Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 233918 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #14430 on: September 26, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »
Just found out a friend of mine on Facebook still smokes even though she's been diagnosed with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). Geez I'm angry that she could be so stupid.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14431 on: September 26, 2018, 11:40:28 PM »
^It's what smokers do. You know it's not good for you and sometimes you get proof, but you still do it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #14432 on: September 28, 2018, 05:18:02 PM »
Just found out a friend of mine on Facebook still smokes even though she's been diagnosed with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). Geez I'm angry that she could be so stupid.

BIL is the same way, diagnosed this summer.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14433 on: September 28, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »
What is the illness like for him?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14434 on: September 30, 2018, 10:43:32 PM »
Woke up at stupid o'clock for an early train to Copenhagen.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #14435 on: October 01, 2018, 04:21:05 AM »
Renster-why not encourage him  to switch to an E-cig? I did with my old man, he wasn't up for it at first, but I persuaded him, and he's  never looked back, completely quit smoking tobacco. Might not be perfect, but its a lot less unhealthy than smoking, particularly if you make your own liquids, and use only propylene glycol as the base rather than a mix with glycerine (glycerine dehydrates to form acrolein, which is aside from being a powerful lachrymatory, choking, caustic teargas agent, its also highly toxic and carcinogenic, generally unpleasant stuff, so using propylene glycol alone, it works just as well as a mix with glycerine, without the acrolein problem, which makes it absolutely revolting if it overheats and  creates the stuff, choking, teargas inhaler. Lovely. Not. Propylene glycol alone doesn't do that though.)

So it could be a good thing for your relative with COPD Ren hun, my old man has it, very mildly, but it's improved a lot since he switched from smoking to an e-cig.  A LOT cheaper too than smokes. I use one myself, and it both saves me a fuckload of money, is better health wise, and hey, plenty of flavours that taste better too, lemon and lime is one I like, or bubblegum, menthol added to either of them sometimes, there are all sorts of flavors, plenty of them quite nice.

I do still smoke tobacco, but only cigars, and only lightly. Not always daily, even. But I do find that the first dose of IM morphine of the day, I find that I really, REALLY want a cigar with it, for whatever reason,  nicotine alone doesn't fit the bill for that specific itch-scratching, I presume the traces of beta-carboline MAOIs in tobacco make all the difference, although I haven't yet gottten round to ordering myself some yage' vine (Banisteriopsis caapi, the MAOI donor part of the oral DMT  traditional brew ayahuasca) or syrian rue seed (Peganum harmala) and doing an extraction. Ideally the vine rather than syrian rue seed, because there are other alkaloids present aside from the beta-carbolines such as harmine, harmaline,and in the case of the vine, also tetrahydroharmine, among others so additional purification would be needed to exclude those as having additive effects also, my idea being to blend a custom mixture of nicotine+added MAOI such as natural tobacco would include and see if an e-cig can be made to 'hit that spot' too.

(IIRC  also, the beta-carboline MAO(a)Is present in tobacco, rather than the nicotine alone in e-liquids, has a lot to do with the reinforcing, addictive nature of tobacco. Nicotine alone, isn't, in my experience, particularly reinforcing or addictive, very different from tobacco, with its plethora of trace alkaloids, and the MAOIs present.)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #14436 on: October 01, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »

Mostly just shortness of breath, not that severe to be limiting...yet. He's also diabetic and is playing with a few demons that have almost killed him twice...so there's that.

He's on 2 different inhalers and has a nebulizer. MIL has a nebulizer, a daily med, and a rescue inhaler...but she doesn't really have many problems unless she gets sick, then it gets rough. 

Her girlfriend has been diagnosed for years and she does really well. Neighbor does okay until fall and then it sucks.

I bet every 4th or 5th person you know around here is diagnosed or lives with someone that is.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14437 on: October 01, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
There's not enough hours in my day to listen to music uninterrupted
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14438 on: October 01, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
Definitely. And HEEEEYYYYY!!!! great to see you around. I'd missed you round these parts. *squeezes*

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14439 on: October 01, 2018, 06:56:22 PM »
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14440 on: October 01, 2018, 08:57:12 PM »
Mostly just shortness of breath, not that severe to be limiting...yet. He's also diabetic and is playing with a few demons that have almost killed him twice...so there's that.

He's on 2 different inhalers and has a nebulizer. MIL has a nebulizer, a daily med, and a rescue inhaler...but she doesn't really have many problems unless she gets sick, then it gets rough. 

Her girlfriend has been diagnosed for years and she does really well. Neighbor does okay until fall and then it sucks.

I bet every 4th or 5th person you know around here is diagnosed or lives with someone that is.
My friend bought a vaping thing so I thought she was going to give up the smokes. But no. She's the first person I know with COPD apart from Graelwyn on here who said she had it. I know my friend has a nebuliser because she wrote about needing it. She continually has chest infections and sometimes pneumonia. It's quite serious and I wish she would take action to improve her health.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14441 on: October 02, 2018, 01:48:32 AM »
Some people seem determined to dig their own fucking graves :(

I think you need to strangle some sense into her, the logical, autistic way, Ren. I have confidence in you that you can do it.

And Phoenix, why of course. Charmed to have you back here. It sucks when you disappear. You are, I confess, one of my favourite members of I2:)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14442 on: October 02, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »
I am tied of people acting like they are doing me some sort of favor by paying me when I finish work on their house
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14443 on: October 02, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
I am tied of people acting like they are doing me some sort of favor by paying me when I finish work on their house
Ungrateful buggers. You're the one doing the favour.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14444 on: October 03, 2018, 12:08:38 AM »

I can take the money if it makes you uncomfortable. :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein