Author Topic: When I saw this I thought of you.  (Read 23308 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: When I saw this I thought of you.
« Reply #600 on: September 11, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »
Now you made me nervous. What if I can't think of anything to say?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #601 on: September 11, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
Then I think you may be an asspie :P
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #602 on: September 11, 2015, 12:48:07 PM »
I'm an excellent driver.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #603 on: September 14, 2015, 08:31:57 AM »

odeon

I went to this guys house to look at some work I am bidding for his son and he had this car in the garage.   :green:  His son bought some house that was owned by some big wig at the UN it has 7 or 8 bedrooms and 9.5 bathrooms :zombiefuck:  It's a whole different world down in that part of the state :-\

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #604 on: September 14, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »
I love that car. +

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #605 on: September 14, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
I love that car. +

My father had a blue one just like it with a 440 V8.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #606 on: September 14, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
When I was a kid I wanted a station wagon so badly.  Finally got a Toyota Matrix, sort of a wimp's station wagon.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #607 on: September 15, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
Toyota used to be a wimp's car, period.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #608 on: January 15, 2016, 04:44:19 PM »
I thought of CBC when I saw this one

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #609 on: January 15, 2016, 06:13:13 PM »

That's just plain cruel. :mwhaha:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #610 on: January 15, 2016, 06:46:41 PM »
Toyota used to be a wimp's car, period.

Used to be?  Really? Toy-cars are just that.

I have given them (those little shitty foreign cars) a try three times and to sum up, I will NEVER ever own another little piece of shit, ridiculous foreign car.

Call me nationalist all you want but I have worked hard to "earn" the privileged of driving a decadent HUGE American SUV. I will never drive another car. I am King of the road.

But, seriously, I have owned a Honda Prelude, Toyota Celica, a Nissan (sorry do not remember the model but it was horrible to drive - same as all the others, much like driving a roller skate with pogo sticks for suspension, bouncy, boxy ride,  AND the damn thing would not start in cold weather.)

My co-worker (supposed to be my savior, keeping me from having to stress out over the increased workload over the holiday season - well that shit is over and she still can not show up for work.)has not been able to get her car (she tries to drive a fucking Suburu, FFS!) going Eight times now in six weeks of work (this, so far . has been an extremely mild winter, mind you.)

I will stay with my Escalade and my son's Traverse (which he has not yet had the courage to try to drive, BTW, since last February when we bought it for him), both cars are substantially sized, driver's seat sits one above the other traffic allowing an increased field of view while driving, four wheel drive is another bonus.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:48:46 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #611 on: January 16, 2016, 04:36:15 AM »
I don't like Toyotas in general, but there are a few Japanese cars I like. Not enough to consider selling my Jag, but still.

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #612 on: January 18, 2016, 07:01:27 AM »
When I was a kid I wanted a station wagon so badly.  Finally got a Toyota Matrix, sort of a wimp's station wagon.

Me too!  I think partly because we were a fairly small, isolated family.  I wanted us to be
   somehow louder and rowdier, maybe even a bit more social, more like the Brady Bunch.  :autism:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #613 on: January 18, 2016, 07:12:47 AM »

That is one hoarded house!  It's about to fall down!  :O_o:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #614 on: February 16, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
Saw this and thought of CBC. It made me a bit sad.
By Dennis Thompson HealthDay February 15, 2016, 1:53 PM
Popular heartburn drugs linked to risk of dementia

Prilosec, Nexium and Prevacid are part of a class of heartburn drugs called proton pump inhibitors.
CBS News

Comment 9.3K Shares Tweet Stumble Email

A popular class of heartburn medications might raise a senior's risk of dementia, a new study suggests.

Called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), this group of drugs includes Prilosec, Nexium and Prevacid. They work by lowering the amount of acid produced by the stomach.

But German researchers found that people 75 or older who regularly take the medications had a 44 percent increased risk of dementia, compared with seniors not using the drugs. The study only found an association, however, and not a cause-and-effect link.

"To evaluate cause-and-effect relationships between long-term PPI use and possible effects on cognition in the elderly, randomized, prospective clinical trials are needed," said corresponding author Britta Haenisch, from the German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases in Bonn.

In the meantime, "Clinicians should follow guidelines for PPI prescription, to avoid overprescribing PPIs and inappropriate use," Haenisch said.

The report was published Feb. 15 in the journal JAMA Neurology.

The results are surprising enough that at least one leading expert on aging, Dr. Malaz Boustani, plans to share the findings with older patients who are using PPIs.

Boustani said earlier studies have linked another type of antacid, H2 blockers, with an increased risk of dementia. Up to now, he's recommended that patients use PPIs to treat acid reflux and steer clear of H2 blockers like Tagamet, Pepcid and Zantac.

Worried about Alzheimer's? Ways to reduce your risk

"I'm going to disclose the finding to my patients and then let them decide whether they will take the risk or not," said Boustani, a professor of medicine with the Indiana University Center for Aging Research and a spokesman for the American Federation for Aging Research. "On Monday I have clinic, and if I have patients taking a PPI or an H2 blocker I will tell them exactly what I'm telling you, and then they can decide."

More than 15 million Americans used prescription PPIs in 2013, at a total cost of more than $10 billion, according to a report by the IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics. Several popular PPIs -- Prilosec, Prevacid and Zegerid -- also are available over-the counter, further boosting their use.

Concern has been increasing that Americans might be overusing PPIs to treat minor cases of heartburn or acid reflux.

As many as 70 percent of PPI prescriptions in the United States have been inappropriately handed out by doctors, and 25 percent of long-term users could stop taking the medication without suffering increased heartburn or acid reflux, according to a study published in January in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine.

Overuse of PPIs could have drastic effects on health, that study found. For example, the medications have been linked to a 20 percent to 50 percent higher risk of chronic kidney disease.

And now the German researchers report there also is some evidence that PPI use might affect a person's ability to reason.

PPIs appear to effect levels of amyloid beta and tau, which are proteins associated with Alzheimer's disease, the German authors said. PPI use can also lead to vitamin B12 deficiency, which has been associated with cognitive decline.

To test the possible association between PPIs and dementia, the German researchers collected data from a large German health insurance firm on almost 74,000 seniors aged 75 or older. The data ran from 2004 to 2011, and included diagnoses and drug prescriptions.

About 2,950 patients regularly used PPIs, which for this study was defined as at least one PPI prescription in each quarter of an 18-month interval.

Regular users of PPIs had a 44 percent increased risk of dementia compared with those not receiving PPI medications.

However, the study doesn't make clear whether PPIs are also available over the counter in Germany, as they are in the United States, said Dr. Arun Swaminath, director of the inflammatory bowel disease program at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.

If over-the-counter PPIs are available, then more people might have been taking them and the dementia risk described in this paper could be overestimated, Swaminath said.

"However, I think the point here is that for some patients, weaning off PPIs is reasonable and they should make this decision with their doctors," he said.

People who want to ease off PPIs can take a number of steps to reduce excess acid or prevent acid reflux, Boustani said. They can eat smaller meals, lay off chocolate and caffeine, and stay upright for a few hours following each meal.

Boustani added that his group has received federal funding to design clinical trials in which people would be weaned off PPIs, to see how it affects their ability to remember and think.

Dr. Gisele Wolf-Klein, director of geriatric education at North Shore-LIJ Health System in New Hyde Park, N.Y., added that even the researchers aren't sure why PPIs would affect the aging brain.

"We don't know what is causing the brain to deteriorate. Until we know this, there's no reason for people who are taking PPIs to be too concerned about that and stop taking those agents if they are needed," Wolf-Klein said.

Another expert agreed.

While the study is intriguing, it's not enough for doctors to warn patients off PPI use, said Keith Fargo, director of scientific programs and outreach for the Alzheimer's Association.

"It does not tell us anything that should change medical practice right now," Fargo said. "I don't think there's going to be an uprising among doctors telling patients not to take their PPIs. This doesn't rise anywhere near the level of evidence you would need for that."

One of the paper's main flaws is that researchers could not control for diet and body weight as risk factors, Fargo said.

"Both of those things, we know, are risk factors for developing cognitive decline and dementia in later life, and both of those are reasons why a person might need to take a proton pump inhibitor," Fargo explained.

Lit is taking them too, I think.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!