Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 200527 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10470 on: January 25, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »
Whoever said a cat won't come when you call it isn't doing it right.

I can meow and both mine will come running.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a crazy cool life skill or if I've just been spending too much time with cats.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10471 on: January 25, 2018, 03:36:25 PM »
IQ - I started whistling to the kittens when I fed them.  They associated that whistle with food and would come if they were outside and within earshot.  Or they could be just ignoring me.  But they would come pretty quickly, so they must have been out of earshot.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10472 on: January 26, 2018, 12:21:36 AM »
I'm thinking about Junk Out The Front we are having soon. It's a week where you can leave all household junk on the front verge to be collected. We have two old TV's, a lounge and an old rat cage. Will be glad to see them gone.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10473 on: January 26, 2018, 03:05:25 AM »
Thinking about what I need to do today, as opposed to what I should do today.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10474 on: January 26, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »
Hey maybe you could recycle the electron gun portion of the CRTs of the TVs for an emitter for a particle accelerator, electron linac or some other design, like a betatron.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10475 on: January 26, 2018, 11:16:11 PM »
I think the TVs are plasma, not CRT. They're very heavy, whatever they are.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #10476 on: January 28, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
Wondering about too many things to really be specific here.
:dog:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10477 on: January 29, 2018, 09:23:18 PM »
The CRT types are the ones with the big conical thick glass vacuum tube for a screen, with the electron gun set in the back, surrounded by a coil of copper wire. If it has a flat screen then its not a CRT. I've never taken apart a plasma screen, never have one of them to take  to bits.

I've often wondered about smashing the glass off one, or else melting a hole using concentrated hydrofluoric acid (NOT a way for someone who isn't a chemist and who knows the safety precautions to take with it. I've seen videos of what HF does to a chicken-leg piece of butcher-meat and compared to other acids it was hideous, looked all grey and diseased and necrotic even when the leg itself wasn't attached to a chicken, a dead piece of meat turned to greyish diseased looking slime, and it is AWFULLY toxic, since HF has several traits that are an ideal recipe put together to make for a damn nasty chemical, its a weak acid due to the incredinbly electronegative nature of fluorine, in fact it is THE most electronegative single element, and forms very strong bonds to other chemical elements, as a result there is a significant covalent element to the bonding in HF, and the hydrogen to fluorine bond's strength mean hydrofluoric acid doesn't dissociate into hydrogen ions and fluoride ions in solution to a great deal, meaning it isn't significantly dissociated in aqueous solution, and as such it can pass through intact skin and enter body tissues easily, and with conc. HF even a tiny amount of skin surface area coming into contact with it can be fatal, stuff penetrates skin, enters the body, burning from the inside as it goes, and also fluorine has a high affinity for calcium, forming insoluble calcium fluoride, CaF2, as it  leaches the calcium from bones and precipitates the calcium from the blood, as insoluble solids, plus causing a massive drop in serum calcium levels aside from the acid-burns and deep-penetration abilities, the subsequent profound hypocalcaemia causes a fatal heart attack. Meant to cause absolutely excruciatingly painful burns too. Any exposure means hospital trip, and you need to keep both injectable solution of and topical gel-based calcium gluconate right there on hand, and ideally also a solution to douse yourself in in case of emergency.)

It does have its uses though, such as an ability to melt/burn through or etch glass. (and breaking CRTs, one needs to be careful and wear eye protection since the inside is under vacuum and they implode violently)

I've often wondered though about releasing the vacuum in a CRT display and salvaging the electron gun, winding some powerful sextupole electromagnets and quadrupole magnets for strong-focusing and guidance, and of course, getting a turbomolecular pump, building the appropriate cryogenic systems, building and preparing a thick, tough hollow tube for the LINAC vacuum chamber and cool down the superconducting magnets and a set of roughing pumps to start the turbopump, of course, adding cryo-traps to stop stuff getting into the pumps and using the electron gun to build a small (well obviously, compared to the big bastards like SLAC operating at super-high energy that would be required, along with trans-national tunneling systems, but it'd just be fun to build a working one, or build a cyclotron for higher energy efficiency, although truth told I'd sooner have myself a proton accelerator than one designed for firing electron/positron beams, so I could investigate certain aspects of deuteron bombardment with certain elements and isotopes (deuterons are similar to protons, hydrogen ions, only in the form of heavy hydrogen nuclei , essentially a proton-neutron pair, and with an odd property that deuteron bombardment can it seems induce radioadioactivity in these elements, although I'm not sure how, and I'd definitely rather do some experimental work and figure it out for myself than just be given the answer.

Also thinking 'mmmm these are some GOOD donuts. Bought two well-stuffed boxes of krispy kreme, all full of a big fat variety grab-bag selection of different kinds. 24 donuts, selected from the majority of the kinds of the donuts sold by the store, would have been more,  but some people had cleaned out a few of the kinds, like the nutella stuffed ones. I did a fairly good job of cleaning out most of the rest and had somebody else not actually said 'hey leave some for me' I might have bought another box, if there were enough to fill a 12-count box of the buggers.

Raspberry cream, cookie-dough cream and sprinkles, raspberry and dark chocolate, dark chocolate cream filling and many many more different sorts.

Also, happened by chance to bump into the doctor who is my main assigned GP, said he plans to pay me a phonecall. I'm hoping its to give me the go-ahead finally on my memantine request, which he has agreed to support and has just basically been trying to cover his arse.

Hoping it means that nows the time, that I'll actually get to take a script over to a pharmacy and start picking some up, so I can start the work titrating it to get the maximum benefit vs minimum unwanted effects. (although I've a fair bit of experience starting and continuing memantine cycles so I more or less know both how it affects me with how much, how frequently and know what effects to expect from it with what dose and at what points in time when starting first after a while off it to expect what.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10478 on: January 30, 2018, 12:04:18 AM »
When I was in high school (about 1971) we had a bunch of those old TVs to play with and re-purpose.

I took two of them apart, salvaged what I needed and made a Theremin using a couple of old coffee can lids for the capacitive sensors. I got an "A" on my first semester grade.
My teacher helped keep me on track after I showed him my idea. He was a WWII Navy vet who could take any one of those old TVs and make a two way radio, all day long. Yes, they are designed as receivers, but to alter the frequencies at which the operated, then make them broadcast took a little ingenuity. He had that and much more.

DO you know what a Theremin is?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10479 on: January 30, 2018, 12:09:40 AM »
So, Who knows who this is?

Hint: He is actually quite famous.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:12:28 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10480 on: January 30, 2018, 12:12:16 AM »
I didn't know, but I googled it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qf9O6c20o
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10481 on: January 30, 2018, 03:03:16 AM »
DO you know what a Theremin is?

I do, yes, and have been thinking about getting one. Or making one.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #10482 on: January 30, 2018, 05:04:32 AM »
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10483 on: January 30, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
I built a very cool one forty years ago, when I was in high school.

But what about the pic I posted?

Second hint: He is an actor of stage, television and the big screen.

Third hint: He has been Knighted by Queen Elizabeth II

Honestly, I would never have recognized him, either.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:25:25 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10484 on: January 30, 2018, 04:07:32 PM »
Thinking about food.

- Albert Einstein