Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 235527 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #14295 on: August 12, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
I've been zapped a couple of times in developing countries that don't have much in the way of safety standards. Not much fun!
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #14296 on: August 12, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »
Yeah, I'll  be fine ,the discharge wasn't that powerful, not enough to injure me, just enough to be painful. Had no choice  but to keep getting repeatedly shocked, because I had to take  down the glassware setup, and the clamps that hold them have metal nuts to tighten or loosen the hold on the glassware necks, and the entire damn thing, clamps included had become electrified. So I got zapped repeatedly. Most uncomfortable, but they have a transformer to step down the mains voltage, and at least, don't expose the equipment itself to direct mains output.

And just had an ammonia generator go berserkirgang and start throwing noxious ammonia-steaming slop up out of the setup. Going to change it so rather than dropping sodium hydroxide in solution onto ammonium  phosphate fertilizer, I'll mix the two, dry, and use the pressure equalizing addition funnel to add water, dropwise to the mixture to get a much more controllable stream of NH3. Need to neutralize some formic acid and make some ammonium formate.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14297 on: August 12, 2018, 08:29:06 PM »
And cleaning a flask, th e one that was being used as an ammonia generator, I got covered in caustic, not the first time tonight, or generally, its happened that many times that caustic soda barely bothers me. Just makes my hands really greasy and makes it difficult to hold the glass, as the strong alkali turns body fats to soap. I think I'll put gloves on for this, and likely my blast shield. Just in case.

But aside from the soapty feeling and its badly drying hands out and drying skin,  it only actually hurts, if it gets in a cut, even when hot and near  saturated.,

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14298 on: August 13, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »
Ew, yuck!, just accidentally caught a breath of bromine fumes.  A lot harsher and more vicious on the airways and lungs IMO compared to chlorine gas. I've just been harvesting the bromine from a synthesis of same using concentrated sulfuric  acid reacted with sodium bromide. Initially produces HBr and sodium sulfate, but the remaining H2SO4 is a strong enough oxidizer to oxidize hydrogen bromide to Br2.

To begin with, I was withdrawing the bromine from under a layer of bromine-saturated water (so of course this bromine will need drying before use), using a long cannula needle (different from the cannulae used for injections, setting up venous access lines in hospital and the like, these are really long, over a foot long, and used for things like pairing them up to withdraw air and/or water, using one syringe and cannula to withdraw the reagent whilst using a second glass syringe and cannula needle, both of them freshly flame-dried and repeatedly purge with inert gas before use, then one refilled with dry inert gas, so whilst one syringe draws up the reagent, the second, filled with dry inert gas, slowly depresses the plunger, introducing the inert gas into the reagent bottle so as to provide a headspace, and avoid creating a vacuum within the bottle, adding inert gas at the same rate as the reagent is withdrawn to constantly equalize the pressure, through the seal of the reagent bottle.

Only it was problematic to suck up the rather heavy, thick Br2 with the very long, thin needle, slow and requiring one to pull pretty hard on the glass syringe to draw up the bromine. And worse, with the cannula needles being so long while still being pretty thin they bend easily making it impossible to draw anything else up without taking the needle out and  un-bending it.

So I used a couple of different gauges of plastic tubing to attach a long glass pipette to a 150ml glass syringe, and started to use this to draw up the bromine in order to squirt it into a bottle for storage.

But, bromine has a fairly high vapour pressure, so it can squirt itself out of the end of the pipette easily, which would be very bad news indeed if it were to end up contacting skin, as Br2 causes severe burns near instantly
if it touches skin, although I've never been burnt by it.  With the needle it was really damn slow, but with it so being so thin too it didn't squirt if one isn't really careful. The glass pipette does, but on the other hand it won't bend and it draws up the bromine really quickly too and without having to yank and twist at the syringe  plunger.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14299 on: August 13, 2018, 11:04:37 PM »
I hate alarm clocks.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14300 on: August 14, 2018, 12:05:12 AM »
Does anyone actually still use an alarm clock?
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #14301 on: August 14, 2018, 02:29:25 AM »
I've been zapped a couple of times in developing countries that don't have much in the way of safety standards. Not much fun!

I would find you getting zapped hysterically funny.

Yes
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14302 on: August 14, 2018, 03:57:13 AM »

(1) I would find you getting zapped hysterically funny.

(2) Yes

(1) You would have something in common with my wife then.

(2) I suspect that most non-luddites have figured out by now that their smartphone has an alarm clock function, removing the necessity for a separate piece of hardware.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #14303 on: August 14, 2018, 07:14:37 AM »

(1) I would find you getting zapped hysterically funny.

(2) Yes

(1) You would have something in common with my wife then.

(2) I suspect that most non-luddites have figured out by now that their smartphone has an alarm clock function, removing the necessity for a separate piece of hardware.

Most would. I have both an alarm clock and a number of different alarms on my smartphone. I am a very heavy sleeper.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14304 on: August 14, 2018, 08:53:34 AM »
So am I; but I HATE anything intended to make an annoying noise to try and tip me out of sleep into wakefulness and/or get me out of bed. If I had an alarm clock, I'd probably end up buying a silenced pistol and some subsonic  ammunition at the same time I got the clock. Why? so the moment the clock went off I could put several rounds into the infernal thing and send it straight back to hell from whence it first was shatiwomp

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14305 on: August 14, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
I have a migraine.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14306 on: August 15, 2018, 01:44:36 AM »
I have a chesty cough.

I'm taking decongestant and lozenges and they are working intermittently.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14307 on: August 16, 2018, 02:05:10 AM »
I have a chesty cough.

I have the same but it's due to asthma.

Hope you feel better very soon. :hug:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14308 on: August 16, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
I have a chesty cough.

I drink hot (tea temperature) water.  The heat and water loosens up and thins out the phlegm without adding a stimulant.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #14309 on: August 16, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »
I have a chesty cough.

I drink hot (tea temperature) water.  The heat and water loosens up and thins out the phlegm without adding a stimulant.

Do you not want a lemon infusion then?