Author Topic: Medical Assisted Suicide??  (Read 2908 times)

Osensitive1

Re: Medical Assisted Suicide??
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »
Having suicide attempts illegal makes no sense to me at all.
I think it makes sense because the suicidal are very likely to need mental health care and that's where they go.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
Whilst it might not be 'illegal'  now,  it was once - and it carried the death penalty  :lol:  it is still a death that would require a police callout,  and cause of death would
be determined by a post mortem,  certain insurance companies won't pay out meaning you could be saddling relatives with your funeral costs as well as them having to attend an inquest.  You also have to be very meticulous about not involving anyone in your plans for it is illegal to assist and carries a long prison sentence.

I know this is gonna sound harsh and i will probably get some stick for saying it  -  but i feel we spend a lot of money keeping people alive - young or old -  and i would rather channel those resources to people who actually want to live - yes i mean young and old too.  I find it frustrating to read about remarkable individuals who battle to stay alive, against all odds,  fighting cancer and overcoming awful injuries while some people just don't want to live anymore.

That's true about the insurance.  My cousin's hospital stay following her suicide attempt was not covered by her health insurance even though she was a minor.  So my aunt and uncle had to pay the entire cost themselves in monthly payments.
That is awful. When I was in hospital for nearly four months, I didn't have to pay anything. Plus last year I was in hospital twice. If I had to pay for all that I would probably be broke for the rest of my life. Which probably wouldn't be very long :P

I voted for the first option, though I have nothing intelligent to say about it because it is all personal.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2011, 11:46:49 PM »
I prefer America in 1850 or so.  :viking:

Were you here back then? My great-grandmother  :prude:  would have been a year-old baby. 
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

TheoK

« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2011, 03:05:58 AM »

Were you here back then? My great-grandmother  :prude:  would have been a year-old baby. 

No, but you had a lot of guns already then, and the American government wasn't like it is today.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »
I'm glad I don't live in 1850

TheoK

« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
Depends. If you were really poor it'd been hell.

P7PSP

« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »

No, but you had a lot of guns already then, and the American government wasn't like it is today.
Back then guns typically cost a couple of months wages.

TheoK

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2011, 01:13:36 AM »

Back then guns typically cost a couple of months wages.

I know. But still. No giant government putting its nose into everything.