Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 234280 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #8700 on: August 14, 2014, 11:29:15 PM »
Try melatonin odeon, in time with the usual, natural sleep times (a downer the first night or two can be of use too, PM me if you want advice on where to get hold of some RC benzos, by all means), melatonin isn't really a sedative, but rather a (the?) hormone/neurotransmitter that regulates circadian rythms.

Would be a good idea to take some before setting off on a transatlantic flight too, as melatonin is both an excellent antioxidant, that doesn't undergo redox cycling, and a potent radio-protective agent, and of course, one gets exposed to more radiation up at howeverthemanyfuck thousand feet than down here with plenty atmosphere to block some energetic radiological nasties of the kind melatonin would be well-suited to.

Not sure how accurate it is, but I have read somewhere (forget where) that quite a bit of jet-lag is if not actually due to, very likely potentiated and exacerbated by the radiological exposure during flight time.

Melatonin doesn't work for me. I've tried it after previous flights. :(

But radiological exposure during the flight? Nah.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8701 on: August 14, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »
I can't sleep.

That's because it's not bedtime in America.   :orly:

Correct.

I fucking hate jetlag.

On the other hand, you can post at the same time as the Americans. :thumbup:

That would be nice, because NOBODY seems to post often when I am here.

Move to Sweden. :M
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #8702 on: August 15, 2014, 02:40:23 AM »
I can't sleep.

That's because it's not bedtime in America.   :orly:

Correct.

I fucking hate jetlag.

On the other hand, you can post at the same time as the Americans. :thumbup:

That would be nice, because NOBODY seems to post often when I am here.

Move to Sweden. :M

Remember to bring extra ammo, to share with the Swedes. :tooledup:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8703 on: August 15, 2014, 05:11:41 AM »
Hey DD, I take haloperidol (willingly though, and not injected). That sounds like some experience.

My quick bitch is that the Social Media class I have taken is from a public relations perspective and I have to give a speech about it in a few weeks. I am dreading it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8704 on: August 15, 2014, 05:20:18 AM »
Hey DD, I take haloperidol (willingly though, and not injected). That sounds like some experience.

My quick bitch is that the Social Media class I have taken is from a public relations perspective and I have to give a speech about it in a few weeks. I am dreading it.

No way for you to get around it by targeting a different public, the public that won't be reached by speeches?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8705 on: August 15, 2014, 05:26:16 AM »
No, I have to "engage the audience" which are my classmates.

:(
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8706 on: August 15, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
No, I have to "engage the audience" which are my classmates.

:(

Not sure if this is appropriate, but tossing Hershey Kisses to audience members for audience participation works wonders for CPAs in the audience.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8707 on: August 15, 2014, 07:38:33 PM »
Thats a MOST unusual reaction DD! never heard of it causing a psychotic break before.

And haldol...gah, not that I've ever taken it, or would do so willingly, but I'm very surprised, and utterly appalled that its still in clinical use. It has been proven to produce a metabolite, HPP+ that acts in the same way as the notorious parkinsons-causing neurotoxin MPTP, that destroys dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra, part of the brain involved with movement regulation.

I can post research articles if you want ren, but it would probably be a good idea to find an alternative AP, this stuff is dangerous, and has been shown to cause atrophy of the brain when used longterm. Nasty, seriously neurotoxic poisonous shite.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #8708 on: August 15, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »
Fucking narrow-minded bigots.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #8709 on: August 15, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
Fucking narrow-minded bigots.

They really have been showing their true colors in recent years.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8710 on: August 16, 2014, 12:10:46 AM »
Thats a MOST unusual reaction DD! never heard of it causing a psychotic break before.

And haldol...gah, not that I've ever taken it, or would do so willingly, but I'm very surprised, and utterly appalled that its still in clinical use. It has been proven to produce a metabolite, HPP+ that acts in the same way as the notorious parkinsons-causing neurotoxin MPTP, that destroys dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra, part of the brain involved with movement regulation.

I can post research articles if you want ren, but it would probably be a good idea to find an alternative AP, this stuff is dangerous, and has been shown to cause atrophy of the brain when used longterm. Nasty, seriously neurotoxic poisonous shite.
I was surprised I was prescribed haloperidol again (went off it years ago and had ziprasidone instead which apparently caused me heart problems which doctors found out while I was in hospital for depression (again)). It is for tics and I recently had my dose of haloperidol increased to 5mgs because I had a nasty new tic which affected my breathing. After a few days of being even worse, the tic mostly disappeared, thankfully. Haloperidol does cause Parkinson-like symptoms in me alone but I take benztropine to counteract those and it works really well.

Lestat, do you know of any alternatives to treat tics?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8711 on: August 16, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »
I wasn't referring to simple dyskinesias caused by dopamine receptor antagonism, but actual neuronal death, MPTP, the similarly acting toxin, for example, was discovered accidentally, after a guy decided to knock himself up some of a synthetic opioid, an analog of pethidine (meperidine in the US), and whilst doing a batch, he shortcutted the process by heating to accelerate the reaction, resulting in a decarboxylation/dehydration reaction, turning the synthetic opioid, MPP, into MPTP, methylphenyltetrahydropyridine (forget the numbering system, CBF to look it up right now, I'm tired), which when he, and some other users shot it up, basically went and instantly permafried his nigrostriatal tract, leaving him more or less paralysed, due to an incredibly severe form of chemically-induced parkinsons. It appears from its history of use, that  HPP+, the nasty haldol metabolite is less toxic, but certainly appears to be pretty bad news longterm. Ziprasidone is known for causing Q-T wave interval prolongation (interference with part of the electrophysiological depolarization-repolarization of pacemaker cells controlling the heart rate, as shown via ECG), you could try other neuroleptics, if you don't want off them altogether. 

Or what about a muscle relaxer? a couple of things that helped me with myoclonic muscle twitches, although the docs labelled that a tic, I disagree, but nevertheless, one of us has to be right...were clonidine, and tizanidine, the former mainly a hypotensive agent used to treat high blood pressure, although also used as a calming agent in AD(H)D, similar to guanfacine, tizanidine is another relative of those two, less hypotensive potency but much more of a myorelaxant. Worked wonders for me, all those three work by acting as agonists of the alpha2 adrenoreceptor, one of the adrenergic autoreceptors (autoreceptors are presynaptic receptors acting for the vast majority of cases as negative feedback loops serving to decrease neurotransmitter release when stimulated, thus clonidine and friends act to decrease noradrenaline release)

I find it has a whole lot of benefits, since getting scripted it, less overloading tendency, less overstimulation, and much, much less  motor twitching/myoclonus. Got scripted tizanidine as well, due to a longterm muscle spasm problem in my screwy leg and that just added to the effectiveness, although the latter is relatively short acting, and unsuitable in cases of severe liver disease)

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8712 on: August 16, 2014, 01:55:04 AM »
Yeah, ziprasidone was causing the QT wave interval prolongation. I wonder for how long because I took it for over two years.

I think myoclonus is very different from a tic (can't believe your doc made that mistake) and so not sure I would benefit from muscle relaxants. I go to the gym also and lift weights so in doubt there too.

I don't even know if 5mg a day of haloperidol is a high dose or not. Apparently, I was on a very high dose even for those with schizophrenia of ziprasidone. But it worked and I was sad to say goodbye to it.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8713 on: August 16, 2014, 02:44:22 AM »
Worn out. :GA:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8714 on: August 16, 2014, 02:50:42 AM »
Could be me making the mistake of course. And my doc (GP) didn't, a neurologist did, although never actually seeing the problem in general, spoke to me for all of 10 minutes face to face after my staying a couple of days in the hospital (wasn't hospitalized by its severity, rather, went there to see the neuro doc and get some answers, not to much success as it happens)

Either way, the most success I've had is with the alpha2 adrenergic agonists, although GABAa modulators like the benzos, and my current med of that kind that I take for sleep, chlormethiazole, an oddball sedative, oily, volatile, dissolves plastics/fuses capsules to the bottle if the pharmacist is dumb or inflexible enough to give out a glass one, acts more like a barbiturate than a benzo, more generally used for alcoholism detox than as a sedative/hypnotic agent as it inhibits metabolism of alcohol, although not in a similar way to antabuse/disulfiram which makes pissheads sick as hell if they drink, this stuff just makes even a small amount of alcohol hit like a truck full of sledgehammers. Before I got on it I could neck a pint to a pint and a half of vodka in one go and just get really pissed, now 3-4 shots of spirit is enough to KO me totally sometimes. Have heard of pissheads on the stuff smuggling in booze, and ending up green around the gills and throwing their insides outside on a couple of these lil fuckers heh.

Makes boozing cheap as chips though, if to be done with *extreme* caution.
Also I find that opioids not just decrease but totally abolish the motor problems I've experienced, whatever the fuck it actually is. Not that I can recommend that route, although I guess perhaps a moderate dose of one of the weaker opioids, such as codeine, hydrocodone, dihydrocodeine or similar could be tried. Probably healthier, despite the price tag they come with, than APs.

5mg/d of haldol isn't huge, no.

I have a strong hunch that APs with partial agonist effects rather than a true silent antagonist (receptor occupancy with zero efficacy) at D2 receptors may be quite a lot more tolerable than those with very tight binding and/or true antagonistic effects at D2Rs. The prototypical such drug would be the atypical clozapine, but that at least here is limited in use to a named-patient basis due to the danger of agranulocytosis, a haematological disorder. Sulpiride or amisulpiride might be ones to try. And in a low dose, apparently have unique mood-lifting 'activating' effects, not sure if sulpiride itself does this, but amisulpiride does.

I can do some more digging if you want, just let me know ren.