Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 200435 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10365 on: November 12, 2017, 01:54:37 PM »
I've often noticed bees frantically gathering up the wet clay subsoil from my garden, when my digging exposes it.  i guess they must find it invaluable in their building work?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10366 on: November 13, 2017, 10:56:10 AM »
Wondering what the pup is doing right now. Silence is never a good thing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10367 on: November 15, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »
DD, thats as may be, but I am not a member of amazon prime, nor am I likely to become one, I don't watch much TV in the daytime at all, I only really watch two regular shows, TOS and voyager, and of late I've just kept it on and started following the plot in the series 'lost in space', an old scifi, quite unusual in that part way through it made the transition from being on black and white film stock to technicolor, and the change actually occurs midway through one of the episodes, which until that point had been monochrome, and suddenly halfway through one episode, it transitions to being shown in color.

That cannot be a common thing at all, for films or shows to be from the transition period between black and white, and color film, and I should think it even less common for them to be filmed in B&W and then the same series turned over to being rendered in color.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #10368 on: November 16, 2017, 07:13:51 AM »
  Time to get ready for another fucking day of work!  :autism:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10369 on: November 16, 2017, 09:36:52 AM »
You fuck at work?  :orly:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10370 on: November 16, 2017, 02:01:57 PM »

My mind is taking a vacation and defaulting to memes today.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10371 on: November 18, 2017, 06:25:40 AM »
DD, thats as may be, but I am not a member of amazon prime, nor am I likely to become one, I don't watch much TV in the daytime at all, I only really watch two regular shows, TOS and voyager, and of late I've just kept it on and started following the plot in the series 'lost in space', an old scifi, quite unusual in that part way through it made the transition from being on black and white film stock to technicolor, and the change actually occurs midway through one of the episodes, which until that point had been monochrome, and suddenly halfway through one episode, it transitions to being shown in color.

That cannot be a common thing at all, for films or shows to be from the transition period between black and white, and color film, and I should think it even less common for them to be filmed in B&W and then the same series turned over to being rendered in color.
Ooh! The Space Family Robinson! I watched that avidly when I was a kid, all for anything with an off-world setting. It wasn't near as intelligent as star Trek though. :(. I recall rolling about with laughter when they encountered a silocone based lifeform. and it turned out to look like a slithering lump of metal. Then my family alarmed me by failing to understand what the heck was so funny about that idea.  Heck. Do we look like lumps of coal? Damn, I suppose we do in alien sci-fi movies  :LOL:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10372 on: November 18, 2017, 09:42:14 AM »

It was rather common in that era. Many were actually filmed in color all along, but distributed in B&W because it was cheaper and not many people had color TV's, they were still too expensive.

Color TV's got less expensive...everyone ran out and finally got one...and then we had color.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10373 on: November 18, 2017, 09:56:25 AM »
^There is a famous quote from a British snooker commentator, from way back when most us still had monochrome TVs:

‘"And for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green.’  (John Lowe) . How very helpful!  :LOL:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #10374 on: November 18, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
You fuck at work?  :orly:

Even better:  I cook bacon!  :bacon: :bacon: :bacon:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10375 on: November 18, 2017, 12:35:47 PM »
There was at least one Si-based life form on star trek too (TOS, the horta, I think the episode might have been 'devil in the dark'

Although how practical an actual silicon-based life-form would be is at best, debatable, since silicon cannot form anything close to the variety of bonds carbon does, and the stabilities of multiple bonds including silicon atoms is quite different (a lot weaker for silicon compounds involving double or triple bonds, which are a lot less stable than a Si-Si bond.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10376 on: November 18, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »
I saw it once depicted in science fiction as a series of interconnected crystals suspended in liquid, which communicated by chiming against each other.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10377 on: November 18, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »
I saw it once depicted in science fiction as a series of interconnected crystals suspended in liquid, which communicated by chiming against each other.
I like that  8)

Actually, I suppose what with neural nets, quantum computers and the humble electronic virus, we could be verging on creating Si-based life?  Or maybe it's already evolved from the primordial soup we've obligingly provided?  Hey! Didn't Ian Gibson write a novel in which Papa Legba had incarnated within the internet? (albeit a future development of the same) ... or so I seem to vaguely remember, from my SF reading, back in the eighties.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #10378 on: November 18, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
:gopher:

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here