Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 231712 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #12825 on: April 11, 2017, 05:32:10 AM »
  It's trash day, and I have to take the trash outside, and I don't want to.  :P
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #12826 on: April 11, 2017, 07:36:15 AM »
I'm in a lazy mood myself. I really CBF getting round to doing things.

And I am wondering where in the flaming hell some expected mail is and what day I'm actually finally going to get it. I'm still waiting for a batch of graphite electrodes, and a solid nickel crucible (which I might add, was horrendously expensive. I ordered a new set of various crucibles in various different materials, a big graphite one about 8-9 inches tall by 4.5-5 inch wide and with walls a centimeter or so thick has arrived, as have two iron crucibles with close-fitting lids. But I'm still awaiting my nickel one. The price difference is insane, about $3 and a few fractions of a dollar for the pair of them, the nickel crucible on the other hand cost me about £30-something, closer to £40 IIRC.

Not cheap. Ordered quite a few other carbon crucibles, and might have ordered some nickel plated ones, but can't remember if I went through with that or if I decided to just buy those cheap iron ones and nickel plate them myself, since I have some nickel acetate, a  big tub of it, 500g or 1kg, can't remember which, that I bought mainly for plating other metal objects, making nickel-based catalysts, like Raney and Urushibara nickel for hydrogenations (both quite similar, and the basic premise is to make an alloy of nickel and aluminium, then dissolve the aluminium in caustic soda solution leaving behind the nickel, unattacked by the caustic, which is, due to the way its precipitated from the solid alloy by melting out the aluminium part, is extremely finely divided, so much so that in the case of Raney nickel, its so fine that it is pyrophoric and has to be handled in an inert atmosphere until hydrogen is introduced to replace the inert, and at all times, kept wet. Although IIRC there are grades of Raney nickel and Raney cobalt that are not pyrophoric (catching fire on exposure to air and/or water. Just air/oxygen in the case of Raney metals) whilst Urushibara catalysts aren't pyrophoric, and also for making nickel-copper couple reducing agent if I want to try making it with finer, precipitated nickel, compared to the very fine nickel dust that I have on the lab shelves along with my other metal powders (currently zinc, copper, magnesium and nickel dust, as well as micronized, ultra-fine aluminium, all bagged up in big ziplock containers with as much air as possible squeezed out of them before rolling the packages up to squeeze out further air. Have to be quite careful, especially with the aluminium, magnesium and nickel, the first two because they are highly flammable, enough so that if one were to load a drinking straw with a few pinches of metal dust and then blow it through a flame, the result is quite spectacular-a big long gout of intense white sparking fire accompanied by a 'whoompmh!' sort of noise and lots of crackling. A dragons breath kind of effect, the other metals will do the same, well, I'm not sure about the copper, its less reactive than the other metals, although extremely fine. I haven't actually tried to do that although it wouldn't surprise me at all if it did cause a big long expanding jet of crackling fireball. And the nickel is certainly flammable as well, only, nickel is probably more hazardous from a toxicity point of view, its one of the more toxic transition metals generally speaking and some people are allergic to it, usually developing a focal dermatitis from nickel alloy parts of clothing (although I myself am fine with it, in the sense of I'm not allergic. Still, it isn't something one wants to ingest, especially in soluble, and thus absorbable form)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12827 on: April 11, 2017, 11:12:06 AM »
Smashed my middle finger nail when two vises I was moving banged together  :o  I have a nice half circle of purple at the base don't think I'll lose it though :-\
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12828 on: April 11, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
Pretty sure I won't EVER get those WP marks off the kitchen cupboards. Was all I could do to scrape the luminous green glowing bits of the ashes out of the wood, vent the huge plume of smoke out of the windows and extractor fan and find something long and poke-ey to reset the fire alarm. Think the old man might have woken up at the noise of that ampoule breaking and splattering  its contents:P

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12829 on: April 12, 2017, 06:10:20 AM »
Smashed my middle finger nail when two vises I was moving banged together  :o  I have a nice half circle of purple at the base don't think I'll lose it though :-\

At least it didn't rupture through your cuticle like my left pinky nail did in 2010.  :zombiefuck:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12830 on: April 12, 2017, 08:07:59 AM »
  Customer service people with accents that make their words unintelligible to me.  Not being racist.
  If I were working overseas and speaking a second language with a thick American accent, I'd be just as
  annoyed with myself.  It's very stressing to have to ask someone to repeat something 5 or 6 times just to
  understand 2/3 of what's being said.  I get very pissy on the phone when I have to deal with this.  :grrr:

People forget.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12831 on: April 12, 2017, 09:21:13 AM »
those are people with low level jobs - which they get because they can't speak english well. my students tell me that some call centers pay less than minimum wage and the rest in i guess something like a commission. i can't even imagine what those guys are getting.

having to leave my house for the third day in a row because of the landlord. found more evidence of things moved. but today we will catch them if they do it, or deter them so that they can have back some of the anxiety they are trying to cause us. maybe i should get a call center job for some extra income and a place to go during the day. my french is just that bad.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12832 on: April 12, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
those are people with low level jobs - which they get because they can't speak english well. my students tell me that some call centers pay less than minimum wage and the rest in i guess something like a commission. i can't even imagine what those guys are getting.

having to leave my house for the third day in a row because of the landlord. found more evidence of things moved. but today we will catch them if they do it, or deter them so that they can have back some of the anxiety they are trying to cause us. maybe i should get a call center job for some extra income and a place to go during the day. my french is just that bad.

If you were lucky, your landlord would call and you could fuck up his life.  >:D

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12833 on: April 12, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
Why not leave a webcam going or something, recording? (or a balaclava each and a couple of baseball bats. Make it appear to be a robbery in progress just interrupted and beat the fucking crap out of the guy :P)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12834 on: April 12, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »
Why not leave a webcam going or something, recording? (or a balaclava each and a couple of baseball bats. Make it appear to be a robbery in progress just interrupted and beat the fucking crap out of the guy :P)
can't get the security cam to record so will have to try the webcam. downloaded the manual for the security cam but didn't have time to read it. going to take a nap tonight so maybe not so tired tomorrow.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12835 on: April 12, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »
Not much sleep last night. Puppy seems to have eaten something she doesn't agree with.
Does she eat shoes or anything else like that that she shouldn't?

All of it. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12836 on: April 12, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
Too bad other people might try knocking on the door, or you could just wire the doorknob to the mains electric supply, have a layer of insulator taped to it and then a second wire to ground running over the other side, just waiting for him to grab hold of it, with something like a very thin few strands of copper wire for the connector, so that it acts as an exploding bridgewire when his hand completes the circuit, and he'd get a brutal shock but the wires would immediately end up as plasma, both wiping out the evidence of a pair of trailing wires. Something like a layer of water-glass painted over the inner side of the doorhandle, then the wire to ground secured with a little more water-glass before turning on the juice so it wouldn't be obvious. , and stopping it progressing from a harsh arse kicking to actual murder or attempted murder. Just enough for it to really hurt (a brief mains shock is not hugely likely to kill somebody, but it will throw somebody across the room well enough, at least with UK voltage..lol I remember one time in my last spesh school some dumb kid spat on a lightbulb, and due to thermal shock it shattered. The moron in question then tried to remove the bulb remains from the desk lamp without turning off the power or isolating the lamp. There was a resounding CRACK! noise and the guy went flying like somebody had hit him in the face with a gigantic spade and ended up flat on his back. Very entertaining. At least it was for everybody else there to see it happen. Probably not quite so hilarious for him:P

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12837 on: April 12, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
not sure i want to do that; with my luck i'd shock myself. have done it before and actually wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. feels awful and then hurts after as well.
i'd rather see random acts of karma like that his building gets subjected to what he's doing to us. dunno what that would look like.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12838 on: April 13, 2017, 04:46:24 AM »
  Too many things to do today.  Dental cleaning later this morning.  :hide:

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12839 on: April 13, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »
Monster headache.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein