Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 232965 times)

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #14475 on: October 16, 2018, 04:46:18 AM »
My engine's water pump is on the fritz.

Seems to be an ownership milestone for this kinda car :autism:
Thank god I have a service booked in next thursday.....at a dealership 3 hours away! The trouble I have to go to when I've severed all relationships with dealerships that are closer lol. Just one more service after this and it's cheap independents and Amsoil forever.

The thing is I don't know if I can make it 3 hours away to Newcastle with overheating issues due to a dying water pump. And how long will I be without a car while they fix it under warranty? Will they let me take a loan car all the way home? What if they don't, how will I get back? Are there parts even in stock somewhere or will they take weeks to come from the US?

How bad is it leaking?  If it's not too bad you might be able to nurse it in stopping half route to let it cool down and add some fluid. You might want taken in on a flatbed though. When anything is an overheating issue I like to err on the side of caution. 

I would call in and ask how long it will take, normally it takes awhile.... figure letting it cool down, draining coolant, water pump, timing belt, what ever they need to take off to get access, alternator etc....so I'd ask if they can they provide a loner and get it worked out in advance.

It's not leaking noticeably yet but I'm going to check if the fluid level has changed tonight before bed again.
Mechanic today found a few small coolant stains. He couldn't hear it making a noise (99% of my car's noise complaints fall on deaf ears...literally).
Driving very gingerly, low RPM's to avoid heating and pressure spikes.

As luck as it crush boi has a 4x4 and a car trailer, AND he happens to be going back to the Lost in the 50's museum in Newcastle this weekend for its closing down auction. He's hoping to bring himself back a Caddy convertible lol. I can bribe him to take my car on the trailer down and drop it off at the dealer, it's only a 20 min detour for him. Only problem is the service dept is closed on the weekend, but hopefully I can just park it on-street and leave the keys with a sales guy or something. They can take as long as they want I don't care, just as long as I have the car back to go see dad on the 12th of next month.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #14476 on: October 16, 2018, 05:17:08 AM »
Not a good morning for my poor joints. :(

Good to hear

Any chance your heart will give up sooner rather than later?

If it does I will come haunting you.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #14477 on: October 16, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »
My engine's water pump is on the fritz.

Seems to be an ownership milestone for this kinda car :autism:
Thank god I have a service booked in next thursday.....at a dealership 3 hours away! The trouble I have to go to when I've severed all relationships with dealerships that are closer lol. Just one more service after this and it's cheap independents and Amsoil forever.

The thing is I don't know if I can make it 3 hours away to Newcastle with overheating issues due to a dying water pump. And how long will I be without a car while they fix it under warranty? Will they let me take a loan car all the way home? What if they don't, how will I get back? Are there parts even in stock somewhere or will they take weeks to come from the US?

How bad is it leaking?  If it's not too bad you might be able to nurse it in stopping half route to let it cool down and add some fluid. You might want taken in on a flatbed though. When anything is an overheating issue I like to err on the side of caution. 

I would call in and ask how long it will take, normally it takes awhile.... figure letting it cool down, draining coolant, water pump, timing belt, what ever they need to take off to get access, alternator etc....so I'd ask if they can they provide a loner and get it worked out in advance.

It's not leaking noticeably yet but I'm going to check if the fluid level has changed tonight before bed again.
Mechanic today found a few small coolant stains. He couldn't hear it making a noise (99% of my car's noise complaints fall on deaf ears...literally).

As luck as it crush boi has a 4x4 and a car trailer, AND he happens to be going back to the Lost in the 50's museum in Newcastle this weekend for its closing down auction. He's hoping to bring himself back a Caddy convertible lol. I can bribe him to take my car on the trailer down and drop it off at the dealer, it's only a 20 min detour for him. Only problem is the service dept is closed on the weekend, but hopefully I can just park it on-street and leave the keys with a sales guy or something. They can take as long as they want I don't care, just as long as I have the car back to go see dad on the 12th of next month.

Sounds like it would make it with no problem, but I'd bribe him.  :laugh:

That car is too sweet to risk more problems from overheating if you don't have to.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #14478 on: October 16, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »

Trailering it would obviously be the best option since there's at least a small risk of the leak getting worse along the way there.

If not, then you could just take some extra jugs of water with you and stop every hour or so, let it cool down and check the level. Just keep a sharp eye out on the temp gage, take it easy and drive slow.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14479 on: October 16, 2018, 04:09:08 PM »

Trailering it would obviously be the best option since there's at least a small risk of the leak getting worse along the way there.

If not, then you could just take some extra jugs of water with you and stop every hour or so, let it cool down and check the level. Just keep a sharp eye out on the temp gage, take it easy and drive slow.
Since no one mentioned the other OBVIOUS point, be very careful removing the radiator cap after the engine is warm, even if it seems to be leaking and you might believe that there is no pressure. Radiators have been known to burn hands and arms severely from jumping to remove that cap too soon.

If it is truly your water pump that is the problem, it might have stopped pumping completely and if so then you might not get more than a couple of miles before your temperature gauge shows trouble.
I had a car that the impeller and the shaft that turns the impeller had become disconnected inside the water pump. No outward sign of trouble, no leaks, no telltale noise, no looseness in the impeller shaft, but no water pumping through the engine. I could only drive about a mile and the engine was overheating. The thermostat was working fine, so the radiator was pressurized and there was great danger in trying to remove the cap. I carried a big bath towel along just in case I had to remove the cap.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:10:39 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14480 on: October 17, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
Not a good morning for my poor joints. :(

Good to hear

Any chance your heart will give up sooner rather than later?

If it does I will come haunting you.

You'd be the most pathetic ghost ever.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14481 on: October 18, 2018, 03:06:26 AM »
Ok maybe there is no leak, because the coolant level hasn't changed a smidgen. Perhaps those stains are just oxidation (they are really odd stains, in only two spots, like poker straight lines that directly line up with the rear lip of the pulley). Just bad bearings in it methinks?
It's not overheating as such, just a few degrees C, but it seems to be getting up to temp quicker and taking longer to cool down.

Now I'm just worried the dealer will fob me off because they'll claim not to hear the noise...and they'll make me drive back home with the problem ignored.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #14482 on: October 24, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »
In which case, the correct course of action to take would be to say something like 'well *I* can tell it is there perfectly bloody well. And 'no', respectively. :D
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14483 on: October 25, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
My quick bitch is that I bought two Kindle books about proofreading and the methods they use are completely different from each other. I also had a look at an online course and their method is different again. There's not much about the Australian way of doing things either. It's either British or American.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14484 on: October 26, 2018, 10:49:51 AM »
In what way are they different?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14485 on: October 26, 2018, 06:33:35 PM »
The symbols for correcting mistakes are different. The American version wants the proofreader to make the stylesheet whereas for the British version, the editor gives it to you, the American version has you analysing the look and size of the font, the British version doesn't touch on this at all...etc.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14486 on: October 27, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »
The symbols for correcting mistakes are different. The American version wants the proofreader to make the stylesheet whereas for the British version, the editor gives it to you, the American version has you analysing the look and size of the font, the British version doesn't touch on this at all...etc.

Oh, right. I'd simply pick the one that fits your purpose and ignore the rest. Also, there are a variety of proofreading symbols, so just pick a set and be consistent.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #14487 on: October 27, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
Yeah, while I've no experience proofreading, unless you are actually required to use one over the other, use whatever you find you like the most, whatever you're most comfortable with.

As for me....I went to begin heating one of my pipes, but accidentally put the lighter both at a slight angle and to one  side of the glass, with the result that a burst of flame shot up my left nostril. No harm done, as I didn't get burned, it wasn't left on long enough to burn me, but it did immediately go and singe all the hair in my left nostril to a crisp. I could actually hear them sizzling, like tiny little sausages under a miniature  grill.  And of course, I could smell the acrid tang of roasted hair, doesn't  smell too nice to start with, but when it's actually HAPPENING right up your schnozzle, rather than wafting over on in from burning hair somewhere else, burning flesh, that kind of thing, it really isn't nice to have it generate itself up there :autism:

Thankfully I had  the presence of mind not to give a start, and in  doing, accidentally flick the contents of the pipe up into the air and lose it all (well not ALL of it, since I've got a fair bit left, I mean, all the loading of the pipe itself). Which would have been rather shitty indeed, because it isn't exactly cheap. Doesn't grow on bloody trees (ok, bad turn of phrase there, it doesn't grow on trees, but it does grow  in certain species of poppy plant, or rather, something is taken from them, cleaned up and reacted with a little acetic anhydride or acetyl chloride and a base to absorb the generated acid)

It's been melted now though under the lighter, as intended, so no risk of losing it, now it's stuck to the sides of the inside of the pipe :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14488 on: October 28, 2018, 06:10:19 AM »
So now you have some crinkled nostril hair? The way you described it made it sound funny. :D

Oh, right. I'd simply pick the one that fits your purpose and ignore the rest. Also, there are a variety of proofreading symbols, so just pick a set and be consistent.
I'll probably go with the British version since the way I spell certain words (like colour) is British. I'd like to proofread websites most of all. Mistakes galore that need fixing.

I started reading a Kindle book yesterday and so far I have found two spelling mistakes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 06:11:59 AM by renaeden »
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14489 on: October 29, 2018, 05:17:51 AM »
Work is bring out the avoidant side of me lately due to sticky situations with a few clients.
Like one that owes a heap of money to us AND the ATO, but the ATO demand their overdue returns be done ASAP, which will inevitably mean they will have even more to pay to us and them. But THEN the paperwork they sent for us to get started on their returns got lost in the post, not after they accused US of losing it.

Sometimes I want to quit just so I can start fresh elsewhere with new clients.