Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 234740 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #14400 on: September 08, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »
I have a sore throat. Ugh.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14401 on: September 10, 2018, 10:24:10 PM »
Big pimple on my chin on a day that I'm likely to be photographed.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #14402 on: September 11, 2018, 02:19:55 AM »
Lol, whilst I am NOT the type of man who will stand for cruelty towards animals,  they were not the targets of my magnifying glass as a kid.

I used to use it somewhat in the manner of a surgeon's laser scalpel, to slowly dissect teaddy-bears, slicing fingers and feet off, watching then shrivel up in a ring and slowly burning through them, rotating the bodypart until it had been sliced through as if it had been a bar of brass or steel, mounted in the chuck of the lathe and subjected to the ministrations of a tungsten carbide cutting bit's tip.

And doing things like making frankenstein teaddybears, getting things like plastic troll-dolls, slicing their heads off and mounting the heads of say, a furry monkey  on it's head, using the heat beam from the magnifying glass to carefully focus on the right parts to weld them together, and weld on little furry sliced off fingers and toes, plastic eyes on a human baby doll.

Was funny as hell, I'd go for a kind of half neanderthal grunt, half goth willy-wonka-meets-marilyn-manson look on my creations.  The odd  bit of plastic, dissolved in dichlomethane or acetone for mounting pairs of eyes, or an eye here, a pair here, a forked tail there to chemically weld the right bits on properly somehow, if the polymer the bears or troll dolls etc were made of wasn't one which would bond well with the source  bodyparts...kinda....teaddy bear graft vs host disease.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14403 on: September 15, 2018, 05:41:50 AM »
Kayleigh showed me a big bright spot on the tv screen. I asked how could that have happened and she said it's from pressure. I haven't touched the tv in weeks so I know I didn't do it. And even then I've only touched the on/off buttons on the side. I'm peeved because we can't really watch it like that so we're going to need a new tv. Neither of us has the money for one. Bummer. Will just have to give up tv watching for the time being.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14404 on: September 16, 2018, 01:38:45 AM »
^The bright spot can happen in a number of ways, the most likely being that it simply happened.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14405 on: September 16, 2018, 09:58:07 AM »
I will admit that I'm not the best homeowner.  I am the worst homeowner on the block.  Got a notice to pick up a registered letter from the post office from JP.  I assume it's from the parish telling me to mow my yard.  I can't blame whoever complained, but dang.  That was just about the dessert on my already overfull plate.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14406 on: September 16, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »
I get a guy stopping by sometimes warning me that I have plants growing too close to the STOP sign. They put the fucking sign in my garden, in MY yard and then bitch if I have healthy plants blooming near it.
BTW, it is Russian Sage I have planted there and it is a big, well established mother plant that I have taken many layerings (where you take a long branch and bury the stem to allow it to root, then cut it from the main plant and you have a new plant) from to spread around the rest of the property.
Russian Sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia - knew the genus, but had to look up the species name. The genera of plants will help you know how to grow them, so that is the part I remember, mostly) is a kind of wispy plant that you can actually see through and it never gets tall enough to obstruct view of a road sign.

:roar:

Here is a pic of one I snagged from the net. I like them!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:30:30 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14407 on: September 16, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »
I've been wanting to grow some russian sage for ages! do you think you might be able to do some cuttings, or take seed for me? I'd compensate you fairly of course. I don't like regular sage, Salvia officianalis, but I've wanted to add russian sage to my garden for ages but haven't known where to find it. And I'm nowhere near russia. Bit of  a long  walk....

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14408 on: September 16, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »
I've been wanting to grow some russian sage for ages! do you think you might be able to do some cuttings, or take seed for me? I'd compensate you fairly of course. I don't like regular sage, Salvia officianalis, but I've wanted to add russian sage to my garden for ages but haven't known where to find it. And I'm nowhere near russia. Bit of  a long  walk....

I have given five of my neighbors started plants I had layered over winter for free. Giving away nice, desirable plants works to ones favor, brightening up the block and all.
Aside from layering I have also just taken some cast off trimmings and unceremoniously stabbed the ends into moist soil in the fall and new plants sprang forth the following spring. Kind of hard to mess these up.

BUT, Perovskia has become a very common nursery plant, everywhere. You should be able to walk into any plant nursery that sells decent quality perennials and find Russian sage.
We typically get to around fifteen to twenty below zero Fahrenheit (twenty five to thirty below zero in Celsius) in winter and it has no trouble with that. I have had my main plant over twenty years. I have left it standing dormant with all of last year's growth just hanging there and my son has mowed it tight to the ground before - it just comes right back either way. Almost an idiot-proof plant and easy on the eyes as well.
You can tell I am a fan of this plant.
I do grow a number of various Salvia cultivars. All of mine are edible, if I choose. Mostly, though, they are ornamental. I keep them small and mostly use them for edging.

Oh, I forgot to mention, this cultivar is an infertile hybrid. While mostly bullet proof, there are no seeds.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:03:55 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14409 on: September 16, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »

I have given five of my neighbors started plants I had layered over winter for free. Giving away nice, desirable plants works to ones favor, brightening up the block and all.
Aside from layering I have also just taken some cast off trimmings and unceremoniously stabbed the ends into moist soil in the fall and new plants sprang forth the following spring. Kind of hard to mess these up.

BUT, Perovskia has become a very common nursery plant, everywhere. You should be able to walk into any plant nursery that sells decent quality perennials and find Russian sage.
We typically get to around fifteen to twenty below zero Fahrenheit (twenty five to thirty below zero in Celsius) in winter and it has no trouble with that. I have had my main plant over twenty years. I have left it standing dormant with all of last year's growth just hanging there all winter and my son has mowed it tight to the ground before in fall - it just comes right back either way. Almost an idiot-proof plant and easy on the eyes as well.
You can tell I am a fan of this plant.
I do grow a number of various Salvia cultivars. All of mine are edible, if I choose. Mostly, though, they are ornamental. I keep them small and mostly use them for edging. The more you cut them the harder they try to grow AND bloom. Salvia kicks ass as well.

Oh, I forgot to mention, this cultivar of Perovskia is an infertile hybrid. While mostly bullet proof and super easy to propagate, there are no seeds.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:27:55 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14410 on: September 16, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
I've not seen it locally available.

As far as infertility, you' have to clone it. Reminds me of Salvia divinorum.

Ever heard of Salvia divinorum? its a member of the sage family, obviously, grown by the mazatec people and used by curanderos, their shamanic practitioners, chewed as a quid, held between the gums and cheek, its a powerful psychedelic, very unusual too, since almost all psychedelics are amines, or at least contain a basic nitrogen atom sowhere, most are alkaloids of one form or another, and work by either agonism, full or partial, most often partial 5HT2a agonism with a relatively high intrinsic activity; such as the psychedelic phenethylamines and psychedelic amphetamines. Or else they work by antagonism of NMDA type ionotropic glutamate receptors (dissociative anaesthetics, like ketamine, PCP, methoxetamine etc.)

The other exception being GABAa agonists which target the orthosteric GABA recognition site at GABAaRs, such as muscimol from fly agaric mushrooms.

But salvinorin-A, is a really unusual, interesting example of a natural psychedelic. The plant itself is sterile, produces no seed, save in extremely rare instances, not sure if those are fertile. The plant has been valued for it's psychotropic effects  in tribal native shamanic medicine practises, the aztec used it, its depicted on carved stones of aztec origin, the mazatec and the maya also used  it. If they didn't, the species would almost certainly be extinct now, since it is sterile, the maya, mazatec, aztec and any othe south american native groups propagated it via cloning, cutting stems and planting them in the ground, for them to take root.

The diviner's sage, is an oddball though, its active constituent, salvinorin-A is devoid of nitrogen in the  highly complex structure. It's a neoclerodane diterpene, and it acts via a very novel and in nature afaik unique mode of action, being a HIGHLY potent kappa-opioid receptor agonist, its active in low digit microgram range., often dried and extracted, the extracts concentrated and redeposited on flaked Salvia divinorum leaf, to create smokeable extracts. Its weird stuff alright, warping spatial perception big time, making things appear in what ought to feel  like 3+1D space, but seems somehow manages  to cram several extra spatial and  possibly temporal dimensions.  A couple of hundred ug  of salvinorin-A, vaporized and inhaled is short acting, like DMT or its close  relatives, and one hell of a mindfucker.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14411 on: September 16, 2018, 07:23:01 PM »
Starting little sticks in wet ground or laying down a long stem, burying it and waiting or cutting little shoots as they venture tentatively stretching toward sunlight during early spring are all really low tech ways to get more of the parent plant, all exactly, EXACTLY like the parent plant with almost nothing more than daily diligence.

I would not call it cloning, but I suppose some do. I call it simple propagation, just like millions (maybe use a B) of infertile hybrids are propagated every day in the plant industry.
No need to go crazy here. I can seriously, shove some sticks in the ground in late fall and walk away and get new plants. Early spring, using tiny shoots does require some science, but not much - just the introduction of a growth hormone and some controlled climate space while the hormone encourages the infant cutting to stay alive long enough to grow a couple of roots.

As I said, not that much "science."  Providing a proper environment, sterile, high humidity, warm, etc. is the really hard part.

BTW, I have had good results with anything and everything in the mint family, such as Perovskia, Lamium and basically ALL of the culinary herbs. Just burying them and looking away, Nature makes it happen.

NO need to go all nutzo and think of cloning. Actually it IS cloning, but no reason to go nutzo. Nature does everything for you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:26:21 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14412 on: September 16, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
In the case of S.divinorum,  there are two strains in existence, and it has been that way for a long, long, long time. Since before the days of the spanish conquistadors rampaging and raping, pillaging and murdering their way through south america. The missionaries inevitably tried to stamp it out, but in evitably, thats something such conquering shits don't manage. Real bunch of bastards, like Cortez, etc.

There  might be a third strain, not sure on that one. In its native environment, that too, made it hard to extirpate, with it growing deep in the siera mazateca cloud forests.It very rarely sets seed, and when it does the seeds are usually nonviable, and  instead; Salvia divinorum propagates itself in the wild, by the mature plants bending over towards the ground, having developed rootlets, and when in contact with the ground, after they droop down, the rootlets set themselves  into the soil and  new plants grow.

Also people grow it by cloning, in a primitive sense, from these two  strains, by planting sticks of the plant stem in the ground.

I'd quite like to add S.divinorum to my gardening, make my own extract and refine the salvinorin A down to white crystalline material. And then first cleave one of it's ester linkages to form the non-psychotropic salvinorin-B. This can be used as a jumping off point, a precursor for some intriguing Salvinorin relatives. Some  of them potent kappa opioid  receptor (KOR) agonists, some more potent than salvinorin-A. And more interesting still, a compound known as Herkinorin, a modification  of the neoclerodane diterperpenoid salvinorin-B, its a Mu-opioid recepto agonist (same as  your morphine, your vicodin, your oxycodone, diamorphine, they are MOR agonists, Mu-ORs are your classic opioid receptor, the others being kappa, DOR, the delta-opioid receptor) and the nociceptin receptor, which seesms to have something to do with tolerance regualation to MOR agonists.)
hiHerkinorin is....different, to other MOR agonists (and itt is quite a potent one, by every bit of reading I've done on herkinorin.

It's  a biased agonist, selective for certain intracellular second-messenger cascades over others, in particular it doesn't induce intracellular recruitment of beta-arrestin II; which causes tolerance to opiates, in those MOR ligands which DO induce beta-arrestin 2 recruitment, OR induce receptor internalization (where receptors are dragged inside the cell, brought to the lysosome and broken down, whilst new receptors need to be biosynthesized  before tolerance etc. etc. is back to normal.)

Seems worthy of some time extracting a large amount of S.divinorum, cleaving the eser with base, it just needs the acetyl ester cleaved, and then using a system of pyridine and para-dimethylaminopyridine to effect hopefully, formation of the benzoyl ester wheere there acetyl used to  be, with high yields, if using 4-DMAP, and soaking up the HCl from the benzoyl chloride when it acylates the alcohol moiety freed up when cleaving salvinorin A, using 4-DMAP and pyridine together often allows acid halides and acid anhydrides to form the esters desired at room temperature and within minutes, as opposed to say, an acetylation with acetic anhydride and pyridine or a little triethylamine and needing several hours at 90 'C >. z

Would be most intriguing work, and its something that I could easily manage'

Quick bitch: I just spotted something I needed at a price for an amount that'd  last me fucking ages on ebay, but while I had enough money in my damn account to pay the seller, shipping etc., the stupid bastardized piece of dog shyte kept redirecting me tto something to do with my bank asking  further details for security, only, when I put my details i, the seller redirected me automatically to the shitting well bank captcha type thing, over and over and over again. I found I couldn't follow through and actually make the transaction :(

Was  for 2.5 liters of pure nitromethane :( That would  have lastesd me so damn long and let me bring forth works of psyche-driving art, so many phenethylamines I could have synthed, the exotic ones that no venor eve stocks, not that I trust online vendors of that sort of thing.

So I'm limited  to phenisopropylamine counterparts of the phenethylamiines, TMA and DOx analogues, alptha-ethylmescaline, all  sorts of the novel and the new, the oddballs in a series, or pair of offballs so comparative analyses can be performed.

Hmph. Buggritall.h

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #14413 on: September 18, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »
Truck is still down, no time, SO's Buick is now down (pissing coolant everywhere).

So... SO takes the bug this morning and the exhaust detaches in the front...had to have it towed to our go to guy for exhaust work.

Just plunk, no warning, no nothing....its shit hits the ground at the very first stop sign ...like, screw you...you're not supposed to be driving me, I remember what happened last time.

German cars are such unpredictable assholes.  :laugh:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #14414 on: September 18, 2018, 07:20:50 PM »
Starting little sticks in wet ground or laying down a long stem, burying it and waiting or cutting little shoots as they venture tentatively stretching toward sunlight during early spring are all really low tech ways to get more of the parent plant, all exactly, EXACTLY like the parent plant with almost nothing more than daily diligence.

I'll take a lower branch from an Azalea, Weigela, or a Rhododendron loosen the soil a bit and just set a heavy enough rock on it to weigh it down and walk away. Azalea, Weigela's take faster than Rhododendron.

Spirea are especially easy and will take root in water easily also almost like willow.

Willow I love, it's like rooting mint or lemon balm. Stick it in water and just look away. :laugh: 

Hydrangea, Rose of Sharon, Lilac, I just take shoots from the base, but have started some with cuttings I've found growing roadside by the ditch.

I have what I thought was an all purple Rose of Sharon I took three shoots from the base 2 years ago, they bloomed this year, 1 purple, 1 looks pink, and one is almost white. :zombiefuck: 

Forsythia are just the devil to control here. Trying not to let those breed.