Author Topic: Medical Assisted Suicide??  (Read 2906 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Medical Assisted Suicide??
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:14:32 AM »
Here in the UK medically assisted suicide is unlawful.  Even for those terminally ill, or in great pain.  Therefore we give a lot of our business to the
Dignitas Clinic in Switzerland -  where it is quite lawful to do this.   Recently a few stories in the press have popped up about the growing numbers
of people using this service when they are quite healthy and not terminally ill.  I have read that 1 in 5 users of this service are not in fact ill,  but just
have chosen the time to end it all?

Do you think we should be allowed to make the decision of when we die,  regardless of our state of health?
blah blah blah

TheoK

Re: Medical Assisted Suicide??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:50:11 AM »
Yes, of course. That's one of the things that are 100% clear to me. You have an absolute right to make decisions concerning your own body, including, of course, when it should die.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:03 AM »
Right to die is even more important than right to live

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
This is one case where America is better than the UK. In America, if you want to die, you can buy a gun and shoot yourself. In Britain, you have to ask government permission before wiping your nose. :headbang:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:34:20 AM »
Or you can buy a gun and shoot someone else, whether they like it or not ;)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:39:23 AM »
This is one case where America is better than the UK. In America, if you want to die, you can buy a gun and shoot yourself. In Britain, you have to ask government permission before wiping your nose. :headbang:

Eh, the tube in the car connected to it's exhaust is a excellent choice if you can't get a gun.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:41:38 AM »

Eh, the tube in the car connected to it's exhaust is a excellent choice if you can't get a gun.

And American cars are gas-guzzling behemoths that emit chemicals that European cars can only dream about. America is still better.  :2thumbsup:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

TheoK

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 08:13:15 AM »
Or you can buy a gun and shoot someone else, whether they like it or not ;)

Yes, much better that just the state and the criminals (a kind of tautology) have guns. Just look at Libya.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »
FFS, not this shit again...

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:18:20 AM »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 08:24:38 AM »
FFS, not this shit again...

Yes, because you simply don't get it. My grandmother was 9 the last time the military killed 5 totally innocent protesters in Sweden. The pieces of shit were freed in court for it. The only military punished was a trumpeter blowing "ceasefire"(!)

The people should be able to give the authorities what they deserve when they murder innocent people. Authorities abusing their power should simply pay with their blood for it.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:43 AM »
No YOU are the one who dosen't get it

The chances of me being killed by another citizen far outweigh the chances of me being killed by a policeman or soldier

If I lived in a place like Libya then no shit, my views on how I want my country to be run would be different, because I would BE - IN - A - DIFFERENT - COUNTRY

and your grandmother was 9? When was that then? 2003? didn't think so

TheoK

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
1931, 80 years ago. That's a short period in a historical view.

But how come that you could be shot by another citizen? What's the point with gun laws then? That's just the thing that gun laws supposedly should prevent.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
YOu'll never be able to prevent every single shot fired in anger, obviously

The people who do have guns here though aren't the kinda people I associate with

And before you say they might break into my house, yes they might, but that isn't gonna be lessened by legalising guns either, is it?

The gun crime here is mostly gang-related, and as I'm not a drug dealer or living in Moss Side, I don't give a shit to be honest (selfish, yes)

If my neighbours all had guns though, it would be much more likely I would be a victim of gun crime as guns would be properly brought to my neighbourhood

TheoK

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »
Good. Never ever complain, if you become a crime victim due to a situation that a gun could have saved you from.