Author Topic: Speech impairment in celebrities  (Read 1685 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Speech impairment in celebrities
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
cbc my vocabulary fails me when I need it most as well

Speaking out loud to someone outside of my immediate family is really difficult for me. I think years of social anxiety have contributed to it a lot though. but it is also something much more than that, and I'm not sure exactly what. I wish there was a name for whatever it was that was wrong with my speaking, so I could find out how best to try and overcome it, but I don't think it's an actual disorder I have - more that I just find it very difficult talking out loud to people. So much running through my head, it's really difficult getting it out in words and in the right order isn;t it?

Especially if you're having a conversation with someone, coz then you've gotta worry about all the stuff that aspies usually have difficult with as well - like what it is the other person is saying, what you're SUPPOSED to say back, when you're meant to respond, if you're meant to laugh etc

so confusing lol

I actually wish I had a speech impairment sometimes, as it would give me an excuse

Yeah, I talk up a storm most of the time, but when I'm angry I just can't get myself organized to fight back.  :-\
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »
I don't really talk much at all, so that is probably part of my problem. I'm just not used to it

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
I also have problems with finding words, I know what I want to say, but it gets lost somewhere between my brain and my mouth and I'll pronounce words wrong or say the wrong word totally. Annoying as hell.

Now when someone really pisses me off past the point of no return it's a different story, I'm very proficient with sentence enhancers. :laugh:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
I also have problems with finding words, I know what I want to say, but it gets lost somewhere between my brain and my mouth and I'll pronounce words wrong or say the wrong word totally. Annoying as hell.

Now when someone really pisses me off past the point of no return it's a different story, I'm very proficient with sentence enhancers. :laugh:

"Sentence enhancers,"  would those by any chance be  swear words?  :zoinks:

People forget.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »

Worse than a sailor. :laugh:

I think I hung out in the garage with dad too much when he was working on the car. ::)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »

Worse than a sailor. :laugh:

I think I hung out in the garage with dad too much when he was working on the car. ::)

I'll bet that you make a lasting impression, and that people think twice before pissing you off again!   :2thumbsup:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 07:42:09 AM »
I very occasionally stutter a tiny bit.  More annoying is my inability to express my anger directly to the people I'm angry at.

*cough* BOSS *cough*   :bangbang:

It isn't technically a speech impediment, but my vocabulary fails me when I need it most, and I can't even raise my voice convincingly.

Wow, there's a blast from the past!  But I've come a long way since then.  :thumbup:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »
Yes, pragmatic speech ability can be an impairment.

From the Wikipedia entry on pragmatic language impairment:  :orly:

"The current view, therefore, is that the disorder has more to do with communication and
   information processing than language.  For example, children with semantic pragmatic disorder
   will often fail to grasp the central meaning or saliency of events.  This then leads to an
   excessive preference for routine and "sameness" (seen in autism and Asperger's syndrome)
   as PLI children struggle to generalize and grasp the meaning of situations that are new;
   it also means that more difficulties occur in a stimulating environment than in a one-to-one setting."

BOOM.  I've realized for years that I have trouble at times generalizing, applying what I've learned
   from one situation to a similar new one.  I've recognized for years that I have (or used to have) trouble
   seeing the 'big picture" in the routine at work, so it took me a long time to learn the job.  The ADD
   meds have definitely made it easier for me, but still I find changes in routine unsettling.  :orly:

People forget.