Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 200439 times)

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10305 on: October 17, 2017, 07:04:16 AM »
"Car malaise" - Is that a term?

To describe the feeling you get when something feels WRONG with your car but you can't quite pinpoint what it is?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10306 on: October 17, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »

To describe the feeling you get when something feels WRONG with your car but you can't quite pinpoint what it is?

Just got out of that situation.  However I had a suspicion about the second part of the malaise.  $480 later no more malaise, but no more money either.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10307 on: October 21, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
Wishing I could take a one week vacation by myself. Not far, just some place where I can cocoon for awhile and regroup.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10308 on: October 22, 2017, 12:39:44 AM »

Just got out of that situation.  However I had a suspicion about the second part of the malaise.  $480 later no more malaise, but no more money either.
I have a feeling that will happen to me soonish. The car is overdue for a service. Last time I had to get all the fluids changed. All up, it cost $600.  :zombiefuck:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10309 on: October 22, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »
Wondering if I really want to stay up and watch the show I was planning on watching or just tape it for later.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10310 on: October 23, 2017, 12:21:04 AM »
^That's just so last century.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10311 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:15 AM »
Okay, I meant it save it on my TiVo. Whatever you want to call it. It's not like I'm taping it on my VCR :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10312 on: October 23, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »
That's okay Phoenix.  I only recently have been able to distinguish between CDs and DVDs when talking.  And I have to consciously say "record" rather than "tape."

I hope to buy one of those new fangled fountain pens soon and get rid of the quill pen I've been using.   :headbang2:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10313 on: October 23, 2017, 01:52:42 PM »
That's okay Phoenix.  I only recently have been able to distinguish between CDs and DVDs when talking.  And I have to consciously say "record" rather than "tape."

I hope to buy one of those new fangled fountain pens soon and get rid of the quill pen I've been using.   :headbang2:
:lol1:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10314 on: October 23, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »
That I should have posted my post from the what are you feeling right now here instead of there.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10315 on: October 23, 2017, 10:22:45 PM »
Whats wrong with a quill pen? I like writing with them.

Hm, there's a thought...I might just have to take my handwritten lab notes, the ones that are worthy enough to go into a leatherbound book rather than just the notebooks for my, well, notetaking. But for the bona-fide great successes, the kind worthy of a permanent and elegant recording for future use, I think I might just do that. Quill-pens feel comfortable in my hand, the way they move across the paper or parchment, whilst ballpoint pens, I really hate writing with them, they make my hand ache and almost go into a sort of weird, highly localized sensory overload. Like the overload version of a local anaesthetic. That and making me ache. Pencils are better but too impermanent for a record of the best of my achievements in chemistry, and how they are to be re-achieved, in meticulous detail, when perfection is of the essence. That'd be perfect! I might even get myself a bigger leatherbound book than I already have for that, just so I can start it and continue exclusively written with quill and ink.

And if I go for style I could, just for the theme, use the old-fashioned ink that can be made from certain fungi, notaby those in the genus Coprinus, which deliquesce into black, deep dark inky slime, and used to be used, with certain additives to make it more permanent and preserve it from decay, as a good black writing ink. That is, if I don't eat them first before they get inky and go inedible (there are two especially good ones, Coprinus comatus, the shaggy ink-cap aka the lawyer's wig, which is excellent when fried in butter and extremely easily identified even for a n00b mushroom-muncher with a good degree of safety, and very little risk of misidentification indeed, none in fact if they be more than a few hours old, when the gills turn from pure white to developing a pinkish tinge, before finally blackening and the entire mushroom degenerating into black, inky slime laden with spores. The other large species of good edibility is C.atrementarius, the common ink-cap, which is again fairly easily identified, to the point I know either of them on sight from a fair way off and am very rarely mistaken upon waking closer. Tasty, but they MUST NEVER be eaten with alcohol, nor must one drink any alcohol, nor use alcoholic mouthwashes, medicines containing alcohol, or indeed any other primary or secondary alcohol of intoxicant nature (however tertiary alcohols such as tertiary pentanol can be used as an intoxicant, since tert.alcohols can't be easily oxidized into either aldehydes (primary alcohols including ethanol, our most common drinking alcohol, metabolized into acetaldehyde, which is largely responsible for the horrid symptoms of a severe hangover, as well as that awful faint-fruity kind of smell that you can taste on the breath several hours after drinking say, vodka in a fair quantity, thats the faint smell of some of the acetaldehyde produced in the liver.

The common ink-cap however, whilst totally harmless in the absence of alcohols oxidizable to aldehydes or ketones (primary, secondary respectively) in the liver, contain a compound called coprine, which inhibits aldehyde dehydrogenase, a liver enzyme which breaks down many aldehydes thus causing them to build up in levels far exceeding those naturally formed during the ingestion of alcohol, and acting like nature's answer to disulfiram (antabuse), the drug used on alcoholics who have ceased drinking, as a relapse-preventative attempt via aversion therapy. Won't kill you, unless you got real unlucky indeed and drank a shitton of booze but it would make you wish it had done.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:35:10 PM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10316 on: October 24, 2017, 02:15:59 AM »
Having a mental self-debate-stroke-argument with myself, as  to whether or not I am going to perform what is just about my most-despised, loathed, hated reaction in all organic chemistry I have ever tangled with, although using it in a different way to that of all past attempts (and all of  those come to fuck all of use, and a bunch of toxic wastes that I really don't want around). On the one hand I HATE it. And it hates me at least as much, probably quite a lot more, than I loathe IT, amd the substrate, whilst I can make more, is reacted with another reagent which is to say the least, rather precious, not so much in terms of price, but in terms of being able to get any that isn't watched like a hawk by big brother, although I have my ways, and I need not buy more, not for my self-arguing theoretical purpose, since I have over a liter already, and of course me being me, I have my ways and means, channels both overt and covert, On the other I can find step-by-step writeups and also analyses of the writeups quality and quirks by those other fellow chemists who have used the reaction with the secondary reagent's one carbon smaller, smallest and nearest relative.

I could make these reagents, but its easier by far to buy them, and to make them would involve making an expensive silver compound, after first getting a considerably large amount of metallic silver and dissolving it in nitric acid, which again, I'd have to prepare myself by dissolving some of my sodium nitrate in concentrated sulfuric acid and distilling off the nitric acid formed. Not the most pleasant of tasks, and to prepare large quantities of the needed reagent I'd also need sodium nitrIte, which I do not have. Or potassium nitrite, again I don't have this either, or any other nitrite, only sodium nitrAte, as my general stock nitrate salt, which when needful I can prepare nitric acid from and use that to prepare other metal nitrate salts. And I'd need a LOT of silver too, and the only Ag I have, its all part of antiques, bar a bottle of about 25g of silver chloride. And if anybody thinks I'm going to dump centuries old silver artefacts into conc. nitric acid then they've another thing coming. Especially the biggest piece of silver I have, thats real old, more than half a millenium old. So no. It is not replacable, and is doubtless quite valuable although I've never come across a jeweller who was able even to give me a valuation, nobody I've tried has ever seen its like before. Other than generic 'a jerusalem cross', neither antiques dealers nor dealers in precious metals or jewellers have been able to inform me as to its actually)
progeny. Its one thing to buy silver bullion for making silver nitrate (its cheaper actually to buy silver metal and make your own nitric acid with a cheap nitrate salt and conc. sulfuric acid, even drain-cleaner, and distill off the resultant concentrated nitric acid, or with 100% sulfuric rather than 96%-99% drain cleaner acid (yes its dyed, but yes it does have its uses even un-distilled) one can make fuming nitric acid, at least WFNA, or if really needed, prepare the WFNA (white-fuming-nitric-acid, basically 100% HNO3) and make RFNA (red fuming nitric acid, which is WFNA with dissolved NOx gases, nitrogen dioxide giving it the color due to breakdown of the added , dinitrogen tetroxide) by preparing and adding the appropriate quantity of dinitrogen tet separatey (N2O4 is thermodynamically unstable, reverting to an equilibrium of NO2 and N2O4, when above a critical temperature (a sub-zero temperature rather than high-temp rxn)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10317 on: October 28, 2017, 04:40:25 AM »
I miss my car (emo)

Only three more sleeps till I get him back.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10318 on: October 28, 2017, 05:25:05 AM »
While mine will take a well-deserved rest over the winter months.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10319 on: October 28, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »
I tried my car's air conditioning yesterday. Still works.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae