Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 233056 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #14505 on: November 04, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »
Pens.

So at work we get free pens. Woohoo.

It is rare for to be able to use more than 10% of the ink in those pens before they clog up and become useless. At that point you need to throw them away and grab another pen.

It would make sense for the manufacturers to charge 2 or 3 or even 5 times as much for a pen where the tiny bit of metal at the end lasts for most of the ink in the pen.

It's almost as if they want us to buy far more pens than we need.... oh wait....

Part of the problem is that we humans are not all that bright and we simply buy whatever is cheapest. A manufacturer who makes a really cheap pen that lasts for 1,000 words will make more money than a manufacturer who makes a slightly more expensive pen that lasts 10,000 words.

It's the same as airplane seats. We all complain about airplane seats getting smaller while our butts get bigger, but we still log on and buy the cheapest airfare to our destination almost every time. An airline with slightly roomier seats faces a choice of squeezing more passengers in or... being squeezed out of the market.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14506 on: November 04, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
So I googled why pens stop working, and the answer is pretty simple.

The ink is stored in a plastic tube with one end open to the air. Ink needs to have the property of drying quickly when exposed to air (so that it doesn't smudge when applied to paper).

Within a few months of manufacture the ink at the top of the open plastic tube dries and forms a plug that prevents more ink being drawn down and applied to the ball point.

Good to know but doesn't help me much. Pens have a limited shelf life, which explains why sometimes you get a cheap pen that lasts for ages and sometimes you get a cheap pen that only lasts a day or so.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #14507 on: November 04, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »

It is rare for to be able to use more than 10% of the ink in those pens before they clog up and become useless. At that point you need to throw them away and grab another pen.

A bit of heat (like a lighter flame) applied to the tip of a ball point can usually solve this.

Do it carefully, as this can cause the pen to 'explode' if you give it too much.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14508 on: November 04, 2018, 08:50:57 PM »

A bit of heat (like a lighter flame) applied to the tip of a ball point can usually solve this.

Do it carefully, as this can cause the pen to 'explode' if you give it too much.

Hmm, risk being blown up by my pen, or at least covered in hot ink, or walk to the stationery cabinet.

Tough choice. Now I just need a lighter.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #14509 on: November 04, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
Sometimes it's the little things. Jack likes nice office supplies. Invest in some quality pens which use refillable cartridges, or suggest this to people who don't know what to get you for gifts. Have found the best highlighters to be Sharpie brand liquid highlighters. The liquid makes them very long lasting and they can sit with the cap off without drying out. 

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #14510 on: November 04, 2018, 09:46:35 PM »

Hmm, risk being blown up by my pen, or at least covered in hot ink, or walk to the stationery cabinet.

Tough choice. Now I just need a lighter.

It's not that much ink, when it explodes. You suffer a greater risk by carrying a pen in your pocket. :P

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14511 on: November 05, 2018, 03:31:46 AM »
I splurged the cash for a bottle of M.A.C foundation today after getting expertly shade matched at Mecca Maxima and everything, but I think I already want my money back. Maybe the staff member in question mistakenly sold me the wrong bottle?

John Maclean's sworn go-to products are a hit or miss sometimes. I swatched his other fave foundation, Kat von D, and I swear it oxidised into a watermelon pink shade :zombiefuck:. Not that I would buy Kat von D because she's an anti-vaxxer loony :M

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14512 on: November 05, 2018, 03:45:02 AM »
I will also add that the Sephora at Charlestown Square is a dump. Half the testers were missing, massive floorspace but it was like there was nothing to choose from still. Empty tissue canisters, and according to Sephora marketeers there should be complimentary facial cleansing wipes in store - none of those either.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #14513 on: November 05, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
Since currently I'm barely able to walk more than just about far enough to get  to the downstairs bog if I need to give birth to a theresa may; my old man said rather than ME getting in the cab, he would, and  go pick everything up for me. He went, and although I had told him already he had completely forgotten I told him to not go to the doctor's surgery, and instead, this week, go direct to the  pharmacy. He had  a go at me at first for not telling him, until I did the same thing and told him it isn't MY fucking fault if I tell him something and he forgets what I said to him just a day or two before. Went to the docs,  and came home  instead of going  on to the pharmacy, where I'd already picked up the meds for this week, costing an unneeded five quid or so for the cab fare (he  can't drive just yet, although likely soon as he snapped his achilles tendon a little while  back, although it's healing now) meaning  he came home and immediately had to call another cab to go to the pharmacy where they had already gotten everything ready in advance, as when I picked up the oxy last friday, at least the lot I  knew about, I picked up today's rx, post-dated for today, and dropped it off at the same time to save me a journey I'm not even sure I could have made, and certainly not without godawful pain. I  only managed friday to get out of the cab, into the surgery, pick the scripts up  and drop them off at the pharmacy because at the time I still had just under 200mg intramuscular morphine. If I hadn't have had that in reserve I doubt I'd have been able to manage it. Even then it  still hurt like all fuck, and to say the least, I was VERY glad of that oxy after I got home in the cab, limped back inside on the crutches, swore a lot and collapsed exhausted on the sofa.

Didn't help either, being on crutches after temporarily putting my shoulder out, and all the strain on my bad knee didn't either, so I just knocked myself out cold with oxycodone, chlormethiazole and strong benzos plus a few muscle relaxers after taking some of the pain meds straight away, just to keep me going long enough to catch star trek-enterprise on TV, before sticking  a black t-shirt over my head and a blindfold over the top, snorting a fair bit of oxy, taking the downers and muscle relaxers and not waking up for  as long as bloody possible, before  going right back to sleep with more benzos when I did wake :P
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #14514 on: November 05, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
That moment when your dumping your recycling stuff into the receptacle and realize that half of it is political mailings and just one small box that contained boxed wine.........  ::) 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14515 on: November 10, 2018, 05:54:37 AM »
Coles don't sell the Chiko chicken kiev balls anymore, and the Coles brand ham and cheese croquettes have gone down from 12 per box to 8 per box :mad:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14516 on: November 10, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »
Coles don't sell the Chiko chicken kiev balls anymore, and the Coles brand ham and cheese croquettes have gone down from 12 per box to 8 per box :mad:
I remember when they took Lemon Crisp biscuits off the shelf. I nearly cried because they were what I ate for morning tea at work every day. They're back now which is good.

For some reason, Coles isn't stocking their usual range of cereal. I'm stuck buying either Nutri-Grain or Weet-Bix. Not a lot to choose from.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14517 on: November 11, 2018, 04:26:22 PM »
My foot hurts :thumbdn:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #14518 on: November 11, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
My foot hurts :thumbdn:

I'll rub yours if you rub mine.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #14519 on: November 11, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »
Too much rage and hate in my mind atm to think straight.  It's gonna be awhile to think straight so I can attempt sleeping!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant