Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 235734 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #14700 on: January 08, 2019, 05:33:10 PM »
I didn't get the bank scholarship. They said it was because they didn't think they could give me the level of support I'd need. Wondering if they mean it being an autism thing.
I'm sorry Ren. That seriously bites. If it was the autism thing, I question how that would be legal.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #14701 on: January 08, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »
That is BLATANTLY about your being on the spectrum (do they know?) or AD/H?/D. If so, then I'm pretty confident that you've got a case there for discrimination. The NTs class autism as a disability, and you'd be covered there for sure.

You should challenge that in court Ren. Hell, you might even get compensation out of it. Even the threat of being taken to task for it might be enough, although of course then you won't get compensation out of it, you could likely force them to give you the scholarship, though. Might get both if you actually take it to court.

Don't take that lying down honey, fuck no don't take that shit! you've the right to prove yourself worthy or otherwise, by virtue of your own effort and ability, not to have opportunities withheld from you because some uppity NT decided that you 'obviously would be unable to do it on your own, what else would you expect from an autistic', kind of crap. Don't fucking take that!

That really fucks me off Ren, seriously. Do NOT let them treat you like that! you don't deserve it, and you are fucking worth it. You've the right not to be viewed with lowered expectations. I'm betting aus has equality laws? because that isn't even treating you as just an equal, never mind as you deserve to be treated.

I am SO fucked off at them now.

And as for me....someone I really, really did not need busted, got busted, or almost, didn't get caught with any of what the pigs accused him of having on him, which would of course be ditched if they had had it., luckily. But fuck....now I'm gonna be in a bind, although something at least part of a remedy can be furnished by the one in question. but still gonna have to make up £165 to me.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14702 on: January 08, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »
I didn't get the bank scholarship. They said it was because they didn't think they could give me the level of support I'd need. Wondering if they mean it being an autism thing.
I'm sorry Ren. That seriously bites. If it was the autism thing, I question how that would be legal.

I agree, can you appeal to a higher authority?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14703 on: January 08, 2019, 08:48:35 PM »
The scholarships are specifically for people on the spectrum. The guys I was "competing" against were more geared towards the sort of work they required. I've done zero actual software testing so I'm not surprised they didn't want me.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14704 on: January 08, 2019, 10:46:04 PM »
Sorry to hear it. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14705 on: January 09, 2019, 12:25:36 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that Ren, that's a tough break.

It's so much harder for the current generation to catch a break. All I had to do was to pass a pretty simple aptitude test and I was put on a traineeship program. The expectation was that we had literally zero IT knowledge, as in never having turned on and sat in front of anything resembling a computer. A couple of the guys I did my 8 week course with had some limited experience in IT, but most of us were completely new to the whole shebang.

And this was for a 2 year traineeship, at decent money, starting as software developers. The job market (in Australia at least) is several levels tougher now than it was when I was starting out, that is for sure. I really admire the work ethic and the adaptability of the current generation. You'll hear plenty of people from my generation saying otherwise, but they're just grumpy old farts with short memories.

That said, please don't be tempted to give up. I've been out of work for longish stretches about 3 times in my career, always self funded, and sometimes I've gone literally months at a time without even getting an interview. But you need to adapt by being prepared to absolutely nail any opportunity that comes along. Because all you need is one person to give you a break. Get online, read everything you can about agile methodology (that's a big thing now) until you can fake it 'til you make it.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14706 on: January 09, 2019, 12:47:01 AM »
When I had the interview, I was shown around the building (even got to see the cold server room) and I remarked at their use of agile methodology (I saw Scrum written on one of their walls full of post-it notes) and how I had to write about it at Tafe. They were surprised that I knew about it so that was a point for me.

There's some pretty educational videos on YouTube about agile methodology. Sometimes it's more interesting to watch rather than read.

Thanks everyone for your support, it's nice to have you on my side.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #14707 on: January 09, 2019, 07:22:54 AM »
When I had the interview, I was shown around the building (even got to see the cold server room) and I remarked at their use of agile methodology (I saw Scrum written on one of their walls full of post-it notes) and how I had to write about it at Tafe. They were surprised that I knew about it so that was a point for me.

There's some pretty educational videos on YouTube about agile methodology. Sometimes it's more interesting to watch rather than read.

Thanks everyone for your support, it's nice to have you on my side.

Sorry to hear that Ren
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14708 on: January 09, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »
They may still keep you in mind.  Don't lose touch with them.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14709 on: January 09, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »
Forgot to eat until dinnertime, but dinner was good
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #14710 on: January 09, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »
Damn, sorry you didn't get it Ren *squeezes*

And miss K...you...as for YOU....you need to look after yourself hun. I know you'd not let other people down who needed it, you'd make sure THEY had a full stomach. So please, don't forget to care for yourself too, you give people so much of yourself, I KNOW there is a big, warm, snuggly heart inside that torso, so do try to make sure you get the love and care you deserve *hugs and squeezes*
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14711 on: January 09, 2019, 09:00:05 PM »
Aggravating relations who have the same annoying traits/characteristics/habits that you used to have.  I wasn't that gawdawful, was I?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14712 on: January 09, 2019, 09:13:57 PM »
They may still keep you in mind.  Don't lose touch with them.
They encouraged me to apply next year, seems it's an annual thing.
Aggravating relations who have the same annoying traits/characteristics/habits that you used to have.  I wasn't that gawdawful, was I?
What are the traits/characteristics/habits? Curious.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14713 on: January 10, 2019, 12:00:43 AM »
There was a boobs-out protest near where I work this morning. And I didn't find out until after it was over.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14714 on: January 10, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »
There was a boobs-out protest near where I work this morning. And I didn't find out until after it was over.
:lol1:

It's legal for women to go topless on Canada but nobody actually does it.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad