Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 232193 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #11130 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »
  My phone charger doesn't work as reliably anymore.  I have to fiddle with the phone and the charger cord
   to get the damn thing to turn on.  I need to go to Best Buy for a new one and I don't waaaaaaaanna.  :tard:

If it's just the cord I have found them at the dollar stores for the standard ones without the plug part.

Cool!  Unfortunately I'm not sure it's just the cord.  It could be the plug.  :tard:

I have had the jack on the phone go bad also which really sucks

I'm guessing the only remedy for that is a new phone?  :-\
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11131 on: April 12, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »
  My phone charger doesn't work as reliably anymore.  I have to fiddle with the phone and the charger cord
   to get the damn thing to turn on.  I need to go to Best Buy for a new one and I don't waaaaaaaanna.  :tard:

If it's just the cord I have found them at the dollar stores for the standard ones without the plug part.

Cool!  Unfortunately I'm not sure it's just the cord.  It could be the plug.  :tard:

I have had the jack on the phone go bad also which really sucks

I'm guessing the only remedy for that is a new phone?  :-\

Pretty much,  I was using tape to hold the cord at just the right angle to make contact for a couple months before I gave up and got a new one
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11132 on: April 12, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »

Try a new cord for a dollar. If it works, it is a break in the old cord. If it doesn't work, it might be the plug, or it could still be the cord.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11133 on: April 12, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »

Try a new cord for a dollar. If it works, it is a break in the old cord. If it doesn't work, it might be the plug, or it could still be the cord.

Most of the cords now end in a USB so you could plug it in to your computer to see if its the plug part

George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #11134 on: April 12, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
  I will try the experiements suggested and figure this out!  It damn well better not be the jack!  :GA:

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11135 on: April 13, 2016, 04:28:30 AM »
  I will try the experiements suggested and figure this out!  It damn well better not be the jack!  :GA:
For newer phones getting the jack fixed is not that expensive. For older types of Samsung phones it can be more expensive than getting a new phone

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #11136 on: April 13, 2016, 05:39:15 AM »
For newer phones getting the jack fixed is not that expensive. For older types of Samsung phones it can be more expensive than getting a new phone

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3.  That's probably considered a dinosaur, right?  :autism:

People forget.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11137 on: April 13, 2016, 06:06:55 AM »

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3.  That's probably considered a dinosaur, right?  :autism:

The last Samsung the boy had was flaky. If he discharged it to the point of it being completely dead, the only way we could get it to charge was through the USB port on the computer it would only finally start to charge after about 10 min of sitting there. Once it got a 1/4 of the way there you could plug it in the wall to finish charging.

Once completely dead it would just remain dead if you plugged it into the wall...it would not start to charge even if you left it plugged in overnight. 

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11138 on: April 13, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »

The last Samsung the boy had was flaky. If he discharged it to the point of it being completely dead, the only way we could get it to charge was through the USB port on the computer it would only finally start to charge after about 10 min of sitting there. Once it got a 1/4 of the way there you could plug it in the wall to finish charging.

Once completely dead it would just remain dead if you plugged it into the wall...it would not start to charge even if you left it plugged in overnight.
I have the same phone as CBC and a battery optimizer app that took the phone from running out of charge in a day to lasting two or three days. Of course, like most Aspers, I don't use the phone for calls, just texts to Py and the doctor and for directions or to check a QR code. Mine does wait a bit before registering if the battery has run out but since I usually plug it in to the computer I don't know about that. I have an extra battery plus a fully charged one in my US phone so if I run out of battery I just change it.

I have a gazillion plugs because all but one of my devices are samsungs (the post on how many belongs in the developed country thread) and have the same chargers. No clue how much they cost. the chargers generally don't cost more than $5 from what I've seen. I've never had a charging socket fail, but guessing it's because I don't use them very much. Some are not even out of the boxes.

I won't be giving up my S3 until it isn't supported anymore. New isn't always good.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11139 on: April 13, 2016, 02:19:52 PM »

Both kids here had way older types. Fixing the one of my youngest would have costed €50, without being sure that they could fix it. The types after the Galaxy Young could be repaired for €10, with the guarantee that it could be fixed. In the older types the socket is part of the print in the phone. In later types it is a thing not integrated in the "heart" of the phone, so it can be replaced.

I've got my first smartphone since the day before my BD.
I've made three calls with it so far. One to test how to do it, and two actual calls.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11140 on: April 13, 2016, 03:01:42 PM »

My wife's phone got like that it was a Samsung but not a smart phone.  I got it to work normally after following directions i read I got it to work normally for a couple weeks till it started again that time the fix only worked about a week after that a couple days  and we just ended up getting a new one

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11141 on: April 13, 2016, 05:51:21 PM »
At least they are making the plugin about the same on all of them, and the charger voltage is pretty universal also.

I hit the rummage sales and pick them up for a .25 and .50 whenever I spot them sitting there, kid is always leaving them at friends house. Brand really doesn't make a difference for most of the smaller phones as long as the plug and the voltage are the same.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11142 on: April 13, 2016, 11:58:32 PM »
OMG, this is like the developed country thread. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #11143 on: April 15, 2016, 06:20:30 AM »

These are very serious issues.  Don't mock what you don't understand.  :M :'(

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11144 on: April 15, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »

These are very serious issues.  Don't mock what you don't understand.  :M :'(

:hug:

I'm sure it's a horrible, horrible situation.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein