Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch, part two  (Read 234770 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Just one quick bitch, part two
« Reply #7275 on: December 11, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »
Have to get moving. A two-hour drive to a customer site.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7276 on: December 12, 2013, 02:39:35 AM »

Stupid cold and winter is a couple of weeks away, yet.

Right now five degrees Fahrenheit (negative fifteen degrees in Centigrade) with a ten mile per hour wind.

Just fucking COLD!!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7277 on: December 12, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »
The furnace died last night but I was able to get it working again  at about 1am
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7278 on: December 12, 2013, 11:39:07 PM »
Another cold sore. Yay. ::)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #7279 on: December 13, 2013, 09:28:52 AM »
I was at Systembolaget today. Why do idiots with no knowledge of German pronounce "Pilsner Urquell" with the stress on the last syllable?  :facepalm2: "Urquell" simply means "Ur-well".

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7280 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »
My furnace is still giving me problems I may have to call someone if it continues  :thumbdn:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #7281 on: December 13, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »
I was at Systembolaget today. Why do idiots with no knowledge of German pronounce "Pilsner Urquell" with the stress on the last syllable?  :facepalm2: "Urquell" simply means "Ur-well".

Because they have no knowledge of German. :nerdy:

Why are you drinking Pilsner Urquell in the winter? :GA:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

TheoK

« Reply #7282 on: December 13, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »

I'm not. I drink cognac and whisky and glögg. I heard two semi-illiterates discussing the beer, though  :thumbdn:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #7283 on: December 13, 2013, 03:03:10 PM »

I'm not. I drink cognac and whisky and glögg. I heard two semi-illiterates discussing the beer, though  :thumbdn:

:thumbup:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7284 on: December 14, 2013, 12:57:32 AM »
The furnace died last night but I was able to get it working again  at about 1am

Good luck with that.  Furnace problems in extreme cold can cause one to disrespect ones neighbors who have decent heat or maybe burn heirloom furniture to keep warm.

I forget where you live, but it is COLD here, in Indiana.  (It is MUCH colder in Minnesota and North Dakota right now.)

Where do you live?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7285 on: December 14, 2013, 01:05:18 AM »

Perhaps they were simply two half decent chaps, both from other lands, trying their best to communicate in the only language they had in common, despite the fact that neither knew shit about how German actually works in a grammatical sense.

It could be that two shitfaced blokes were befriending each other who only knew German as a third or seventh language and were still learning the ropes in German.

Importantly, were they laughing?

If so, then     'nuff said.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7286 on: December 14, 2013, 05:25:18 AM »

It actually means "from the source". "Pilsner Urquell" used to refer to beer "from the source", from the town of Plzen, and got to be the brand name of a locally brewed beer. I think they started brewing in 1939 or so, because they many Pilsner Urquell signs in Prague frequently include that number.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7287 on: December 14, 2013, 05:29:42 AM »

QFT

I hope you've taken the time to find out how to properly pronounce "Zlatopramen" and "Starobrno" before you attempt to buy them at Systembolaget. :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #7288 on: December 14, 2013, 05:41:27 AM »
Quell literally means "well" or "wellspring". It's a poetic spelling of Quelle It's cognate with Swedish källa and with Swedish names like Kville.

They always pronounce the u as a Swedish u - semi-illiterates never know that the Swedish pronounciation is the most uncommon pronunciation of that letter and, for some reason, with the stress on the last syllable.

If I buy something with a foreign name, I check what it means and how to correctly pronounce it, of course.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7289 on: December 14, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »
I know what "quell" means.

I also know how the name "Pilsner Urquell" came about. The definition of the word "quell" perfectly harmonises with the etymology, actually, if you think about it.

- Albert Einstein