Educational

Author Topic: Semicolon  (Read 875 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Semicolon
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »
Is there anything more to you than correcting people's typos and making endless comments on the long-dead Britain/Europe Vs America "debate"?

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: Semicolon
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Yes.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
Such as?

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »
My positions on various issues. I argue with members about issues that pertain to I2 and that deal with the real world (although there haven't been many of those in recent weeks). I also make posts on positive topics. Here is one example of a positive post; here is one example of an argument I was involved with. Neither thread involved correcting typos or anti-British jokes.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »
You posted this in the Peanut Gallery, but I thought that I should respond to it.

Anti-British stuff doesn't piss me off either, I'm sure I have posted things taking the piss out of the binge drinking or teenage pregnancies for example before myself

I just find it irritating that it's the same joke repeated over and over again

I don't think it's the same as when I did my fat american trolling (and yeah ebm I don't have a problem with Americans lol, my best friend online was american herself and I have family there). I did a load of trolling that was winding people up (whether they admit it or not) and sset off some drama imo. I then stopped when I felt it had got boring.

Semicolon brings it up randomly all over the place.

The one that "triggered" my callout was the stuff in the Eurovision thread as I just thought it was getting ridiculous - obviously Americans aren't gonne be interested in Eurovision... the clue is in the title: EUROvision :autism:

I just feel like this whole British/European vs America thing is long dead and boring now. If someone wanted to sttart up some original anti-British trolling for a while, fair game. But posting random america vs britain stuff in completely unrelated threads? So not hypocritical at all imo

I dunno, just seems to reak of resentment to me. I mean, I took the piss out of your country... get over it dude  :zoinks:

You claim that it's obvious that Americans won't be interested in European entertainment. Even ignoring the rest of Europe and focusing on Britain, it's clear that this isn't true. The most popular book series in America of the past decade was written by a Brit; Grand Theft Auto is popular in America; BBC shows like Dr. Who and Monty Python's Flying Circus are popular in America (even though they're broadcast by the British Broadcasting Corporation). During the 1960s, the British invasion swept through America, with famous bands like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. I could come up with more examples, but this point isn't really relevant.

You claim that you didn't post random anti-American comments in unrelated threads; I say that you did.

Nah, Hell is where everyone is american  :zoinks:

The guy singing that sounds like the product of an incestuous american sexual encounter between obese redknecks

I also remember when they did super fries, bigger than large fries, but then they stopped because of all the fat americans

just some friendly advice:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8655651.stm

She's actually a bit fat atm

I'm starting to think she might secretly be American

hey no one replied to my fucking cool grumpyass butterfly

you bastards

cool place parts
i like donuts sometimes
i'm never up at conventional breakfast time though
well, maybe by the time its breakfast in your country i'm up
donuts for breakfast is a very unhealthy american lifestyle though
it's like your bad headlthcare and fake "football" sports, it makes you look like a country of homos

that being said i had 6 packets of crisps today

Furthermore, you actually made what I see as an attack on the American people, above all the political arguments that you have posted.

That's true. GR isn't retarded in the same way that someone who doesn't know what norway is. He's just got fucked up views. The really dumb people like that here are the underclass of chavvy scumbags. Whereas plenty of "normal" americans are dumb as fuck and completele unaware of anything goign on outside of their own country

I don't recall having made a similar post seriously accusing the British of being dumb. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You have made several threads specifically for the purpose of taking the piss out of Americans. I haven't gone that far, except for one facetious callout I made months ago in response to your anti-American jokes.

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,16420.0.html
http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,16572.0.html
http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,16419.0.html

Or are you suggesting that all of my anti-American posts should be kept on one thread, to make it easier for you to ignore them?

Why must the American/British jokes stop when you decide to stop them? Apparently, you got tired and drew a line in the sand that no other members are allowed to cross. It is hypocritical; scrutinizing the detailed circumstances of my posts doesn't change the fact that you have made numerous anti-American posts, but you are intolerant when I make anti-British posts. I haven't even gone as far as you did; when you were joking, you spammed the forum with anti-American threads and political arguments against American policies.

In the end, this callout seems to be about you not thinking that my jokes are funny (and yes, they are jokes). It's not that I've offended you, or anyone else; you just think I should make wittier posts. I dislike some of the policies of the British government, but I'm not resentful of Britain. or of your earlier jokes or attacks. I just think that you're a hypocrite.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »
I don't think it's obvious americans wouldn't be interested in european entertainment, as I know there are plenty of examples otherwise. I think it's pretty obvious that a show like Eurovision isn't gonna be popular in the US though - not really the same kinda thing as Harry Potter or the Beatles.

All the examples of my anti-American stuff are irrelevant imo. That was during the time when I was trolling. You raen't though, right? I know you haven't been here long, but since you HAVE been here, you do it all the time

Maybe I should have given you the benefit of the doubt though, as you joined while my american stuff was going on and iit hasn't been too long since that

It's the way it goes on and on that I do get bored of, yes. I guess if you had been here for a couple years and it had only started recently then I'd get it. It just seems like you are resentful of my american trolling and won't give it up

Also I'm not intolerant of you making anti-british posts. I find the way it goes ON and ON boring.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
I don't think it's obvious americans wouldn't be interested in european entertainment, as I know there are plenty of examples otherwise. I think it's pretty obvious that a show like Eurovision isn't gonna be popular in the US though - not really the same kinda thing as Harry Potter or the Beatles.

All the examples of my anti-American stuff are irrelevant imo. That was during the time when I was trolling. You raen't though, right? I know you haven't been here long, but since you HAVE been here, you do it all the time

Maybe I should have given you the benefit of the doubt though, as you joined while my american stuff was going on and iit hasn't been too long since that

It's the way it goes on and on that I do get bored of, yes. I guess if you had been here for a couple years and it had only started recently then I'd get it. It just seems like you are resentful of my american trolling and won't give it up

Also I'm not intolerant of you making anti-british posts. I find the way it goes ON and ON boring.

So, because you made certain posts during your trolling period, those posts don't count as being anti-American? They certainly have anti-American content. Or are you saying that, because you were attacking other groups at the same time, you are excused from your actions against any one group? That just reinforces my earlier point about your line in the sand. You are allowed to have a trolling period where you make jokes about numerous other groups, but you are upset that I am making jokes about one particular group. Your argument doesn't make this callout any less hypocritical.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
I am not "upset" about you making jokes about British or European people. I just think it is getting tedious, the way you bring it into alsorts of random things

And I'm not saying my trolling was ok because it was directed against other people too. I'm saying it was different because it was trolling. Whereas you don't seem to be trolling, you seem resentful

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
I am not "upset" about you making jokes about British or European people. I just think it is getting tedious, the way you bring it into alsorts of random things

And I'm not saying my trolling was ok because it was directed against other people too. I'm saying it was different because it was trolling. Whereas you don't seem to be trolling, you seem resentful

You seem to have misunderstood my position. I made a long post responding to an argument you posted in the Peanut Gallery. I made several points in it; you chose to address two of them in your next post (the relevance of my examples and the popularity of British entertainment in America), and you brought up the issue of motivation. Some members seem to be construing my argument as an argument against your posts, not just this callout. It's not. Your hypocrisy is in calling me out over something that you do regularly. My argument was not meant to apply to your posts; this callout is about my posts. I am just exposing your hypocrisy in calling me out.

Your definition of trolling is taking a contentious viewpoint that you don't necessarily agree with to annoy people, correct? For your above argument, it would be acceptable to make jokes to annoy people, but not if I had a disagreement with a group I was poking fun at? You regularly joke about groups you seriously dislike, such as Christians and Muslims. As far as I know, there are no Muslims on I2. Who were you taking the piss out of with these posts?

When have I ever claimed all muslims are responsible for murdering muslims/terrorists/whatever?

I simply despise the religion and therefore think anyone who follows it is wrong

I know of muslims who are definitely not violent, so why would I have claimed they are responsible for the actions of other muslims?

Taking the piss or not taking the piss, you are most definitely highly prejudiced against Muslims :P

I would never deny that. I think Islam is a disgusting religion

You make jokes about groups you dislike. I, however, do not hate Brits. I am not resentful of Brits, or of you. You dislike American policies, and you make jokes about them to show your disagreement. You do resent Muslims, and you make jokes about them to show your distaste Then, you assign me the same motivation (even though it is incorrect), and call me out over the same thing. That is your hypocrisy.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »
I don't think I resent muslims. I strongly dislike Islam, yes. And I will admit I do have reservations about people if I find out they are religious (respecially islam or christianity), rightly or wrongly. I have had muslim friends though so don't dislike them all. I am wary about mentioning that, as I see a lot of homophobes use the "I'm not homophobic, I have gay friends" excuse. But I am not in any way denying my dislike of islam here. I don't dislike someone just because they are muslim though

I call you out more because I am finding it boring than because I see you as resentful. I do view it that way, yes. But that isn't the main reason it annoys me

Also I never said you were resentful of Brits... I was thinking you were resentful of my insulting your country and that was why you appeared to hold a grudge

I do it regularly, yes. I've addressed this quite a lot already in the peanut gallery thread and can't be arsed explaining it much again - there's nothign wrong with occasional banter or piss-taking imo. The way you do it just seems to go on and on in ways that I don't find funny

also can you explain this as I dunno what you mean:

For your above argument, it would be acceptable to make jokes to annoy people, but not if I had a disagreement with a group I was poking fun at?

I think I have addressed all your point there. Sorry I can't be arsed structuring my post well or anything tho

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 04:39:52 PM »
anyway I'm gonna go and read for a bit now

Sure I will be back later tonight tho as I need to pee soon :autism:

later, homies!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
anyway I'm gonna go and read for a bit now

Sure I will be back later tonight tho as I need to pee soon :autism:

later, homies!

See you when you get back!   :santa:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »
also can you explain this as I dunno what you mean:

For your above argument, it would be acceptable to make jokes to annoy people, but not if I had a disagreement with a group I was poking fun at?

I think I have addressed all your point there. Sorry I can't be arsed structuring my post well or anything tho

You seem to argue that it's acceptable to troll, but not to joke if you have a disagreement with the group you are joking about. In other words, it's acceptable to use humor to pointlessly annoy people, but not to score a point against a target group that the joker genuinely disliked? It seems wrong to limit inoffensive humor by motivation, especially when the discouraged motivation is legitimate social discussion.

I have nothing else to prove. The argument has turned into a critique of my sense of humor: you think I'm boring, and I disagree. You also see me as resentful, and I disagree (although this is secondary to your main point). I doubt that either of these will be solved by continued debate.