Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 200605 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10335 on: November 01, 2017, 04:52:44 AM »
Just got back home, waiting for my hands to warm up and pain meds to kick in, went out to buy food+drink.

Got plenty of some really good pastries the co-op do round here, especially these cheese and chilli jalapeno rolls that really do have a nice bit of fire in them, along with various custard danishes and tarts, pain au chocolat.  And still got a good  £260-something, which I'm hoping might be enough to get me a diaphragm type vacuum pump on ebay, with a teflon interior, is what I want, so it'll be a lot less susceptible to any nasty ass corrosives and other highly reactive compounds getting through cold-traps. Especially if I'm using something like Fomblin oil, one of their fluoroinert high-vac oils to provide extra protection and long life for the oil. And to that end, I want a suitable U-tube, or set of them, for running cold traps using either liquid nitrogen or dry ice-acetone traps (when doing vacuum distillation its often advisable or needed to have a coolant bath with a trap immersed in a very cold mixture like that, which is set up inline between the exhaust from the system being put under vacuum and the intake of the pump, so anything that wants to get into the pump has to pass through the trap first and be frozen out; something especially important if distilling things that could corrode the insides of the pump and destroy moving parts)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10336 on: November 01, 2017, 06:05:37 AM »
There's some meeting booked into the appointment diary at work for next Wednesday, and it's been mandated that absolutely everybody attend. Even the people from the other office have to make the 30 min drive over!

Crush boi and I have been wracking our brains to figure out what the deal is! Redundancies? Staff training session? Performance reviews? One of the partners announcing forced retirement and an impromptu farewell? (the one that used to bully me just got a bad cancer diagnosis apparently. Karma, you're not a nice man!)

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10337 on: November 01, 2017, 06:30:03 AM »
Yay, CQ :D Fucking hate bullies.  Thats wonderful to hear. Although bad cancer dx? there aren't really any GOOD   cancer diagnoses, because regardless of how resistant to treatment and aggressive it is, or isn't, at the end of the day one still has cancer.

Sounds like that guy has cancer of his bastard-glands:P

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10338 on: November 01, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »
Horrible black ice on the roads tonight. I was already tired and now I'm wiped out and there's too much shit still to do.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10339 on: November 01, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »
^ Here in Australia that speed is just as probable as winning the lottery. Well you have to be really lucky to get that anyway, even with this new fandangled "NBN"
Kayleigh and I have fibre to the premises which is a pretty cool NBN thing to have. Most other people I know have fibre to the node. It depends on how close your house is to the node as to how fast your internet is.

I persuaded Kayleigh to do a speed test - 100Mb/s download and only 40Mb/s upload.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10340 on: November 02, 2017, 01:23:22 AM »
Sick and tired of this place.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #10341 on: November 02, 2017, 02:37:50 AM »

Maybe stop being a prick and make up for previous episodes of being a prick and people will treat you better.
Treat people badly and keep doing that, then fine, but don't then get maudlin that you are misunderstood or treated unfairly.
That is not you being a victim. That is you being entitled.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10342 on: November 02, 2017, 06:49:26 AM »
^ Here in Australia that speed is just as probable as winning the lottery. Well you have to be really lucky to get that anyway, even with this new fandangled "NBN"
Kayleigh and I have fibre to the premises which is a pretty cool NBN thing to have. Most other people I know have fibre to the node. It depends on how close your house is to the node as to how fast your internet is.

I persuaded Kayleigh to do a speed test - 100Mb/s download and only 40Mb/s upload.

It's FTTN here. The node as far as I can determine is just on the corner outside the bottle shop, so we're the closest residence to it as far as the crow flies but I'm not sure which way the copper cable runs. I'm waiting for a neighbour to get it and report their speeds before I decide to get it or not.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10343 on: November 02, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »

*hands over the chocolate*

It's too early for the wine yet.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10344 on: November 02, 2017, 11:44:10 AM »
It needs to be the weekend
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10345 on: November 02, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
Methinks tonight shall be the night I finally tangle with a certain chemistry reaction that has from the very first time I ever tried it has defeated me, its not one I like at all for many, many reasons, and one that uses an exceedingly poisonous chemical in the process, and its finicky as hell.

But, I've finally been given a step by step guide from somebody who performed it on a small scale and succeeded, getting maybe a 70-80 percent yield of the desired end product. I've only a very small amount of the critical reagent used in the reaction (the nasty ass poisonous one), although enough for several tries, since only a miniscule quantity is required in any case, tens of milligrams, and I've got a few hundred at least, maybe over a half gram left. So more than enough; I just want to use it up, so what can be achieved with its use is achieved, or at least attempted to the best of my abilities, so then its gone, and I can then turn to other methods that I'd prefer to use by far, such as use of lithium aluminium hydride (LiAlH4 or in chemist shorthand 'LAH'), its pyrophoric, water sensitive as hell, sensitive to oxygen, and needs to be handled under rigorously dried inert gas atmospheres, in glassware dried by flame, and the ether or THF used as solvent first pre-dried over conventional dessicants suitable for dessication of ethers and then by boiling it in a flame-dried flask with the condenser treated likewise and protected by a drying tube loaded with an efficient drying agent, and distilling from the sodium (or potassium, calcium, barium or strontium, as well as lithium ought to do just fine also) directly into the flask in which the reaction is to be performed, the sodium etc. serving to react irreversibly to produce sodium hydroxide as byproduct, and binding the water chemically, removing all but the most miniscule traces, fractions of a fraction of a percent at most,.

Whilst it reacts very violently with water, and will ignite on contact with solvent containing any H2O, or ignite when exposed to air, giving off a very large quantity of hydrogen gas and  this igniting also when the LAH does so.

But, unlike the stuff I'll be using the last of, essentially to get rid of it, but in getting rid of it, derive what benefit it has to bestow, LAH is environmentally friendly and not itself a virulent poison, just requires great care in handling.

And its much more reliable, its fast, clean and doesn't produce toxic waste that is both a cumulative poison in living things, an environmental contaminant if not recycled and the Hg reclaimed, and the wastes are not malignant stuff. So, its preferable. And what it does, it does with great efficiency.

So, tonight, the person who succeeded and was kind enough to give me a blow-by-blow account of a reaction of the kind that I've failed at every attempt before, and at great cost in terms of resources, time, effort and money, as well as in reagents that are both watched as hell and difficult to obtain, their kindness will be put to good use, their work used as guide, and hopefully, success as they themselves had will finally, finally be mine. I'll have to do a recrystallization on my substrate first, but that won't take long or be difficult. Re-X from isopropanol will be just the thing I should think, perhaps in THF, although that would be more of an experiment, I'd have to test the substrate to see how soluble it is in THF, but I have no shortage of THF, or substrate either for that matter. Although the latest lot of said substrate does need some methanol removing from the post-reaction liquors to enable the crystallization of the substrate, and then needs my working it up to get it nice and clean, a re-X or two. No biggie anyway.

I just want to make this damn tricky, variable reaction work for me at least once, basically because I do not want to allow such a thing to beat me. It has cost me so much time, money, effort and chemicals that I HAVE to get it right at least once. I'm not the type to stand by and let the bugger laugh at me :P

And there's a horror movie (or its meant to be) in the background on TV, set in australia. Started with some guy getting stopped by the filth, fraudulently setting him up for a traffic stop and giving him an illegal ticket, trying to ruin his business, treating the guy like shit. Only he gets back into his car, takes a hunting rifle and blows one of the two copper's heads open, splattering his brains everywhere leaving him with just half a head, and forcing the driver pig off the road. Walks up to him trying to crawl away. Cop says 'I think my leg's broken' pleading for help, only for the guy they abused to grab his broken leg and wrench it, breaking it again in two places. Twist-SNAP!-twist-CRACK! *pig shrieks in agony*

Guy then says 'know what I do with pigs who don't stop squealing? I make them be quiet' before knifing the guy in the spine to paralyze him, putting him back in the pig car with the other pig, the one that just had his skull blown in half, and takes out a can of petrol, pouring it all over him, whilst the copper pleads for his life, saying he can make that ticket go away. Guy they abused just tucks the speeding ticket into the copper's pocket and says 'or I can make you go away', lights a cigarette and flicks the match onto the living pig, leaving him screaming as he burns to death, whilst the driver they stopped walks away and gets back into his car.

Horror? hardly. Thats music to my bloody ears that is. I'd SO love to burn a pig alive like that. Maybe saw the top of their skull open, lift it off and sprinkle bleach all over their exposed brain and leave them to burn. Hopefully they'd survive, hideously brain-damaged and live the rest of their life in a half-existence of pure torture :P

Hardly a horror movie so far, this is fucking golden :autism: its a comedy, not a horror :D

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10346 on: November 03, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »

It's FTTN here. The node as far as I can determine is just on the corner outside the bottle shop, so we're the closest residence to it as far as the crow flies but I'm not sure which way the copper cable runs. I'm waiting for a neighbour to get it and report their speeds before I decide to get it or not.
Yeah, those cables probably are laid as the road goes.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #10347 on: November 04, 2017, 08:00:46 AM »
  Leaf blowing is stupid.  Just use a rake.  :M :P
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10348 on: November 04, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »
  Leaf blowing is stupid.  Just use a rake.  :M :P
:indeed:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10349 on: November 04, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
I saw my neighbour running over his leaf-covered lawn with a lawnmower. It was surprisingly effective at cleaning it up.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.