Educational

Author Topic: How many here are believers?  (Read 7003 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: How many here are believers?
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2011, 11:52:32 AM »
:plus:

That post was perfection.  I may come back in an hour and  :plus: you again :)

...so you didn't then  :lol:
:plus:

:lol: i was just being facetious
blah blah blah

midlifeaspie

« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2011, 12:16:23 PM »

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
Santa Claus is often credited with events that were clearly performed by other humans (such as delivering presents).

God is often credited with events that were clearly performed by other humans (such as impregnating women).

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
Santa Claus is often credited with events that were clearly performed by other humans (such as delivering presents).

God is often credited with events that were clearly performed by other humans (such as impregnating women).

And, as with the Santa Claus example, all such events should be excluded from consideration.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »
so if all such events are excluded from consideration with God, why not Santa?

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2011, 01:35:30 PM »
Obviously no one can technically PROVE there is no god. But would you take someone seriously if they believed in Santa when they were 45?

Santa Claus is a cultural construct, and it is socially expected that adults will disbelieve the existence of Santa. Santa is not an appropriate analogy, because actions are attributed to Santa that were clearly done by normal humans (such as delivering presents). However, there is still as much evidence for the existence of an abstract Santa Claus as there is against the existence of an abstract Santa Claus.

Religion is an equally cultural construct.

Santa Claus is often credited with events that were clearly performed by other humans (such as delivering presents). If you remove all events attributed to Santa that were actually performed by normal humans, then the abstract entity that is left has (approximately) the same amount of evidence for and against its existence.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »
So then that whole part of the conversation was pointless. What I said earlier still stands - believing/not believing in God is the same as believing/not beliving in Santa

midlifeaspie

« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2011, 02:12:58 PM »
So then that whole part of the conversation was pointless. What I said earlier still stands - believing/not believing in God is the same as believing/not beliving in Santa

You ignore what is probably the most important issue when it comes to religion.  Many people take great comfort from their religion, and in the end they face death without fear because of their religion.  They believe their deceased loved ones are watching over them because of their religion.  They do not mourn in the same way the non-believers do, there is no finality, there is no end.

Santa does not provide this.

I envy them sometimes.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »

So, what have you told your little brothers about Santa?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
Nothing. They'll grow out of it when they realise it's bullshit (if they haven't already)

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2011, 02:55:02 PM »

You ignore what is probably the most important issue when it comes to religion.  Many people take great comfort from their religion, and in the end they face death without fear because of their religion.  They believe their deceased loved ones are watching over them because of their religion.  They do not mourn in the same way the non-believers do, there is no finality, there is no end.

Santa does not provide this.

I envy them sometimes.

I envy them too.  They have all the answers.  I guess it doesn't matter in a lot of situations - if the answers are truth or not as a lot of people get comfort from just having an answer.
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
HOLD ON.......what are you saying???

Santa's not real!! :santa:
 :screwy:

i spose you will be telling me the tooth fairy is made up next,  huh
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »
LOL, I had told my kids St Nic was a dressed up guy. And that it was all about the game of giving eachother presents and pranks, while being unknown. It was not about a real St Nic. He clearly is not real. Told them that at a very young age. It never interfered with them believing in the game of St Nic. That was a firm belief till they were 10 or 8.
I had told them similar things about other traditions. But, had never said that specifically about the toothfairy. Thought it was obvious. Since they had expressed similar thoughts about God too.

So, one day I had kids over for lunch, and they started telling the toothfairy wasn't real. My kids were shocked, so I told them it was similar to St Nic, and that I had thought they had realised that.

At that moment the kids I had over for lunch started to cry, because I had made them realise st Nic wasn't real.  :facepalm2: :asthing:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2011, 03:20:29 PM »
LOL, I had told my kids St Nic was a dressed up guy. And that it was all about the game of giving eachother presents and pranks, while being unknown. It was not about a real St Nic. He clearly is not real. Told them that at a very young age. It never interfered with them believing in the game of St Nic. That was a firm belief till they were 10 or 8.
I had told them similar things about other traditions. But, had never said that specifically about the toothfairy. Thought it was obvious. Since they had expressed similar thoughts about God too.

So, one day I had kids over for lunch, and they started telling the toothfairy wasn't real. My kids were shocked, so I told them it was similar to St Nic, and that I had thought they had realised that.

At that moment the kids I had over for lunch started to cry, because I had made them realise st Nic wasn't real.  :facepalm2: :asthing:

oh no Hyke - you must have felt like the grim reaper  -  killing off santa :lol:

i sussed on about the tooth fairy when walkers crisps costs 7p in the shops -  i recall the 7p left under my pillow and they were copper coins - so i queried my mum 'why didn't the tooth fairy leave me silver, tracey next door had a ten pence yesterday'  and the look on her face just said it all.

Make believe is great for kids.  I am gonna do magic, and fairy's, and wizards, goblins, elve's and pixies right up til the urchin is at least 15 lol
blah blah blah

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2011, 03:24:52 PM »

oh no Hyke - you must have felt like the grim reaper  -  killing off santa :lol:

i sussed on about the tooth fairy when walkers crisps costs 7p in the shops -  i recall the 7p left under my pillow and they were copper coins - so i queried my mum 'why didn't the tooth fairy leave me silver, tracey next door had a ten pence yesterday'  and the look on her face just said it all.

Make believe is great for kids.  I am gonna do magic, and fairy's, and wizards, goblins, elve's and pixies right up til the urchin is at least 15 lol

The tooth fairy left my daughter a dollar when she lost her first tooth and she was upset she didn't get a dime.

So, I traded her ten dimes for her dollar.

:lol: