Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 234838 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #14370 on: August 29, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »
My grandfather (my mom's dad) was a special case as far as grumpy old men go. He would not allow anyone to shit in his house, ever, except for maybe babies. Women could use a pot at night (rattle snakes and all), but "men" and boys could not. Men go outside to the outhouse. NO one shits in my house!

In '69 (I was fourteen) his sons (I helped, barely but learned some shit) plumbed the water from the well to the inside, so we no longer had to hand carry water bucket by bucket from the well to her kitchen -  but still not toilets!! BY GOD!! 

When he died, I was away and could not help, but the sons and my cousins finally set gran'ma up with an indoor, flushable toilet for the first time in her life (she was born in 1908 and had never had an indoor toilet). It was '72.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14371 on: August 31, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
My car is almost due for a service again. To avoid the dealership again or not....I need a safety recall for the cruise control done.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14372 on: September 05, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
It is late summer, still hot, but now it is "spider mating season." Usually not so bad, but this time of year the Orb Weavers become quite bold. These lovely ladies are basically harmless, but the can string their webs across MANY feet of open space, making evening treks a nightmare!

Can not go outside after dark without getting caught up in a huge web with a hormone enhanced hot babe of a large spider hanging out in the center.
They mostly hide during the day and you still run into their webs. You can watch them come out of hiding when you destroy what is left of last night's web. They gobble it down so quickly saving every resource!

You have to wonder what "God" was thinking with creating spiders. Hmmm, give them eight legs and ten eyes, make them poisonous. Some will have hairy bodies, but no wings (Thank you, Lord!!). Oh and Hey, let them have edible butt rope and We'll just watch what happens.
 :apondering:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:35:56 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14373 on: September 05, 2018, 10:53:13 PM »
Yuck. We have those as well (orb weaving spiders with their huge webs).

I really don't mind them too much, but walking into their webs creeps me out. My daughter is a total arachnophobe though, and we do get huntsman spiders in the house in summer regularly. Those are large, hairy and fast, but it's almost impossible to get them angry enough to bite you.

One thing I found weird in the UK was that they thought arachnophobia was silly. While in Australia we seem to go out of our way to teach kids to be scared of spiders.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14374 on: September 06, 2018, 01:11:17 AM »
Yuck. We have those as well (orb weaving spiders with their huge webs).

I really don't mind them too much, but walking into their webs creeps me out. My daughter is a total arachnophobe though, and we do get huntsman spiders in the house in summer regularly. Those are large, hairy and fast, but it's almost impossible to get them angry enough to bite you.

One thing I found weird in the UK was that they thought arachnophobia was silly. While in Australia we seem to go out of our way to teach kids to be scared of spiders.

You folk down in Australia have every reason to teach your kids to be wary of spiders.
Here in Indiana, the largest spiders are not so big and not so poisonous. Here the most deadly are generally a centimeter across, legs and all, but they hide. The Indians (Native American - my Indian "friends" warn me NOT to call them that. That is an insult to call someone a name with no meaning. They have accepted that a name for them in English is Indian) have a word for one the most dangerous spirits on land; translates roughly to "a spider that hides"

We also have black widows everywhere. I think you have a similar species.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14375 on: September 06, 2018, 02:16:31 AM »
We have the redback spider, which is basically a black widow.

The indigenous people had a name for everything that walked or crawled or flew.... but apparently they didn't have a name for the redback spider. It is thought that the redback spider may have been introduced by early white settlers. When I was a kid one of my friends used to catch one and carry it around for a while in a matchbox (which he kept in his pocket), taking it out every now and then to rile it up.

The funnel web spider is the nasty one around here. Aggressive and hard to kill. Stepping on them or trying to drown them doesn't work. I used to hook them out of our swimming pool on a regular basis when I was a teenager and they were never happy about it even after a couple of days underwater. Their fangs will go through a fingernail apparently. Not something I'd want to test though.

We've got a bunch of other spiders that will give you a nip, but it's really only the funnel webs that worry me. The funny thing about them is that they are a ground spider so they cannot climb walls or even steps.

My daughter is terrified of spiders so I have to catch the big huntsmans in a bucket and throw them outside. I'm not really a fan of them either. I had one in my car last summer. I went to look out the driver's side window when I was turning and there was a spider the size of my hand a couple of inches away from my head. I've heard that huntsman spiders are suspected of causing a number of car crash deaths that way.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #14376 on: September 06, 2018, 08:52:08 AM »
Oh fuck that. Anything with 8 legs that's bigger than .50 piece needs a flamethrower.

Plenty of wolf spiders here...they chirp like a cricket.

You have to wonder what "God" was thinking with creating spiders. Hmmm, give them eight legs and ten eyes, make them poisonous. Some will have hairy bodies, but no wings (Thank you, Lord!!). Oh and Hey, let them have edible butt rope and We'll just watch what happens.

I think God was a bit of a sadist somedays.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #14377 on: September 06, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »
What about hornets? :aff:
:dog:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #14378 on: September 06, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »

Definite assholes those things...and WTF is up with those Asian monster hornets? Those things are huge.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14379 on: September 06, 2018, 10:38:59 AM »

Definite assholes those things...and WTF is up with those Asian monster hornets? Those things are huge.

How big are they compared to European hornets?

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #14380 on: September 06, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »

How big are they compared to European hornets?

… and what is their average airspeed velocity??  :zoinks:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14381 on: September 06, 2018, 12:18:20 PM »
Lol! :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14382 on: September 06, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »
Oh fuck that. Anything with 8 legs that's bigger than .50 piece needs a flamethrower.

Plenty of wolf spiders here...they chirp like a cricket.

I think God was a bit of a sadist somedays.

I enjoy how you refer to God in the past tense. Do you know something I don't or is that just subconscious wishful thinking entering your post.

I was not trying to list every fucking horrid spider, but those squawky bastards make a sound that is unique. They do NOT sound like crickets. They hunt crickets.

Generally with mammals grass eaters eat grass and meat eaters eat grass eaters, but hard times, they eat meat eaters. With arthropods all bets are off.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14383 on: September 06, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »

Every late summer time, we have cicada killers, which maraud ruthlessly through the brush and trees looking for cicadas who are keeping out of the sun, waiting for sundown to begin their serenading.
Only the females can sting and I have heard it hurts.

We most often see the underground dwelling smallish black and white hornets around here. None of those horrid three inch long yellow and green bastards like we had in Texas.

Not sure what Asian hornets are. (EDIT: Google to the rescue) Have not seen them here.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:06:12 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14384 on: September 06, 2018, 01:30:34 PM »

Every late summer time, we have cicada killers, which maraud ruthlessly through the brush and trees looking for cicadas who are keeping out of the sun, waiting for sundown to begin their serenading.
Only the females can sting and I have heard it hurts.

We most often see the underground dwelling smallish black and white hornets around here. None of those horrid three inch long yellow and green bastards like we had in Texas.

Not sure what Asian hornets are. (EDIT: Google to the rescue) Have not seen them here.

THREE inches??  :o