Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 233012 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #9720 on: June 23, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »
Same here and threatening clouds due west and south of us.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #9721 on: June 23, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »
 I really want a chicken dinner
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9722 on: June 23, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »
Tired and grumpy.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9723 on: June 24, 2015, 05:00:02 AM »
My computer still has problems, hence I look at Intensity on my Kindle.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9724 on: June 24, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
Having go buy 2 tires.  I knew about one, but the other came about because of a gash in the sidewall.  Note to self -  damn the other drivers, make wider turns.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9725 on: June 24, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
It took 2 hours to get to work this morning and an hour and forty five minutes to get home today due to traffic :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9726 on: June 24, 2015, 06:34:19 PM »
Hard to figure out what the other drivers are thinking......then again, they don't seem to be doing very often.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9727 on: June 24, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
I think my newest pair of Koss Porta Pros are broken. They sound pretty bad.

Sorry to hear that. 

"What did you do?"  They are still under warranty, are they not?

If I can remember correctly, my newest set of modern 600 series Sennheisers were purchased only about two months or so before you bought your new set.
I was amazed at just how "broken in my son had gotten them (he listens at a tiny whisper - very sensitive ears!!)" just in about a month. I was totally expecting to have to continue breaking them in for a few more months but he got most of it done for me while we waited for HIS set of phones to come in.

Your only comment was along the lines of restating the axiom that "break in is very important."

Hard to imagine you breaking them, unless someone plugged them into an AV receiver with the LFE channeled through the mains.  That actually happened to my old pair of Koss vintage treasures - I still miss them.

:'(

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9728 on: June 24, 2015, 09:38:57 PM »

Hey, I just discovered that my old Koss Pro4AAAs (which I paid about one hundred dollars each US funds for back in the early eighties for six pair - that would be quite a bit more $$$ these days!!) have a lifetime warranty.
I am thinking of digging them out and sending them back to Koss.

:dunno:

Why the fuck not?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9729 on: June 25, 2015, 01:24:06 PM »

Sorry to hear that. 

If I can remember correctly, my newest set of modern 600 series Sennheisers were purchased only about two months or so before you bought your new set.
I was amazed at just how "broken in my son had gotten them (he listens at a tiny whisper - very sensitive ears!!)" just in about a month. I was totally expecting to have to continue breaking them in for a few more months but he got most of it done for me while we waited for HIS set of phones to come in.

Your only comment was along the lines of restating the axiom that "break in is very important."

Hard to imagine you breaking them, unless someone plugged them into an AV receiver with the LFE channeled through the mains.  That actually happened to my old pair of Koss vintage treasures - I still miss them.

I think my Porta Pros have a mechanical issue, actually.

Break in is very important indeed. The AKG 712s I bought a year ago sound a lot better now than when they were new. The sound now is wonderfully detailed and perfectly balanced. They punish lesser recordings to some degree, but that is to be expected.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9730 on: June 25, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »

Hey, I just discovered that my old Koss Pro4AAAs (which I paid about one hundred dollars each US funds for back in the early eighties for six pair - that would be quite a bit more $$$ these days!!) have a lifetime warranty.
I am thinking of digging them out and sending them back to Koss.

:dunno:

Why the fuck not?

They will honour the warranty. Koss are pretty nice that way. I'm thinking of doing the same with my Porta Pro pair.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9731 on: June 25, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »
Whole belly region in a mess. Mainly sore stomach, but the rest is no pleasure either. :P
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9732 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:35 PM »

Sorry to hear that. 

Break in is very important indeed. The AKG 712s I bought a year ago sound a lot better now than when they were new. The sound now is wonderfully detailed and perfectly balanced. They punish lesser recordings to some degree, but that is to be expected.

Been a while since I heard a pair ( sorry, not quite sure WHY the fact that they require "two sides" in order to work qualifies them as a pair, but I seem to follow blindly into use of the popular nomenclature, kind of like when one says they just bought a "PAIR" of jeans, when they only bought one jean  :zombiefuck:) of upper grade AKGs, but I can mainly remember thinking that "THESE WORK FINE! I WANT SOME!!"

Anxious to hear your experience with Koss' warranty. I already dug mine up and plan to send them in on my dime just to see what happens.

I have exactly "zero cubed" expectation that any modern company will support an ancient warranty. I have only a small investment to find out. Either way, I will come out ahead. Either with more knowledge or with some version of their attempt to honor a warranty that was offered so VERY long ago.
 :thumbup:

OH  and my year old (plus a bit) Sennheiser cans sound way better today than they did a year ago, by far. It would be impossible to prove, due to the horrid phenomenon of psycho-acoustics being such an elusive bitch, but they no longer fatigue me after hours of listening as they did when they were new. Probably means I have gotten used to them, right? 

Interestingly, about four months ago, I bought my wife an exact same pair of 'phones as mine ...

(yeah, a bit pricey for someone with "tomato can and string"  ears, but I did so for a number of reasons. First, I knew they would never hurt her. Second, I was curious as to how much pleasure she could experience, as a non listener, using very high grade cans as opposed to the shit crap shit she might choose from the "Dollar General Store."  Third, I wanted to have another "duplicate" set with which to compare MY set of 'phones. There are more reasons, but I think by now, you understand why I bought my "tin eared" wife a set of three hundred $ headphones)

... and if I had not marked them, it would be difficult to tell the difference, now. In fact, with my old Rock-N-Roll deadened ears, I might not be able to.

Now I can instantly tell whether I have mine or my son's set. Easypeasy! They sound different. These two sets which are "the same"  sound so close to "the same" that it is honestly difficult to tell them apart. 
They both sport a well balanced, very detailed, flat- "ish"  sound. NO complaints.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:48:36 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9733 on: June 27, 2015, 12:38:43 AM »

Sorry to hear that. 

Been a while since I heard a pair ( sorry, not quite sure WHY the fact that they require "two sides" in order to work qualifies them as a pair, but I seem to follow blindly into use of the popular nomenclature, kind of like when one says they just bought a "PAIR" of jeans, when they only bought one jean  :zombiefuck:) of upper grade AKGs, but I can mainly remember thinking that "THESE WORK FINE! I WANT SOME!!"

AKGs are lovely, and my preferred brand these days.

I picked up their noise-cancelling cans at an airport last year. I was sorely disappointed at first because I didn't like the sound stage or the tonal balance, but they have since grown on me--for some reason I never considered the fact of break-in with these, probably because they are noise-cancelling, but it is what has happened.

AKG demonstrate an engineering feat with these cans: they sound almost exactly the same with and without the noise-cancelling.

Anxious to hear your experience with Koss' warranty. I already dug mine up and plan to send them in on my dime just to see what happens.

I've invoked it in the past, with my kids' sets. No problems whatsoever, and the problems were always mechanical, caused by my kids.

I have exactly "zero cubed" expectation that any modern company will support an ancient warranty. I have only a small investment to find out. Either way, I will come out ahead. Either with more knowledge or with some version of their attempt to honor a warranty that was offered so VERY long ago.

I do think they will honour it.

OH  and my year old (plus a bit) Sennheiser cans sound way better today than they did a year ago, by far. It would be impossible to prove, due to the horrid phenomenon of psycho-acoustics being such an elusive bitch, but they no longer fatigue me after hours of listening as they did when they were new. Probably means I have gotten used to them, right?

Interestingly, about four months ago, I bought my wife an exact same pair of 'phones as mine ...

(yeah, a bit pricey for someone with "tomato can and string"  ears, but I did so for a number of reasons. First, I knew they would never hurt her. Second, I was curious as to how much pleasure she could experience, as a non listener, using very high grade cans as opposed to the shit crap shit she might choose from the "Dollar General Store."  Third, I wanted to have another "duplicate" set with which to compare MY set of 'phones. There are more reasons, but I think by now, you understand why I bought my "tin eared" wife a set of three hundred $ headphones)

... and if I had not marked them, it would be difficult to tell the difference, now. In fact, with my old Rock-N-Roll deadened ears, I might not be able to.

Now I can instantly tell whether I have mine or my son's set. Easypeasy! They sound different. These two sets which are "the same"  sound so close to "the same" that it is honestly difficult to tell them apart. 
They both sport a well balanced, very detailed, flat- "ish"  sound. NO complaints.

Not surprised. :)

I really want to spend the day listening to music today, but alas, I can't. Things to do.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9734 on: June 27, 2015, 09:50:14 AM »
I would love to use my day for music listening, but, alas, it is "finally"  not raining and my son and I have outdoor chores to do.

Notice how I just dropped that bomb?  Yes, it is no longer JUST me/I/bitch/slave/me/me/me. It is sometimes "my Son and I" who have chores to do.

While I still do most of the work, I find this teaching/learning thing to be quite exhilarating and I can go much longer, do way more "work"  as a "sensei" over the "dojo" that is our back garden than I ever might have done in solo.

Besides, the boy needs to build some muscle into his body and there is no better way than good, wholesome hard work.
At sixteen, he is actually larger than I am, but I am still much, MUCH stronger. Seriously, if it was not for this massive "Silver Back Gorilla" potato shaped gut I carry these days, mainly due to my past couple of years of infirmity, I would be OK "looking" and not that bad for an old Silverback,  :lol1:

Anyway my kid and I have some wood cutting to do and not the fun kind that ends in a "project"  coming to fruition, other than a simple woodpile for next year's barbeques.

I will let you know how Koss treats me with my impossible demand.