Educational

Author Topic: The right to bear arms  (Read 19108 times)

driftingblizzard

Re: The right to bear arms
« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2007, 04:51:56 PM »
I am not making this up folks. I couldn't if I tried....  Quoted from MyDeathSpace.com...
Nice way to wrap up a thread though, should settle things.....

Christopher R. Schmidt, who served more than two years in federal prison for possessing stolen guns, used barstools to beat his friend to death .

Oh, my goodness! Why aren't bar stools licensed or banned? They're deadly weapons! (Yes, it's irony, I paraphrase the anti-gunners, the "reasoning" is in its logical form exactly the same).

Need I point out that barstools have other uses as well, but most firearms don't?
yes, if you were to turn a barstool upside down then you can fit 4 gay men into a crowded bar.

However, you may have some trouble getting them to leave  :police:

Scrapheap

« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2007, 09:07:27 PM »

If they do, it shows that we don't want to ease up on the restrictions, because it would become easier for criminals to get hold of firearms.

Restrictions don't make it harder for criminals to get guns, it just creates a black market. Here in the U.S., we can't keep 11 million Mexicans out of our country. How could we stop 11 million guns from coming across the border??

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #332 on: January 08, 2007, 02:31:02 AM »

If they do, it shows that we don't want to ease up on the restrictions, because it would become easier for criminals to get hold of firearms.

Restrictions don't make it harder for criminals to get guns, it just creates a black market. Here in the U.S., we can't keep 11 million Mexicans out of our country. How could we stop 11 million guns from coming across the border??

I think I can safely say that "fewer restrictions" means "easier access" in this context. Even a black market does make it harder. The question is how much harder.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #333 on: January 08, 2007, 05:47:33 AM »
I think I can safely say that "fewer restrictions" means "easier access" in this context. Even a black market does make it harder. The question is how much harder.

I live on the countryside and I know a couple of really "amateur" criminals who got hold of machineguns and 9 mm pistols very easily. They weren't exactly tops in the mafia, so to speak. And that nanny Sara Svensson in Knutby also got hold of a gun, and she wasn't the most brilliant and experienced criminal, was she?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #334 on: January 08, 2007, 06:34:40 AM »
We should probably tighten things up in Sweden, then.  :eyebrows:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #335 on: January 08, 2007, 06:44:52 AM »
<Irony mood> Oh, yes, tighten the laws! Ban everything! Swedish style. We do know best, don't we? After all, we are Swedes, so how couldn't we? </Irony mood>

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #336 on: January 08, 2007, 06:49:05 AM »
I was born in Finland, so I know best even better than you guys.  :eyebrows:

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #337 on: January 08, 2007, 07:23:12 AM »
I was born in Finland, so I know best even better than you guys.  :eyebrows:

If I'm not very mistaken, the Finns haven't got that harsh gun laws as Sweden, though they're stricter than in most parts of the US, of course.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »
I think Finland's gun laws are pretty much the same but I really don't know.

I remember that when I was a kid, my father kept his army pistol at home. Illegally, I suspect (it's too late to ask him now; he passed away a few years ago). And my older brother very nearly managed to shoot and kill my younger sister. The bullet went right past her and, as far as I know, is still in that wall somewhere. I don't know how my brother got hold of the weapon; I know it was locked away, and I didn't know exactly where, either.

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #339 on: January 08, 2007, 09:11:07 AM »
I think Finland's gun laws are pretty much the same but I really don't know.

I remember that when I was a kid, my father kept his army pistol at home. Illegally, I suspect (it's too late to ask him now; he passed away a few years ago). And my older brother very nearly managed to shoot and kill my younger sister. The bullet went right past her and, as far as I know, is still in that wall somewhere. I don't know how my brother got hold of the weapon; I know it was locked away, and I didn't know exactly where, either.
this story is actually quite telling about your views on gun laws.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #340 on: January 08, 2007, 09:15:03 AM »
I was thinking the same. Of course I'm glad that odeon's sister didn't get killed, but it kind of explains his attitude. My grandmother hates firecrackers, but that would possibly be since she burnt her fingers severely on them when she was young.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #341 on: January 08, 2007, 09:17:44 AM »
I was thinking the same. Of course I'm glad that odeon's sister didn't get killed, but it kind of explains his attitude. My grandmother hates firecrackers, but that would possibly be since she burnt her fingers severely on them when she was young.

my mom hates liars, probably because she is the queen of lying.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #342 on: January 08, 2007, 09:21:47 AM »
Anyway, if people would be more familiar with guns, such accidents wouldn't appear that frequently. 200 years ago, 10 year old kids were more familiar with the proper use of guns than most adults are today, even in Scandinavia. This anti-gun-hysteria is less than 70 years old or so, even in Europe.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2007, 09:26:20 AM »
Thing is, I don't want to live in a world where ten-year-olds are familiar with guns.

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2007, 09:32:36 AM »
In Montana there is no age-limit on the purchase of guns(!)A 10 year old could theoretically buy a gun legally in a gun store there. A 14 year old is allowed to use a gun without adult supervision. At least that was the case last time I checked NRAs homepage. I can agree that even 14 might be a little to young, but a 16 or 18 year old would be allowed to, if they're mentally stable. They're allowed to drive cars.