Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 200584 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10350 on: November 04, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »
  Leaf blowing is stupid.  Just use a rake.  :M :P

You have obviously never used a leaf blower.  :M

I have a backpack version...I can start it up for you.  >:D

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10351 on: November 04, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »
I saw my neighbour running over his leaf-covered lawn with a lawnmower. It was surprisingly effective at cleaning it up.

It does indeed.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10352 on: November 04, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
I saw my neighbour running over his leaf-covered lawn with a lawnmower. It was surprisingly effective at cleaning it up.

It does indeed.

If you put the bagger on it works like a vacuum.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10353 on: November 05, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »
The best thing for the lawn and the bees during the winter is to leave the leaves on the grass. I run the mower over mine to mulch it up and then leave it there over winter.

Currently thinking that I hope I don't end up having to leave the house today. I don't another stay at home day until the end of the month.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10354 on: November 05, 2017, 07:38:33 PM »
The best thing for the lawn and the bees during the winter is to leave the leaves on the grass. I run the mower over mine to mulch it up and then leave it there over winter.

Currently thinking that I hope I don't end up having to leave the house today. I don't another stay at home day until the end of the month.

Yep, unless you have a Magnolia tree...and a hill.

Magnolia leaves are a special type of fun when they start to break down after the first light snow...the hill just adds to the fun factor.

This is also why you should avoid taking the trash down the hill on that side of the house.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10355 on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »
How does leaving leaves on the grass help the bees?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10356 on: November 05, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »

I actually don't know on that, I think some insects/ground animals use them as shelter in the winter...didn't know about bees.

The moles & shrews around here seem to have a blast burrowing in them though...and I find salamanders hiding in them quite a lot.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10357 on: November 07, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
I'm just going to wait until star trek TOS and voyager have come on and finished, plus the sci-fi 'lost in space' since I've already started following the plot of it, then going to go and set up my new rotavap.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10358 on: November 07, 2017, 01:48:53 PM »
^ Here in Australia that speed is just as probable as winning the lottery. Well you have to be really lucky to get that anyway, even with this new fandangled "NBN"

Actually, I have to pay nineteen dollars more per month on my cable bill to jump from around twenty something to the "hopeful"  ninety mbps range.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10359 on: November 08, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »
I'm just going to wait until star trek TOS and voyager have come on and finished, plus the sci-fi 'lost in space' since I've already started following the plot of it, then going to go and set up my new rotavap.

Most of Star Trek is available "free" in HD if you are a member of Amazon Prime. Need a decent streaming service provider, but I watch some Star Trek (I like them all) almost every day.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #10360 on: November 08, 2017, 01:23:44 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice to be cashed up and somewhere tropical
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10361 on: November 08, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »

There are so many different kinds of bees, both hive builders and underground dwellers, most of which are beneficial in some way, that this question may have a convoluted set of conflicting answers.

Also do not forget the many ground dwellers who are not actually bees, but wasps or hornets, commonly mistaken for bees due to peoples'  ignorance.

For hive builders, the availability of late season, easy to scavenge products for their continued "work" is an advantage.
One point about ground dwelling bees and wasps is that they are all fierce competitors, mostly either carnivorous or omnivorous,  this also includes ants, and invade each other's homes in search of eggs and larvae almost constantly.
One way of defeating the enemy's efforts is to make many entrances (and exits) to the underground nesting sites with a few being simply decoys in the case of bees. Preparing for the wintering over for the future of the nest, as they aid the young in pupating, the benefit of close resources during that time is undeniably a   treasure.

Not sure how much the purely vegetarian nectar eaters are helped, other than raw materials for nest building and sealing at easy hand.

Yep, I have watched a lot of Discovery Channel and Nature shows. I still wonder how they get those TINY cameras into just right place to get all those shots of the life of these amazing animals.
 :dunno:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #10362 on: November 08, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
"The road to Gundagai" it is a song. Nice enough ditty. But when it is going around and around without an end, it becomes a thing of evil.

I am trying to kill it by thinking "Out on the board, the old shearer stands, grasping his iron in his thin bony hands...." if that sticks, it will be even more annoying
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #10363 on: November 08, 2017, 04:17:15 PM »
  Thinking that crepiness and wrinkling in spots is the beginning of post-obesity loose skin.  :nerd!:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10364 on: November 08, 2017, 07:57:02 PM »
For hive builders, the availability of late season, easy to scavenge products for their continued "work" is an advantage.
One point about ground dwelling bees and wasps is that they are all fierce competitors, mostly either carnivorous or omnivorous,  this also includes ants, and invade each other's homes in search of eggs and larvae almost constantly.
One way of defeating the enemy's efforts is to make many entrances (and exits) to the underground nesting sites with a few being simply decoys in the case of bees. Preparing for the wintering over for the future of the nest, as they aid the young in pupating, the benefit of close resources during that time is undeniably a   treasure.

Not sure how much the purely vegetarian nectar eaters are helped, other than raw materials for nest building and sealing at easy hand.

Yep, I have watched a lot of Discovery Channel and Nature shows. I still wonder how they get those TINY cameras into just right place to get all those shots of the life of these amazing animals.
:dunno:

:plus: Interesting. A whole epic war going on under our feet.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.