Educational

Author Topic: Why is the religion question optional on census forums but  (Read 627 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Why is the religion question optional on census forums but
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »
but none of the other questions are?

eris

Re: Why is the religion question optional on census forums but
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »
I was on the 1980 census and I wasnt born yet. My momma was still pregnant.

I wonder if that means I dont exist ?

Osensitive1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
That sounds like a spark for fetus = or ≠ person debate.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »
That sounds like a spark for fetus = or ≠ person debate.

It sounds like the spark for a Discordianism = or ≠ reality debate.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »
Sounds like a question that is only relevant in the OPs country.

P7PSP

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »
I answered number of occupants since the Constitution requires it in Article 1 Section 2. All the rest of that nosey shit I ignored.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:25:30 AM »
I answered number of occupants since the Constitution requires it in Article 1 Section 2. All the rest of that nosey shit I ignored.

You're lucky you didn't get the long form, in that case.

P7PSP

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:05 AM »

The one I got was bad enough. I didn't answer in 1980 because I was stationed overseas. I didn't answer in 1990 or 2000 because I just din't feel like it.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:39:30 AM »

The one I got was bad enough. I didn't answer in 1980 because I was stationed overseas. I didn't answer in 1990 or 2000 because I just din't feel like it.

So now you pop up after 30 years of non-existence! The government must be very confused.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 06:33:02 AM »
  I keep getting city census forms in the mail, and I always forget to send them in. 
   They threaten me that if I fail to answer, I may be disqualified from voting. 
   Hasn't happened yet.  They wouldn't dare.   :fuckyeahdance:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:34:35 AM by couldbecousin »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 11:28:51 AM »
     They threaten me that if I fail to answer, I may be disqualified from voting. 

Voting doesn't matter anyways. If you want your voice to be heard in the world of politics, donate at least $10k to whatever politician you want to influence.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
I can only recall getting a census form once, here in the UK.

I just tore it up and consigned it to where it belonged, in the trash. Like hell am I obliged to complete it and send it in to the govt.
If thats a problem for them, boo hoo, pass me the tissues, and a towel too, to mop up that spreading red patch on the floor, from where my heart has been so very  busy bleeding.
I hate filling in forms, absolutely hate it. If there is something in it for me, then I'll do it if I really must, but otherwise any forms, censuses, surveys, they just end up in the bin, or with caustic or acid tipped on them before going down the dunny.

Although I had to get it sorted out, benefit payment application forms must be some of the worst. Those really are the pits, they are long, intrusive, irritating and frustrating to have to do, and generally manage by virtue of just existing, to piss me off. The last one was huge, and so complicated I had to get citizens advice in to help me get back a wrongfully cut off income and to get a back payment for the  months and months that I'd had to go without. The lass that helped, seems really nice. Meeting her tomorrow actually. She was such a help, even with the actual physical filling in of the forms, she helped (tried) explain the questions, everything, and got me over five grand in back-owed loot.

Isn't disenfranchisement of voters illegal under the US constitution? It wouldn't surprise me considering that former slaves demanded the vote after the abolition and persecution of slavery in the US.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 05:59:09 PM »
It isn't disenfranchisement, Lestat.  Voters vote in their precinct/ward/district.  You should be voting in the correct polling place so you can vote for the right candidates, issues, etc.  It usually doesn't matter at the precinct level since they are the smallest unit and usually vote for most everything.  But, taxing districts, elected officials from districts, etc. can vary a lot geographically.

Far-fetched scenario:  bussing in people to the West Bank of Jefferson Parish to vote on whether to levy a tax on property to provide for levee protection.  You could bring in a lot of folks, claim they lived on the WB and possible skew the election.

Louisiana has provisional ballots for federal elections.  You fill out a paper ballot, sign and seal.  It's submitted with the other votes recorded on the voting machines.  The Registrar of Voters determines whether the voter was eligible to vote.  If yes, then he opens the ballot and records it.  If no, then he doesn't open it, but keeps it for a time in case of a challenge.

To make sure the voting process is open to everyone eligible, you show a government issued photo ID or provide some information about yourself (usually your mother's maiden name) and sign a form.  Then you go to the voting machine and vote.  Louisiana issues driver licenses and ID cards for a fee.  They also issue for FREE an ID to be used solely for voting.     
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 09:05:05 PM »
Thanks for the explanation your highness. while I am not completely ignorant of US political procedures and structure, my knowledge, especially at a local level is limited.

I had taken CBC's meaning to be if she didn't fill in the bullshit, then the threat was to strip her of the right to vote, of suffrage itself (not, I mean, women's suffrage, the movement and campaign, but just the right to vote at all, irrespective of if between one's legs is a pair of nadgers or a muff :P)

I have heard about voting by machine,  and what I've heard is not good. Didn't the company responsible for supplying/maintaining the electronic voting machines (in the G.W.Bush jr dictatorship, may perdition take that filthy two-bit inbred little despot and drag him down to tartarus. That prick would even forge his dead man's drachma, and try and get into a decent afterlife after attempting to cheat charon, with a bad penny to for the ferryman.) have some kind of involvement with the repugna-can party? seem to recall some scandal or other surrounding electronic voting but can't remember the details.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 09:53:01 PM »
I'm not sure about the details of the recent voting machine history.  We use big machines that with a curtain that hides the voter's choices.  They're brought to the polls the day before the election and picked up the day after the election.  The Commissioner in Charge removes the voting cartridge at the end of the day and brings it to the Clerk of Court's office that night to be tallied.  That's how Day of Election voting works.  BTW, we have 3 machines and in the time we've only had trouble with a machine once.  It was repaired within 30 minutes or so.

For Early voting a simpler machine is used.  It is about the size of a computer monitor turned sideways.  It has 2 flaps to provide privacy.

If you're 65 or older or you are disabled (doctor's note) you can request that paper ballot be mailed to you about 2 weeks before the election.  As long as it's in the Clerk of Court's office by the time the polls close it will be counted if it's properly filled out.

I know, TMI, but seeing how the process works from the other side is quite satisfying.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:55:49 PM by Queen Victoria »
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: