Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 82965 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #3675 on: November 19, 2017, 11:35:38 PM »
My sympathies.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3676 on: November 20, 2017, 05:02:56 AM »
  I've been awake since sometime after 3 a.m., dammit!  :tard:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #3677 on: November 20, 2017, 08:47:40 AM »
Not the only one. Last night was hell.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Online Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3678 on: November 20, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
Squirrels seem to be everywhere around here today
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3679 on: November 21, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »
I saw car in front of me on the train tracks while stuck in traffic so I left room for that car to back up for in case the train comes.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3680 on: November 21, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »
There was an accident on the main road, not far from here. I bet they drove on summer tyres.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3681 on: November 21, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »
I have all season tires which the guy at the dealership insisted were good enough, but I'm not convinced.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3682 on: November 21, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
My old man just helped come up with a perfect solution to a pesky little problem that has been bedeviling me for some time.

In the meantime before I decide on the (and find a good deal on ebay for) right replacement powered vacuum pump for high vacuum, I've a venturi pump of lesser power but still rather vital for me, for when I need not the full force of a high powered vac pump, and as a backup that cannot break down, because it has no moving parts, and is powered by the venturi effect, a water aspirator type that uses high pressure water flow to pull a vacuum.

Problem is, the attachment port for water inflow is JUST too much on the wide side for the water hose that supplies the flow to pull the vacuum, so he suggested (my old man) that I soften the tubing with hot water.

So I did, and at the same  time as I immersed the tubing end in boiling water, I had the idea to force the glass to contract by running it under cold water, and the combination of his idea and my adaptation in the use of cooling the glass to shrink it momentarily, giving a tight seal when the two regained thermal equilibrium  worked a treat. Got some hose stuck on nice and tight now; just as well, because I've a reaction mixture to perform a distillation on, and it has a compound in there that is modestly sensitive to oxidation in air, and the reaction doesn't need to be heated excessively. And both the liquid portions (it needs also to be free'd from some methanol for my product to crystallize), I'll be wanting to recycle the two reagents used, any that haven't reacted since both are valuable and rather watched and hard to get. One of them very watched and very difficult to obtain safely, so as I can't simply heat the mixture, and distill off the methanol then the....other two components of the reaction...I'll distill it under vacuum, leaving my product behind in the pot and then be able to strip the methanol out by vac distillation at room temperature, and if needs be, finish off the reaction with some MW irradiation.

Although thanks to a bit of overheating, accidentally on a portion of my reaction mixture, I'll need to perform a recrystallization from boiling hot isopropyl alcohol and freeze out the product in fractions, and subsequent vacuum-filtration at each stage to purify it. A bit of a setback, but shouldn't be anything I can't fix.

And at the very least, I'll have to recover a certain nitro-compound, of a rather expensive and difficult to get nature (no, not a nitro-explosive, it isn't explosive at all, not that kind of nitro compound, but its still watched whenever the chance for big brother's evil eye to spy on transactions involving it occur. Thankfully mine is clean, not that I'm up to no good with it. ) So I'm definitely not going to let any of it go to waste, and recycle every last drop possible, after removing the rxn liquors from my project and recrystallizing the solids left behind, which will be where my desired product is.

So my old man really came up with a good one there, and I a bit of improvement in the use of the cooling water bath for the vac aspirator and shrinking it. So a combination of vacuum distillation and shock-freezing out my product ought to come through for me just nice.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3683 on: November 22, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »
I have all season tires which the guy at the dealership insisted were good enough, but I'm not convinced.

Depends on the kind of winters you get, I guess. I wouldn't use them because I wouldn't trust the rubber to behave predictably for any significant temperature span. You'd either have subpar handling during the summer or dangerous tyres during the winter.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3684 on: November 22, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
The nasty kind.

Such a pain to have to replace them twice a year, but it may be worth the tradeoff. I just know me and don't trust myself to get them changed on time. Don't have an established relationship with a garage here, same at the previous place. Last spring it totally fell off the radar and I ended up driving on winter tires throughout the summer (different, older car that is replaced now, so I doubt the same tires would fit).

Online Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3685 on: November 23, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
The nasty kind.

Such a pain to have to replace them twice a year, but it may be worth the tradeoff. I just know me and don't trust myself to get them changed on time. Don't have an established relationship with a garage here, same at the previous place. Last spring it totally fell off the radar and I ended up driving on winter tires throughout the summer (different, older car that is replaced now, so I doubt the same tires would fit).

Just got two new snow tires on the back on the van,  they don't have studs so I will probably drive them all year  they will wear out faster in the summer but the van has almost 200,000 miles on it now so they will most likely last the rest of it's life
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3686 on: November 23, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
The truck doesn't see much snow anymore.

It's reached the Twinkie stage (it's so well preserved let's see how long it keeps.)

I don't go out much anyways.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3687 on: November 23, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
The nasty kind.

It is a pain but worth it.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3688 on: December 03, 2017, 09:08:57 PM »
It was the porter at the hotel's first day on the job. I didn't complain that he went the wrong direction for the elevators, and he didn't complain that all I had was Canadian change.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3689 on: December 04, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »
Just installing a cracked DL of civilization 3.

Raxy...you didn't complain? thats nice of you, since it is of course considered good grace not to speak whilst your mouth is full :D

Twinky stage...lol. From what I've read, those things don't so much have a sell-by date but a half life, with isotopic decay governing when they go 'off'