Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 234578 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #15675 on: July 15, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
Another night without clear skies. I want to see the comet, damnit!

Clear here this morning and I got to see our little comet. It was dim, but a pair of binoculars brings it right in.
I did not do my typical Tuesday night watch thing yesterday, because of the time I covered for someone else. He "paid me back"  for covering for him a couple of months ago.
I was afraid that I would be asleep just before dawn, but ...   
Who am I kidding?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #15676 on: July 15, 2020, 04:04:04 PM »
The bank isn't putting out deposit slips anymore because of corona so you have to wait in line for them then go back to where they used to have them fill them out then wait in line again to make the deposit more than doubling the time your in there.  At least she gave me a stack of them so I can use the drive thru next time
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #15677 on: July 15, 2020, 04:12:27 PM »
Spent an hour trying to find a proper weed killer online. No luck.
Nervous about using glyphosate or simply can't find it?

I ordered Round Up from Amazon about two months ago. Just do not breathe it.
I was looking for Roundup but couldn't find it. Will check Amazon but I suspect they won't deliver here.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #15678 on: July 15, 2020, 04:19:42 PM »

Clear here this morning and I got to see our little comet. It was dim, but a pair of binoculars brings it right in.
I did not do my typical Tuesday night watch thing yesterday, because of the time I covered for someone else. He "paid me back"  for covering for him a couple of months ago.
Who am I kidding?
Tonight seems to be clear. I will look for it.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #15679 on: July 15, 2020, 06:42:56 PM »

I was looking for Roundup but couldn't find it. Will check Amazon but I suspect they won't deliver here.

Might be right.

We have a very invasive species of Japanese knotweed here and nothing helps like Round Up. I really fucked up last year. They have an attractive character and later an interesting flower and I usually mow them down in early fall just as they bloom. Then as I replenish the soil around my desirables, I usually dig out several root systems and they go straight to the trash can or the burn pile.
Last year the heavy rains came at a bad time and I had not yet mowed. Some of them went to seed.
Not sure how far this set me back trying to get rid of it.  Only a systemic will even hinder its growth.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:46:57 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #15680 on: July 16, 2020, 04:39:19 AM »

Might be right.

We have a very invasive species of Japanese knotweed here and nothing helps like Round Up. I really fucked up last year. They have an attractive character and later an interesting flower and I usually mow them down in early fall just as they bloom. Then as I replenish the soil around my desirables, I usually dig out several root systems and they go straight to the trash can or the burn pile.
Last year the heavy rains came at a bad time and I had not yet mowed. Some of them went to seed.
Not sure how far this set me back trying to get rid of it.  Only a systemic will even hinder its growth.

Ooooh. Japanese knotweed. We have regulations regarding the control of that stuff in the UK.  Lucky you don't live here.   It's not illegal to grow knotweed on your land , but  you could have faced big fines for sending the roots to the trash (which is all-too-likely to spread it) , and for the likely consequences of letting it go to seed.  it's also worth noting that the rhizomes can survive burning , so the residue still requires  careful disposal .

I had to do  research on knotweed control on accounrt of a nearby (i.e. it came withthin two yards  of my back garden at the nearest point)  infestation at my last address. I and a couple of other tenabts were struggling every which way to stop the stuff reaching our gardens; whilst a whole bunch of landlords ( seemed like every address had a different landlord) were variously attempting to sue each other or shrugging their shoulders. The local council just ducked out of the fray after consulting their maps and establishing that none of the affected land belonged to them , nay not even the connectng alleyway (They couldn't say who the alleyway belonged to, just that their map had it marked as "private property") . My nutcase of a landlady tried blaming those tenants who were trying to control the infestation. Sure enough, when i looked it up, she had the law on her side  to some extent.  That is, my next-door-neighbour who'd been going along the alleyway every year, heroically  hacking down all the overhanging knotweed before it had a chance to go to seed should not have been transporting the remains to the dump.  (Actually, there appeared to be nothing he could legally do with it, given his limited means. ) I was on the right side of the knotweed law , as it turned out.  I'd been  repeatedly spraying that very close patch (and one or two other patches)  with super-strength glyphosate solution and had actually managed to actually kill it , so it seemed (you have to wait about 5 years to be sure)  by the time any of the landlords did anything constructive. Still my landlady grumbled that I should not have let the dead stalks fall into the alleyway, and told me to  throw them back into the garden they came from (a very dodgy propostion, given that the landlord of that place  was now credibly denying that he'd ever  had any knotweed on his land. )

In the end, it was never really resoved. Most of the affected properties were eventually  treated by professionals in spacesuits, but the presumed epicentre (a garden that was wholly overataken by the stuff)  wasn't treated at all, because the owner couldn't be traced.  And now that both my next-door-neighbour and I have moved out, it will probably be spreading like wildfire again.

I tend to think of this kind of fiasco as yet another strong argument for bringing as much rented housing as possible back into public ownership.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 04:41:16 AM by Walkie »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #15681 on: July 16, 2020, 08:43:35 AM »

Who am I kidding?
Tonight seems to be clear. I will look for it.

No such luck this morning. Overcast skies, then some rain. I decided to go to bed.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #15682 on: July 18, 2020, 02:05:18 PM »

Might be right.

Japanese knotweed is what we're trying to get rid of. It's incredibly hard to kill.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #15683 on: July 20, 2020, 07:50:05 AM »
Dad told me the Ridge is full of stranded Victorian caravanners who won't budge until the QLD authorities let them continue on north over the border.
Turn around, head south and go home you dipshits!

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #15684 on: July 20, 2020, 08:16:16 AM »
Today's blood draw was painful and I'm not sure why. My arm aches and feels tired, if that makes sense. Wondering if it was because it's back to back weeks? Who knows. 3 down, 2 more to go.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #15685 on: July 20, 2020, 03:26:18 PM »
The biggest show I do all year has been canceled
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #15686 on: July 21, 2020, 02:01:20 AM »
Still no word from a client that should have made their mind up a week ago.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #15687 on: July 21, 2020, 05:44:14 AM »
I've been waiting for someone's email for over a week. I keep checking, even on my phone at various times throughout the day and still nothing.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #15688 on: July 21, 2020, 07:55:38 AM »
Woke up tired again and I keep getting paranoid it's not cub but covid.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #15689 on: July 21, 2020, 08:32:13 AM »
Woke up tired again and I keep getting paranoid it's not cub but covid.

A fever is usually the first sign.  But, I understand being paranoid.  It's hard not to be when so many other people are not following common sense guidelines out there....social distancing, masks, etc.  Your a single working mom, I don't know how much of a support system you have, or how much the cub goes down for a nap.  Find as many little rest spots as you can to give yourself a break.   
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant