Author Topic: WTF company spies on customers  (Read 952 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: WTF company spies on customers
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 04:15:47 PM »
15 dollars a month? Try 200 dollars a month (for 24 months), for a laptop not worth more than 600 dollars. From Ripoff-A-Center.

As far as I am concerned, this is a victim-less crime. Anyone with half a fucking brain should know that rent-to-own deals are nothing but legal scams. In fact, I think these idiots full well deserve to have their privacy infringed like that because they have no common sense and don't deserve any dignity, let alone any refunds nor lawsuit settlements. Fuck them. And fuck all rent-to-own places.

Not to mention that Hulk Hogan is a piece of shit who should be burnt to death. Along with John Madden. :thumbdn:

This is the kind of thing I refer to in the other thread.  Just because he isn't trying to cum on little girls today doesn't make him "new & improved".

eris

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
yes it cost about 150$ a month for about a year for a laptop, and 200$ for a desktop. I worked at an Aarons for years.

I mean there is a 15$ a month charge "just because you are renting"
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:56:58 PM by eris »

Osensitive1

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
Seems strange someone would pay so much per month for a computer rather than saving that money for three or four months and buying one.

DukeNukem

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 06:04:34 AM »
15 dollars a month? Try 200 dollars a month (for 24 months), for a laptop not worth more than 600 dollars. From Ripoff-A-Center.

As far as I am concerned, this is a victim-less crime. Anyone with half a fucking brain should know that rent-to-own deals are nothing but legal scams. In fact, I think these idiots full well deserve to have their privacy infringed like that because they have no common sense and don't deserve any dignity, let alone any refunds nor lawsuit settlements. Fuck them. And fuck all rent-to-own places.

Not to mention that Hulk Hogan is a piece of shit who should be burnt to death. Along with John Madden. :thumbdn:

This is the kind of thing I refer to in the other thread.  Just because he isn't trying to cum on little girls today doesn't make him "new & improved".

Hulk Hogan and John Madden shilled fucking Rent-A-Center. If that's not enough to make you absolutely despise them, then you are either ignorant or stupid.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 06:10:39 AM »

Can't expect miracles overnight but it's a start
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

eris

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 06:11:06 AM »
Well, I think it's more that you said that poor, stupid people dont deserve dignity and should be spied on.

What if they like got dressed in front of their computer ? OR it was in their bedrooms and it was near where they have sex with their wife ?

I dont think anyone deserves that.

i guess I could be part of this whole mess too and shouldn't deserve anything because I used to work there and contributed to the problem, but the truth is I just worked there cause I needed to pay the rent, and some people rent computers cause they dont have 400$ at once.

It's sad what some people do to themselves, but its just sad, I dont feel spiteful towards them.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 06:12:16 AM »
Suit against PC renter raises privacy questions
PITTSBURGH – You didn't pay your bill. We need our computer back. And here's a picture of you typing away on it, the computer rental company told a client as it tried to repossess the machine.

Those allegations appear in a federal lawsuit alleging that the firm, Atlanta-based Aaron's Inc., loaded computers with spyware to track renters' keystrokes, make screenshots and even take webcam images of them using the devices at home. The suit filed by a Wyoming couple Tuesday raises anew questions of how invasive custodians of technology should be in protecting their equipment.

Computer privacy experts said Aaron's, a major furniture rental chain, has the right to equip its computers with software it can use to shut off the devices remotely if customers stop paying their bills, but they must be told if they're being monitored.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110504/ap_on_re_us/us_rental_computer_spyware

Hope nobody is using one of there machines here :zombiefuck:  This is just wrong how can they even remotely thing this was a good idea.

lol that's an Epic Fail right there. I mean talk about sinking your company down the toilet, because shit like that tends to become public.  :laugh:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

eris

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 06:46:32 AM »
^^ yes and this happened in Pittsburgh, where I am from. This could even be the store I worked in :S

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 06:52:03 AM »
^^ yes and this happened in Pittsburgh, where I am from. This could even be the store I worked in :S

Yes Pa home to another web cam scandal http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/fbi-joins-pennsylvania-webcam-school-spying-investigation/31004
The Pennsylvania school district accused of spying on students by remotely activating Webcams on district-issued laptop computers is now being investigated by the FBI, according to an Associated Press report. (Techmeme)
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

eris

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »
yes I remember seeing that on national news a few months ago

Something like a kid was eating jellybeans, but being a stupid teenager about it as acted like it was drugs, so they confronted him in school for using drugs and he was like WTF HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT

It was cause they were spying on his school laptop in his home.

Osensitive1

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
Here's a follow-up to the school scandal for those who like to know the 'then what' of these things.
http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/school-settles-lawsuits-over-secret-photos-610000

When it happens, follow-up to this story would be interesting to know too, parts.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »

I was about to ask why and then I decided that I did not care.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

eris

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 08:11:51 AM »
I dont see how spying on anyone like this could be legal

I mean, c'mon guys, everyone does a little "private time" in front of the computer, especially teenagers. Imaging all the CP that school would have

Its sickens me really. SOME people have access to that, like administration or whatever... pictures little kids getting naked and such ,even young girls getting ready for school !!!

Should be imprisonment !

Osensitive1

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 08:13:41 AM »
Yes, the FBI was too lenient, but the parents settled for shut up money.

eris

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 08:19:48 AM »
thanks for the links, jack

$610,000 is nothing really. they must have been poor people. They could have had an extra 0 onto that.

Fox News reports that the settlement calls for $175,000 to be placed in a trust for Robbins and $10,000 for Hassan. Their lawyer, Mark Haltzman, will get $425,000 for his work on the case.

:facepalm2:

im not even going to say it. you all feel the same way about that im sure
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:22:08 AM by eris »