Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 231697 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #12660 on: March 13, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
Nobody mentions the BSOD anymore. I haven't heard it for years. I almost miss it. (emo)

I miss the old Windows 95 and 98 menus, even. I guess being a kid made things look magical. Now I'm like, "Technology. I HATE IT".

My work laptop had a BSOD just last week. The less than desirable result of too many heavy processes and not enough memory for them.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12661 on: March 13, 2017, 04:28:43 PM »
I thought the BSOD was last in Windows XP or something. ???

Nope, it's in Win7, too.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12662 on: March 14, 2017, 04:38:03 AM »
Big snow storm supposedly coming in the early am tomorrow :zombiefuck:

It has already begun.   :bat:   Stay off the roads, thou fools!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12663 on: March 14, 2017, 04:44:11 AM »
I thought the BSOD was last in Windows XP or something. ???
Nope, it's in Win7, too.
And Vista. That is how my first ever computer died.

For Windows 10 it's a different kind of blue screen. It doesn't say anything about what the issue is, instead (I think) "Sorry, your computer has run into a problem and needs to restart."

Quick bitch - Took the bins out through the gate and came back to find the gate had swung the wrong way and come off its top hinges. Kayleigh managed to kind of fix it but it still needs to be fixed properly. It will require a trip to Bunnings (hardware shop).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:54:05 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #12664 on: March 14, 2017, 05:59:37 AM »
Windows seems to just have gotten shittier and shittier and shittier with each new version. And more memory and CPU cycle-hungry in order to run all the crapware, bloatware, user-spying and most probably govt spyware, they developed some of the code for 10 with the NSA IIRC. Which doesn't bode well for privacy.

Just go online and do a search (I'd use duckduckgo to search, to avoid google and also MS search engines, definitely avoid those) for the kind of stuff people who really know what they are doing have yanked kicking and screaming out of the closet during code digs and registry searches. Soon as I can I'll be using linux and only using windows for gaming, for which it is, admittedly ideal. But gaming is all its good for.

Windows 10 degenerated into an incoherent heap of unusable garbage within a week or two that didn't even know how to display a mouse cursor from a laptop hardwired trackpad mouse (or a peripheral one for that matter)

Couldn't even logon. Useless, slow and bloated to bursting with garbage and scumware. XP was the last really usable one. And I take great umbrage at being told that I 'require permission from' some bit of the system in order to disable something. Sorry but I own the fucking computer. I'll do what I bloody well like with it.

Bitch-bloody bank is useless, trying to charge me over £60 plus another fiver a day for going overdrawn by a piss in the ocean of an amount. When they OWE me a significant amount, and I'd not have gone overdrawn had that amount been paid to me.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #12665 on: March 14, 2017, 08:22:44 AM »
Since people seem unable to do it on their own, I think everybody should be introduced to a user friendly version of Linux, and bigger software companies should start accommodating that Linux system. Technology today is a heap of crap and should be scrapped. I mean it. It's totally unacceptable.
:dog:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12666 on: March 14, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
Internet and cable some what intermittent today due to the storm
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12667 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »
A lot of it is.

One thing I really have beef with is products made out of 100% die-cast chinesium. Got to get some more lab clamps for instance because of that. And nobody would want to recycle chinesium. The only nonradioactive element to have a half life. And also the only element to have a half life that varies for the one and only natural isotope. Variable decay between about five minutes and a few weeks :P

Elemental symbol, I'd assign it Sy (for Shyte)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12668 on: March 14, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
A lot of it is.

One thing I really have beef with is products made out of 100% die-cast chinesium. Got to get some more lab clamps for instance because of that. And nobody would want to recycle chinesium. The only nonradioactive element to have a half life. And also the only element to have a half life that varies for the one and only natural isotope. Variable decay between about five minutes and a few weeks :P

It's not just the chinesium their casting techniques suck.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12669 on: March 14, 2017, 10:06:33 AM »
A lot of it is.

It would be in Latin, wouldn't it? :)

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12670 on: March 14, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
According to my last ex: all cat lovers are geeks, dog lovers are mundane plebs.

God, that was so deep. I think he should have studied for psychology, he has a real talent there.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12671 on: March 14, 2017, 01:20:28 PM »
Well the latin for faeces/shit is 'stercus' which would have to be Sc (taken by scandium) Sr (taken by strontium) Sm is taken by samarium...

In my tag line, thats where it comes from, stercore being a derivative descriptive form of 'stercus'. In its entirety, it means 'same old shit, different day', in latin.

The greek is also used in naming chemical elements. Bromine for example, symbol Br comes from the word 'bromos' meaning 'stench' Which is fairly appropriate for any of the halogens (although I've never of course smelled astatine, and would not be hear to tell you about it if I had, given its intense radioactivity (its longest lived isotope has a half life of just over 8 hours)

Nor have I fluorine, its insanely reactive, highly toxic, much much more so than the other halogens, excluding astatine which for most purposes isn't even taken into account when the halogens are discussed since its only ever available in perhaps milligram quantities, or less, and at any one time, as a decay product there is less  than a teaspoon probably, somewhat around 1 ounce, or a little less, distributed throughout the entire earths crust, continually decaying and being replaced as the daughter product of other radioactive elements including At in the decay chain.

I suppose 'Ko' from the greek 'kopros' could be used.

And I've always figured much the same about dogs and cats. Dogs are dumb, slobber all over themselves and are obsessed with the pack. Wonder what demographic THAT reminds you of....

Cats on the other hand are clean, very intelligent, loners, precise in their actions and prone to weird traits that only they understand. I'm sure they'd line up their toys repeatedly until they got it just right had they opposable thumbs. and grading their catnip according to nepetalactone concentration and bioactivity. If a large cat was born with an opposable thumb, we'd be under it. Or at least NTs would.

Dogs are ideal NT pets, whilst cats are far better autist companions IMO, I've always thought that.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:25:02 PM by Lestat »

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12672 on: March 14, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »
And agreed, parts. Doesn't even have to be of chink origin to be rubbish. My old man used the phrase 'die-cast shite' recently after a clamp broke. Need some new clamps now, will buy spares after I find out how much money is going to be left after I next spend any.

Given their use, I cannot AFFORD for them to fail. Do I want to be doused in fuming sulfuric/nitric/hydrochloric/hydrobromic/hydriodic/perchloric/phosphoric/acetic, formic acid? no. I don't. And I CERTAINLY wouldn't even work with HF without special clamps resistant to it as well as teflon-ware. I imagine monel-alloy clamps would be expensive. And HF is just..well..nasty shit. One of those chemicals that makes me nervous just thinking about using it. Its up there with dimethyl sulfate, some of the middling-nastier mercury compounds, arsine, cyanide gas, phosphine and hydrogen selenide.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:38:36 PM by Lestat »

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12673 on: March 14, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »
 :-\ I love dogs, and some of them are intelligent. They communicate way better than cats too, and make a big fuss out of you. Then again, I don't identify with most autistics' need for so much space, only when I'm stressed.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12674 on: March 14, 2017, 04:18:11 PM »
:-\ I love dogs, and some of them are intelligent. They communicate way better than cats too, and make a big fuss out of you. Then again, I don't identify with most autistics' need for so much space, only when I'm stressed.

Actually I have had many dogs. While they often do the stupidest things, like when one puppy I was trying to "house train"  to shit and piss outside, figured that the short answer was to just eat his shit and it was gone.
Problem was he often through up his shit after eating it to destroy the evidence.

Yes, dogs CAN be kind of stupid in behavior, but I have never met one after owning hundreds (I am old and used to have a property that allowed me to keep a dozen dogs in an area where one of them was killed by marauding packs of feral dogs an coyotes every week or so, rough place) I can tell you that every dog I have ever seen was pack oriented and territorial, took care of lesser pack members, made a point of keeping its grounds safe for all the pack.

I have seen them sacrifice themselves to help and protect the pack males and females alike. I know that, as intelligent as they may be, they are not sentient but if sacrificing oneself to the benefit of others does not represent some degree of intelligence, then maybe we can not agree, here.
You sound to me like someone who has only lived with a few house kept dogs. I have lived with many and I have only seen one or two who were not about as smart as the others. Identifying with a dog, personally, will help to allow you to understand the intelligence of dogs.

Cats? I have not owned hundreds like all the dogs, but I have owned dozens and many who lived in peace with the packs of dogs I used to keep. Many were not so social and succumbed to the dogs after ripping them to sheds around the face and neck (cats know what to do, but a couple of hundred pound dogs can beat up a twenty pound cat - one on one, often the cat wins and gets away to fight another day - two or three against one, sorry kitty. As I said, rough place).

The last two cats we have had the privilege of living with, one was my wife's cat, plain and simple, he had little to do with me unless it was food time or she was gone and he wanted to nuzzle or get close - he would "use"  me for his human time when absolutely necessary.

The cat we now house has always been "my cat."  I allowed her to choose me out of a litter of eight common grey tabby house cats, rescued and cared for by a good Samaritan who found an abandoned litter once construction started near where he lived.
I am talking about finding her as a barely (a bit too young actually) milk weened infant. She chose ME!   And yet now after nine years, after her making the decision that I was "TeH GuY" when she was a tiny infantile kitten, she still claims me as the  "meaning of life"  to her.  She mainly identifies with me and me alone and becomes quite jealous if I do much with our dog.

Ever seen a doggie come running to the door to greet its "master?"  My cat does that with me every time I return home, even if I have only been gone for a few minutes. I have kept a lot of cats, but this is one that I adopted at the earliest age ever for me.
To see her reach such a mature age (cats age about the same as dogs = first year, maturity or about fourteen years compared to human lives then seven for every one year of ours thereafter. So at her age, she is about my age now, in her sixties, cat years) and still keep her promise to be mine and only mine. That feels really good and quite amazing!

This part I do not understand:
  Then again, I don't identify with most autistics' need for so much space, only when I'm stressed.

Can you help to understand what this means. I ALWAYS want to keep space around me. When stressed, I do not want any contact at all, except for my sweet wife or one of my very intelligent animals.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.