Would that be something you would feel comfortable doing?
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #3407 on: June 23, 2012, 06:11:29 AM »
Just looked at the requirements for 4th year Practical Placement at uni. It says, "Please provide a brief motivational statement. Include approximately 5 key reasons why you want to enrol in this unit, what you expect to get out of the unit and how this fits in with your long term career plans."

I don't even know what this unit entails, where the uni places students or whether the students have to find their own placement.

Plus I don't have long term career plans for psychology. I think about things like this and then I realise I am on a disability pension for a reason. It makes me sad to know that I would not be able to handle working in this field. It isn't for people like me.

I think you underestimate yourself, seriously.  How many other people on that course have no clue what to put for those questions?  I bet there is a few.

I think questions like that are designed to stump you,  just so they can see how inventive you are with your answer!  You could put that you think it will be a challenge, but that you are keen to push yourself.  I don't know how relevant it is if it doesn't appear in your long term career plans  -  you won't actually KNOW until you do it!  :viking:

Even if it does not become part of your career path, there is still much you could take from a course like that.  You seem to be a very capable person, Ren. :thumbup:
blah blah blah

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3408 on: June 23, 2012, 07:41:05 AM »
What if you used your degree to help advocate for other people with disabilities? Would that be something you would feel comfortable doing?
I am not sure since I have troubles advocating for myself. Usually my mum or my LAC (Local Area Coordinator) helps me in this respect. When I go to uni I only just pass the participation side of things and I do try. It has not been very interactive which is surprising for psychology. I guess it all happens in the postgraduate years. I still have doing another degree in mind after I finish this one. But I do need to finish this one to start the other.
I think you underestimate yourself, seriously.  How many other people on that course have no clue what to put for those questions?  I bet there is a few.

I think questions like that are designed to stump you,  just so they can see how inventive you are with your answer!  You could put that you think it will be a challenge, but that you are keen to push yourself.  I don't know how relevant it is if it doesn't appear in your long term career plans  -  you won't actually KNOW until you do it!  :viking:

Even if it does not become part of your career path, there is still much you could take from a course like that.  You seem to be a very capable person, Ren. :thumbup:
Thank you.
I am going to see if I can get away with not doing the unit at all. I am doing the 4th year research project next semester and that is all. Then next year I will finish that along with doing 4th year seminar. Hopefully that will be my degree finished. I have already dropped from full-time to part-time as full-time was almost too much to handle.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #3409 on: June 23, 2012, 08:09:29 AM »
I honestly think you are very brave for doing a course to degree level.  The fact that you have stuck at it this long indicates you are a person of worth in the eyes of any perspective employer!

If you are determined to finish your degree then i have no doubt in your ability to do so.  Maybe take a year off when it is over?  Give yourself a well earned pat on the back and chill out.  You do seem a little pessimistic about things,  a bit like your glass is half empty?  Are you still enjoying your studies?
blah blah blah

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3410 on: June 23, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »
Bit off a tooth. :grrr:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3411 on: June 23, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »
The rear universal joint went on the van and the drive shaft fell to the street. So I had to get towed home.  It was a pain in the ass to fix but the part was just $17
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3412 on: June 23, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
There's a car on fire up the street from me. It's just parked on the curb, completely engulfed in broad daylight. Weird. Fire trucks are there now.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3413 on: June 23, 2012, 06:56:23 PM »
Millipedes....where the fuck are these things coming from?

:GA:

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3414 on: June 23, 2012, 07:16:52 PM »

*shudder* I hate those things!!! Friend of mine had issues with them and I remember reading this article about them. http://blog.ecosmart.com/index.php/2010/01/02/house-millipedes-is-your-house-a-millipede-hot-spot-2/

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3415 on: June 23, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »

*shudder* I hate those things!!! Friend of mine had issues with them and I remember reading this article about them. http://blog.ecosmart.com/index.php/2010/01/02/house-millipedes-is-your-house-a-millipede-hot-spot-2/

I read the same article.  :LOL: 

I've sealed all the cracks around the walls in the basement and the ones I could find outside, and yesterday went around the perimeter of the house with spray. The numbers are decreasing and I had alot of casualties this morning...but these things are seriously freaking me out.  :zombiefuck:

New house, new bugs I guess. 

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3416 on: June 23, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »

I read the same article.  :LOL: 

I've sealed all the cracks around the walls in the basement and the ones I could find outside, and yesterday went around the perimeter of the house with spray. The numbers are decreasing and I had alot of casualties this morning...but these things are seriously freaking me out.  :zombiefuck:

New house, new bugs I guess.

We both must have googled "Where do millipedes come from"  :lol1:

They're gross. Blech.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3417 on: June 23, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
The rear universal joint went on the van and the drive shaft fell to the street. So I had to get towed home.  It was a pain in the ass to fix but the part was just $17

I remember my Dad fixing the U joints on the cars.  It was recommended that every X miles they be greased.  But to grease them you had to do the same thing as replacing them, so we just drove cars until the joint went.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3418 on: June 23, 2012, 08:52:25 PM »

I remember my Dad fixing the U joints on the cars.  It was recommended that every X miles they be greased.  But to grease them you had to do the same thing as replacing them, so we just drove cars until the joint went.

The replacement ones have grease fittings but they are in such a place you just about have to remove them to get a grease gun on it :-\
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3419 on: June 23, 2012, 11:10:16 PM »
I honestly think you are very brave for doing a course to degree level.  The fact that you have stuck at it this long indicates you are a person of worth in the eyes of any perspective employer!

If you are determined to finish your degree then i have no doubt in your ability to do so.  Maybe take a year off when it is over?  Give yourself a well earned pat on the back and chill out.  You do seem a little pessimistic about things,  a bit like your glass is half empty?  Are you still enjoying your studies?
I am planning on having some time off when I have finished this degree. I know that most people don't, however. But because I am on a pension I can. Honestly, if I could work no problems in the field of psychology, it would be wrong of me to continue to take the pension from the government.

This last semester I didn't enjoy uni at all. There was three times as much work and I didn't do too well. I am hoping next semester will be different. I hope the project will be interesting.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae