Educational

Author Topic: Couldbecousin will answer all, without fear or favor.  (Read 26744 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Couldbecousin will answer all, without fear or favor.
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »
Some warn against it, as it's an offical diagnosis of mental disorder. Sometimes check out the AFF blog since the blue one shared it. They have a warning entry that deserves consideration. http://aspiesforfreedom.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/undiagnosed-members-please-read/
I never saw that before. I did make it clear to the psychiatrist that I got a dx from that I wanted it kept between me and her and she agreed. I could have gone through my insurance and saved some money but members of my Union are trustees of our health coverage and private info has a way of being compromised*. I have friends in the local who would back me anyway but the hen party nature of my local union could put me at risk of losing jobs. I paid my shrink out of pocket to avoid any crap like the AFF warning alludes to.

*I am ones of 20 million vets who had our confidential data from military records compromised by an asswipe taking a laptop home. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196492,00.html
hate to say this, private or not, it can be found. If your doc wrote anything down about it. I paid out of pocket for mine also.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:13:56 PM by skyblue1 »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »
Some warn against it, as it's an offical diagnosis of mental disorder. Sometimes check out the AFF blog since the blue one shared it. They have a warning entry that deserves consideration. http://aspiesforfreedom.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/undiagnosed-members-please-read/
I never saw that before. I did make it clear to the psychiatrist that I got a dx from that I wanted it kept between me and her and she agreed. I could have gone through my insurance and saved some money but members of my Union are trustees of our health coverage and private info has a way of being compromised*. I have friends in the local who would back me anyway but the hen party nature of my local union could put me at risk of losing jobs. I paid my shrink out of pocket to avoid any crap like the AFF warning alludes to.

*I am ones of 20 million vets who had our confidential data from military records compromised by an asswipe taking a laptop home. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196492,00.html

My understanding was that the US military would no longer allow someone with AS to enlist.  Is this true?

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 07:16:31 PM »

My understanding was that the US military would no longer allow someone with AS to enlist.  Is this true?
It is not said implicitly that they will not take an Autist. But someone posted the new guidelines somewhere recently. It didnt say us, but the description sure looked like us.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »

It is not said implicitly that they will not take an Autist. But someone posted the new guidelines somewhere recently. It didnt say us, but the description sure looked like us.

I hope you're not criticizing the American Military :laugh:

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »

course not. everyone in my family served. my brother even served in prison.  :thumbup:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »

course not. everyone in my family served. my brother even served in prison.  :thumbup:

Oh right, that makes sense. I wondered why you were so butthurt at the slightest percieved criticism of the American Military.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 09:06:47 PM »
if you call being pissed at you "butthurt" than whatever. But whatever you do dont say anything bad about the American Prison system :evillaugh:

The American people did not want to fight in either one of your fucking wars. 2 False flag operations ( Lusitania,and Pearl Harbor) were foisted on the american people to piss us off enough to fight. Do not downplay the deaths of our military.

If you do.....Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

Pissed, maybe. But looks more like epic butthurt to me :LOL:

P7PSP

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »

I don't have a hard and fast answer mla. My active service was from September 1977 to September 1981 and AS was not in the DSM at that time. I am pretty certain without looking it up that anyone taking meds for ADD, depression or other co morbid conditions can't get in. I know that some of the people I have met at M.I.N.D. Institute meetings couldn't cut it for reasons including excessive stiming, being way to inhibited etc. Others probably could, the last meeting I went to in February I met an 18 year old black kid who's level of function was probably where mine was at that age. It was interesting talking to him during an exercise.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 09:42:18 PM »

Speaking as the leader of quite a few regiments, I can see some reasons why the military might not be a good fit for some autistics. 

The barracks and lack of privacy
The need to obey orders (no matter how illogical) without question
The need to build some strong ties within the men and the knowledge that you can rely on your fellow soldier
The pressures of war
I'm sure some veterans can shed more light on this subject

(How I'm doing cbc?  Taking the heat off you pretty good, huh?)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

P7PSP

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »

Speaking as the leader of quite a few regiments, I can see some reasons why the military might not be a good fit for some autistics. 

The need to build some strong ties within the men and the knowledge that you can rely on your fellow soldier
The pressures of war

I suspect it is not a good fit for most of the higher functioning people on the spectrum. Why do you want to take the heat off of cbc? This thread was started with the intent of exposing her questionable activities.  :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »

The pressures of war

Indeed you are, Your Majesty! Carry on!   :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »
A lady-in-waiting to the Queen has no questionable activities or anything else that should be exposed.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »

The pressures of war

I suspect it is not a good fit for most of the higher functioning people on the spectrum. Why do you want to take the heat off of cbc? This thread was started with the intent of exposing her questionable activities.  :zoinks:

What questionable activities? My job at the retirement home? My quiet evenings alone? Whatever can you be talking about?  :harp:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
I think he's referring to the tips you get from the male residents for your special services in giving them their just desserts.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »
I think he's referring to the tips you get from the male residents for your special services in giving them their just desserts.

I never was the friendliest waitress, back in the days when I worked in the dining room, but I did get the food out there FAST!  :laugh:

People forget.