Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 231653 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #13560 on: October 01, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »
Bought  'white' aluminum trim nails that looked more really light gray to me
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13561 on: October 01, 2017, 07:32:45 PM »
Bought  'white' aluminum trim nails that looked more really light gray to me
All depends on what light you view them under too.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #13562 on: October 02, 2017, 12:13:26 AM »
Al can be given a number of finishes, be anodized etc, got to say my favourite look is the kind of thing that (sadly the foundry is gone now) you'd get from immersing the big slugs that a local metal foundry threw out in their trash in a caustic bath. Used that plenty as a cheap hydrogen gas source-the solution, if conc. starts to get really hot, and fizzes off H2 like crazy (any small narrow vessel in which a small quantity of gas can be trapped can be used to demonstrate H2 presence, it won't re-ignite a wooden splint lit and put out with only an ember left, as oxygen does, but in the presence of a flame, the H2 captured in an upended testtube etc explodes with a distinctive high-pitched shriek, whereas most common fuel gases on such a scale give more of  whump' noise, Hydrogen gives a distinctive rapid squeaky pop of a far higher pitch than fr.ex a test tube containing butane, acetylene or the like. any aluminium will do, but foil ought to be only used in microscale and tightly wadded to prevent it going too fast to safely capture, and fine Al dust results in a volcano of frothing, boiling caustic blasting its way up and out of where its put, Due to the very large surface area.

After use as a hydrogen source, there'd be a pitted kind of look to the Al slugs I used to be able to find freely, and they'd get a lovely texture to them, 'aged' in moments by the corrosive action of caustic alkali hydroxides on Al.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13563 on: October 02, 2017, 01:12:28 AM »
Al can be given a number of finishes, be anodized etc, got to say my favourite look is the kind of thing that (sadly the foundry is gone now) you'd get from immersing ..... caustic bath. ........and they'd get a lovely texture to them, 'aged' in moments by the corrosive action of caustic alkali hydroxides on Al.
Reading a post of you while the brain is still sleeping is weird.
The things you do to Al that I never dreamed of.  :lol1:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:13:59 AM by 'andersom' »
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13564 on: October 02, 2017, 02:16:49 AM »
Well it was more of a side effect. Typical H2 generation method on a benchtop scale is a reasonably reactive metal and an acid, diluted to suit the speed of gas evolution required, but I find Al/caustic to be far cheaper. It just so happened that the aluminium was being thrown out by this foundry in billets, and I was free to grab as many as wanted, chip chunks of aluminium from crucibles, loads of casting sand that could be cut to shape for things like thermite casting. Went back there recently, in need of some casting sand for a mold and the place has gone out of business :(

Lol, the back alley behind that place, as a kid, was one place I could often be found if somebody were to look.  A raw materials goldmine and what I didn't need I could always sell on for scrap, for a source of income to fund the lab (yup, always been that way inclined. I put it down to an 'autie thing' if you get what I mean. Taught myself to read with a mycology textbook, I'm told about age 4. So definitely not 'normal' :P)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13565 on: October 02, 2017, 03:49:17 AM »
Al can be given a number of finishes, be anodized etc, got to say my favourite look is the kind of thing that (sadly the foundry is gone now) you'd get from immersing ..... caustic bath. ........and they'd get a lovely texture to them, 'aged' in moments by the corrosive action of caustic alkali hydroxides on Al.

Yep . My mind some some serious boggling there, too
Lestat, you daft  'ap'orth , we thought you were speaking of anodising Al Swearengen, didn't we :LMAO:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13566 on: October 02, 2017, 03:55:53 AM »
Yes, no need to add a lovely texture to them, 'aged' in moments by the corrosive action of caustic alkali hydroxides on Al.

Think his texture ages just fine without the caustic soda.

Edit for layout reasons.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:02:20 AM by 'andersom' »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #13567 on: October 02, 2017, 04:03:08 AM »

It confused me too.  :lol1:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13568 on: October 02, 2017, 04:04:47 AM »
 :indeed: HYke, however, I think Lestat might be onto something here:

fine Al dust results in a volcano of frothing, boiling caustic blasting its way up and out of where its put

but again, no need to grind him into dust  :LOL:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13569 on: October 02, 2017, 04:07:44 AM »

fine Al dust results in a volcano of frothing, boiling caustic blasting its way up and out of where its put

Should we encourage Lestat to start a beauty parlour for men, or make him the resident torture expert? (Could be the same thing, of course)

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13570 on: October 02, 2017, 04:11:37 AM »

Should we encou
rage Lestat to start a beauty parlour for men, or make him the resident torture expert? (Could be the same thing, of course)
The latter i think, The beuty parlour thing made me think of Sweeney Todd  :LOL:

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13571 on: October 02, 2017, 04:17:37 AM »
Damn stuff gets in your teeth and gets very uncomfortable.
:lol1:

It's where the gnashing of teeth is.
My brain is still waking up. I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out why the karma stats would get in your teeth  :LOL:
Hyke's "gnashing" comment seemed to make some sense though!   :LOL:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:20:00 AM by Walkie »

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13572 on: October 02, 2017, 04:21:51 AM »

Should we encourage Lestat to start a beauty parlour for men, or make him the resident torture expert? (Could be the same thing, of course)
The latter i think, The beuty parlour thing made me think of Sweeney Todd  :LOL:
Mince pies with caustic soda flavour would not sell that we'll, I fear.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:23:23 AM by 'andersom' »

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #13573 on: October 02, 2017, 04:26:27 AM »
Damn stuff gets in your teeth and gets very uncomfortable.
:lol1:

It's where the gnashing of teeth is.
My brain is still waking up. I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out why the karma stats would get in your teeth  :LOL:
Hyke's "gnashing" comment seemed to make some sense though!   :LOL:

I'll kick myself in the posterior now. Might get that head out of the sand and breaking over paperwork.
Either way, my head is screwed. But the paperwork will be away for a while if I give it a go.
  :GA: :GA:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13574 on: October 02, 2017, 04:34:33 AM »
Methinks some errors in translation took place for a few people there. I was of course, not suggesting dipping grumpy in a bath of lye. Doubt he'd be too pleased with me somehow. And getting that stuff in your eyes; jesus it hurts, absolute fucking murder. Even with stingy doctors in that area I ended up getting a pain med script doubled, for a strong opiate (oxycodone) after that happened to me (albeit with other things in the gout of boiling hot corrosive gritty salts-saturated slop that I got belted in the eye with a while back, thanks to fucking pig cunts tampering with things.)

I was referring to the symbol for aluminium. Pretty sure you can't anodize a human, the process inherently relies on the formation of super-thin surface layers of oxides etc. on metallic surfaces via electrolytic processes and that couldn't be done to flesh.

For examples, look for images of anodized titanium online, or particularly, niobium, niobium anodizes particularly well, and shows a broad coloration range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobium#Numismatics Used for coinage, part niobium, part Ag, and part of it anodized so that each coin is unique in its coloration pattern. Kinda neat IMO.

NaOH mince pies? who the fuck would want mince pies that taste like burning, corrosive soap? (it has a somewhat soapy taste, a kind of dull-matte colored, dirty off-grey colored taste to me, not that my synaesthetic tendencies towards lab bits and pieces is likely to translate well)
But think of what an old rag would look like, cut from a dirty towel, used for cleaning repeatedly and then given a half arsed washing in used bath water. Thats what its taste is colored akin to, and 'flavour' wise, if such can be used to describe it, biting in sufficient concentrations, but it does have a distinct taste, greasy, saponaceous (the alkaline action lyses body fats and saponifies them, this is why the stuff makes fingers feel soapy after handling caustic alkalis, because they ARE, the soap being formed from body fat exposed to the caustic.