Educational

Author Topic: Post a random truth about yourself thread.  (Read 29591 times)

Graelwyn

Re: Post a random truth about yourself thread.
« Reply #900 on: January 25, 2007, 10:28:28 AM »
I was still climbing trees a lot at the age of 14/15, which just wasn't expected of a female that age.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #901 on: January 25, 2007, 04:25:47 PM »
my friend and i once took on a double date.  we took them to the grocery store to bag groceries and mop the floor. ;D

WTF?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #902 on: January 25, 2007, 05:19:59 PM »
my friend and i once took on a double date.  we took them to the grocery store to bag groceries and mop the floor. ;D

WTF?

we only had gas money, so we took them to the grocery store and pretended that we worked there.

it was original and they thought we were hilarious and had huge balls (guts).  we drove to the beach afterwards and parked.  if you get my drift.
Misunderstood.

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
« Reply #903 on: January 25, 2007, 06:28:58 PM »

I like your style my friend!  I wish I would have had that idea first...  My first date was to see "Rocky"   I was suprised that she didn't seem to like it.   What's not to like about "Rocky". (Action, romance, accents)    I should have taken her to the grocery, then she'd have had a good time.  However, I didn't date much after that. 

I picked up one girl, and my car wouldn't start when I went to leave her driveway.
I then took her to prom but she didn't eat at dinner because her dress was too tight.
There were a couple of others, but not as good as those.
Feeling neutral is very normal.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #904 on: January 25, 2007, 07:49:28 PM »
I speak very quietly when I'm even less confident than usual, or when I'm nervous about making a good impression.  When I'm comfortable, I can become very loud.

Maybe that's normal, but I've had two people tell me I was speaking too softly in the last week.  The first was a professor who asked why I didn't speak up, so I just said "I lack confidence" and repeated what I'd said in a louder voice.  Lucky for me, that got a laugh.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #905 on: January 25, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »
I have flower petals all over the house to clean up.
About three weeks ago I posted a somewhat dismal account of what may be in store for my spring flower display, which is always spectacular around here. The problem is that almost all the blooming plants were trying to bloom, in the unusual sixty degree temperatures, as if it was already spring. The plants are no longer dormant as they should be during the coldest months of winter and most of the flower buds were already expanding into the full bloom stage, which spells certain disaster for the limbs with liquid in the veins when the dreaded sub freezing temperatures finally return.

After another day of feeling sorry for myself at the possibility of loosing years of training for a particular growth shape on many treasured plants, (yes, I was trying to get my stupid eyes to swallow up the tears they were wanting to vomit down my cheeks - this shit is important to me) I got off my fat ass and got outside over the next few days and cut stems from all the flowering trees, pulled up many of the flowering spring bulbs (killing this year's growth and next year's blooms), mulched the crap out of everything else, got muddy as hell, and crossed my fingers.

As it turned out, the low teen temperatures arrived, this week, killing all the swollen blooms-to-be, destroying the bulbs upper growth for the year and denying me most of my winter-relieving spring flower displays. In my gusto to try to salvage something of the joy of spring, I "forced" over two hundred stems from flowering trees and managed to get dozens of the bulbs to bloom, all indoors.

My house is a mass of flowers, now, two months early, but at least not lost, completely. There are nine buckets of water holding flowering tree stems, many of them five feet tall, placed in corners around the house. My wife thought I had lost my mind, at first, bringing in all these dead-looking sticks and putting them in water, because it had been years since I tried to "force" any branches, indoors. I have some flowering crab apple, plum, almond and peach stems, some that reach the ceiling, and they are loaded with blooms, shedding petals and making one Hell of a happy mess, everywhere. I decided if I was going to lose the branches anyway, I may as well get some good out of the disaster. I even have a few fragrant daffodils that opened up their glory for us, inside.

Screw the mess ...
I don't regret it one bit!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:28:59 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Graelwyn

« Reply #906 on: January 25, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »
That sounds lovely... of course, my first thought was, what a great photo opportunity, wish I were there lol.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #907 on: January 25, 2007, 09:53:40 PM »
Good point, Graelwyn.  DirtDawg, do you have any camera at all?  You should take a picture of your Spring display.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #908 on: January 25, 2007, 09:58:38 PM »
I actually unpacked my Sinar, yesterday, but I haven't made any exposures, yet. I took too long, though, and the vermillion sundown, painting the inside of the house from a sharp angle, was gone before I got ready to shoot. This morning, after the kids were in school, I set the tripod down, squatting on the dining table and all day I have been composing a frameful of blossoms with a darkened wooden background, but the light, coming from the glass doors was too blue to interest me. Maybe tomorrow, but I might have a week's worth of blooms to work with. I'm a lucky man.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Graelwyn

« Reply #909 on: January 25, 2007, 10:02:20 PM »
*green with envy* and here is me, traipsing around stores, trying to find a decent bunch of flowers to shoot  :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #910 on: January 25, 2007, 10:09:26 PM »
Good point, Graelwyn.  DirtDawg, do you have any camera at all?  You should take a picture of your Spring display.

Yes, I have film cameras. I use mostly a Sinar P from the seventies era for my artistic endeavors. I'll find a pic of one and post it

I had to sell all my digital cameras when the company I worked for, for nine years, put me out to pasture, almost two years ago. The camera rigs were worth more than my wife's two year old (at the time) BuicK Regal. I couldn't justify keeping the cameras with payments getting behind and not using them for what they were bought for. If I had been able to work for four more years, I would have been able to retire quite comfortably, but that's why they treat us old guys like that. They took my position apart and hired three part timers to do my job. They were loyal to me, though, they offered me one of the part-time jobs. I just couldn't swallow my pride.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #911 on: January 25, 2007, 10:17:13 PM »
Large format, or rail camera, it's called. It uses cut sheet film in size four inches by five inches. I shoot mostly transparencies, using a wide angle in the woods. I've been pretty lazy, since October, though. I have some nice fall color shots, that I haven't even processed. It should help to pull me past the depression of winter, soon. I DO have a lot of stuff to do ... it's not like I have a reason to be bored and depressed all the time. I just don't have any "want to" anymore.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:24:46 PM by DirtDawg »

Graelwyn

« Reply #912 on: January 25, 2007, 10:22:05 PM »
I have never used anything like that, look quite beautiful albeit complicated? I collected old cameras, but the only one I tried using was a beautiful Voigtlander I had...a rarer model. 

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #913 on: January 25, 2007, 10:23:53 PM »

WTF?

we only had gas money, so we took them to the grocery store and pretended that we worked there.

it was original and they thought we were hilarious and had huge balls (guts).  we drove to the beach afterwards and parked.  if you get my drift.

If a guy did that to me, I think I'd kill him...being that I've worked in grocery stores since I was 17.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #914 on: January 25, 2007, 10:25:21 PM »

WTF?

If a guy did that to me, I think I'd kill him...being that I've worked in grocery stores since I was 17.

we did the work, they didn't.

they knew it was a joke.  and were quite amused by how we acted like we belonged there.
we were fun. 
Misunderstood.