Author Topic: Medical Assisted Suicide??  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Medical Assisted Suicide??
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »
Um, I think I have a right to complain if I have to endure a prolonged attack.

Executing bullies would make life easier too, doesn't mean Ican't complain if I'm treated like shit, just because I don't advocate murder.

It's about weighing up the likeliness of something happening, as well as the pros and cons of guns lege

TheoK

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »
If you say that it's right that the state makes you helpless, you don't deserve pity if you can't defend yourself, IMHO.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
Don't pity me then, that's fine with me

There are other means of denfending yourself

OK they might not be as lethal and not always as effective, but like I said, the costs of legalising guns IN MY COUNTRY far outweigh the benefits imo, so I would rather take my chance on bashing an intruder over the head and calling the cops

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
can't believe I am having this FUCKING conversation again

TheoK

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 11:18:29 AM »
Actually, there were less crimes in the UK (and in Sweden too) back when you could buy a gun as easily as in the US. Anti-gun propaganda seems to work like a lobotomy on people who believe in it.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »

Do you think we should be allowed to make the decision of when we die,  regardless of our state of health?

I don't know.  I like the idea of being able to choose for oneself to end one's suffering.  However, in some cases, people use suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary problem, if that makes any sense.

I just read about an 18 year old who killed herself with an overdose because she was depressed about her boyfriend and about being in debt.

My cousin tried to kill herself when she was 15 because she was raped and the rapist and his friends tormented her at school over it.  One of the tormentors my cousin thought was her friend actually slipped a a date rape drug into her Coca Cola and watched and did nothing to help as the young man raped her.  Thank goodness she wasn't successful in ending her life.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
What I care about most is protecting myself and my immediate family. That means the gun crime in my area. Guns crime is unheard of where I live. I don't wanna bring guns into my townn, regardless of what other people say about gun crime historically or across the world

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »

Do you think we should be allowed to make the decision of when we die,  regardless of our state of health?

I don't know.  I like the idea of being able to choose for oneself to end one's suffering.  However, in some cases, people use suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary problem, if that makes any sense.

I just read about an 18 year old who killed herself with an overdose because she was depressed about her boyfriend and about being in debt.

My cousin tried to kill herself when she was 15 because she was raped and the rapist and his friends tormented her at school over it.  One of the tormentors my cousin thought was her friend actually slipped a a date rape drug into her Coca Cola and watched and did nothing to help as the young man raped her.  Thank goodness she wasn't successful in ending her life.

But just because a lot of young people kill themselves when life would have got better doesn't mean that people shouldn't be able to at all. If i want to end my life, however much suffering I am experiencing and however small that suffering is judged by others, that should be my right 100%

TheoK

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
Never a gun crime in a city as big as Manchester? Marvellous.  ::)

Binty

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
I think we should have the right to end our life when we see fit.

I hate the saying "permanent solution to a temporary problem".  The girl who was raped, her problem isn't temporary.  She's gonna have to live with the trauma of the rape for the rest of her life.

The girl in debt and with boyfriend issues, that doesn't sound temporary either especially if she has no means at all to pay off the debt.

It's dismissive to say that someone's problems are only temporary.  Sometimes that may well be the case but a lot of the time, it isn't.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »
I wasn't talking about manchester ::)

TheoK

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
The last murder in my parish was about 1750, but in town it's a couple of murders every year, and it's a small town with 35000 people.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »
I have no doubt that people who are terminally ill should be given help to end it if that is what they want to do. The fact that this is illegal is one of my pet peeves.

I'm not so sure that people who choose to end there life for other reasons should be given that same help though. I'm kinda on the fence with this issue.
I would probably say no, simply because if someone able-bodied does choose to kill themselves, it can be so easily done. I'm not sure that we need Dignitas style clinics to achieve this.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »
I kinda agree, but how painless is it at the Dignitas clinics?

Binty

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »
This article has a lot of information about Dignitas clinics:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/18/assisted-suicide-dignitas-house