Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 234090 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #12810 on: April 07, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
Telemarketers have become unbearable 6-8 calls day with about half  of the calls coming from fake local numbers showing up on the  caller ID
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #12811 on: April 07, 2017, 03:08:16 PM »
Itchy eyes.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12812 on: April 07, 2017, 11:00:05 PM »
Still can't take photos of my tattoos as they haven't healed. They are both all black and my friend said the tattooist has overdone it. The same happened to her as we were both tattooed on the same day by the same person. Her tattoo had colour in it though and it actually scabbed over. Mine are just really dry despite moisturiser.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12813 on: April 09, 2017, 09:03:20 AM »
caffeine withdrawal
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #12814 on: April 09, 2017, 09:06:31 AM »
caffeine withdrawal

I had to point out to someone the other day about the amount of caffeine in chocolate. I feel for you, not having coffee.
:dog:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12815 on: April 09, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
caffeine withdrawal

I had to point out to someone the other day about the amount of caffeine in chocolate. I feel for you, not having coffee.
Why the username change?

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12816 on: April 09, 2017, 09:12:21 AM »
caffeine withdrawal

Why the username change?

It's a star that got kicked out of a binary star system. I suppose I related to the kicking out. Plus I like astronomy.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12817 on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
caffeine withdrawal

Why the username change?

It's a star that got kicked out of a binary star system. I suppose I related to the kicking out. Plus I like astronomy.
That's an interesting answer, though kicked out? Look on the bright side, runaway star.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:33:32 AM by Jack »

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12818 on: April 09, 2017, 09:47:23 AM »
Why the username change?

That's an interesting answer, though kicked out? Look on the bright side, runaway star.

:laugh: I like your answer too. I'm impressed that you know what they call it!

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12819 on: April 09, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
Why the username change?

:laugh: I like your answer too. I'm impressed that you know what they call it!
Looked it up, so not so impressive. Be impressed that I likely wont forget it. :M

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12820 on: April 09, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
The neighbors are having some sort of party cant hear it in the house but out in my shed workshop the voices are overwhelming
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12821 on: April 09, 2017, 11:41:22 PM »
Not much sleep last night. Puppy seems to have eaten something she doesn't agree with.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12822 on: April 10, 2017, 04:38:27 AM »
Not much sleep last night. Puppy seems to have eaten something she doesn't agree with.
Does she eat shoes or anything else like that that she shouldn't?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12823 on: April 10, 2017, 04:44:31 AM »
caffeine withdrawal

Oy, that's a bitch.  I hate the headache that comes with it.  :zombiefuck:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #12824 on: April 10, 2017, 07:30:35 AM »
The power supply I usually use is out of action :(

I REALLY hope all thats wrong is a blown fuse, since that I can fix no problem, if its not, then its more than I can manage, although since its actually my old man's power supply, that he has effectively loaned it to me for as long as I want to use it, whenever I want it he'd have a crack at fixing it. I just hope none of the circuitry is damaged.

Its a real kick in the balls, since I've been using it a LOT recently, any time I can't sleep andplenty otimes I'll get up and go fiddle around with electrolytic cell configurations and other electrolytic procedures. At the moment I'm trying to isolate manganese metal starting from batteries, (its present as a mixture of MnO2 and a lot of carbon black), by gutting the batteries, removing the black portion(s) and digesting them in 98% sulfuric acid to give manganese (II) sulfate, which is water soluble whilst the carbon black isn't affected by such treatment, then allowing the acidic manganese salt solution to settle, almost all the carbon black falls to the bottom of the beaker, allowing the manganese solution to be decanted off (filter paper would be a bad idea since carbon vlank is a nightmare to filter properly, and filter papers REALLY are incompatible with sulfuric acid of that strength, it just liquefies them at first contact then chars them to little more than ashes because its such a powerful dehydrating agent. Neutralizing the acid using sodium hydroxide re-precipitates the manganese, changing it from the sulfate salt to the insoluble manganese (II) hydroxide( Mn(OH)2

Still trying to get the metal itself from its compounds. I may, if all else fails, resort to one of those brute force reactions that involve using using a more reactive metal, plus a less reactive metal oxide, same principle as the thermite reaction, a redox rxn between aluminium dust and iron oxide, the Al rips the oxygen from the iron oxide becoming Al2O3 in the process and leaving behind the aforementioned aluminium oxide as a slag, and molten iron, accompanied by a shower of sparks and extremely intense heat, in the case of the classic iron oxide-aluminium based thermite, whilst difficult to ignire (the common way is to use a strip of magnesium ribbon as a fuse, light the end with a blowtorch and then stand back and wait for the Mg ribbon to burn down until it contacts the area of the thermite its dipped into and sets it alight. Once lit, it isn't something you can put out, and it generates enough heat that it will (and is used for) burn through through and weld train tracks.

Effectively, since it requires no external oxygen and generates such an intense heat you can't put them out once started. So one best make sure they are where you want one first, because fire extinguishers, most of them  would either act as fuel (such as CO2 being split apart into C and O2, further burning. All you can do, unless its a very very small charge that can be dispersed physically over a wide area and as such burn out near instantly, is stand back and wait for it to burn itself out.

I've got plenty of both fine magnesium and a good deal of ultrafine micronized aluminium (max. particle size 30 microns) that are ideal for metallothermic reductions of oxides to the corresponding metals. I've never actually seen manganese in the elemental state before, I've only ever seen pictures. I'll have to check reduction potentials and the reactivity series for Mn and carbon too, just in case its possible to perform a carbothermic reduction (essentially carbon thermite, using elemental carbon in fine powder form to reduce metal oxides, forms a lot less slag than metallothermic reductions given the oxides of carbon, at least common ones, carbon monoxide and dioxide are both gaseous)

That would be kind of neat, if I could simply wash away impurities using concentrated sulfuric acid,, quench the acid with NaOH or KOH and theredoing obtain Mn(OH)2 as insoluble fraction and wash away residual acid after decanting most of the remainder, the potassium sulfate or sodium sulfate for use as nutrient component of any bio work involving needing.culturing for potasssium suplementation as well as sulfur, or after conversion to KCl, using it for certain organisms I have an interest that need an insane amount of osmotic pressure in the production stage type growth media (Claviceps purpurea, rye ergot. It likes a truly nutty amount of osmotic pressure in the medium grown in, to the extent that somebody once thought, a uni worker ressearching it, that
'30g sucrose/1l' would be the correct quantity and thought to correct what she thought a spelling error. Because what was actually called for was three hundred grams of sugars per liter! many microorganisms wouldn't survive that let alone actually thrive best in such a huge concentration of sugars and salts.     

I want my three-channel power supply back working and I want is yesterday :-[

I did have another supply but it was just a measly 12v 5 amp supply and it had a short auto-cutout rather than overload protection, and it just kept cutting out when beungused for molten salt electrolysis, and in any case, it died shrieking after having the sorts of loads put on it that I did more or less every time I used it. Whilst this one thats down atm can deliver a fairly reasonable if a bit modest 35 amps.

I think I will invest in an arc-welding MIG/TIG setup actually and install some additional current/voltage regulatory circuitry for things like constant current output. Plus additional transformers for when I wish to vary the voltage, heat things via induction etc.

The ability to do proper welding of materials such as steel and titanium (the latter needing an inert gas however because titanium is actually fairly reactive and can catch fire and burn with an intense heat. Metal fires suck balls too, and need specialized fire extinguishers to put them out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.