Educational

Author Topic: random thread, for all that you can't find an appropriate thread for.  (Read 25036 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: random thread, for all that you can't find an appropriate thread for.
« Reply #990 on: March 15, 2016, 01:07:17 AM »
Now I want to know what the other side looks like.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #991 on: March 15, 2016, 01:40:54 AM »
Somebody with a heavy Indian accent just called me from "Windows Centre" to tell me that my Windows computer was going to crash. It was "sending signals" that clearly told them what was going to happen unless I took immediate action. I started laughing, which probably wasn't what he expected since he hung up on me.

:LMAO:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #992 on: March 15, 2016, 06:15:59 AM »
Now I want to know what the other side looks like.

We actually know the realtor selling the house..........and to be blunt, we wouldn't buy a used car or anything from him.  Guess, if they saw the pictures of the burned side, nobody would even want to go there to check it out!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #993 on: March 15, 2016, 09:13:52 AM »
Somebody with a heavy Indian accent just called me from "Windows Centre" to tell me that my Windows computer was going to crash. It was "sending signals" that clearly told them what was going to happen unless I took immediate action. I started laughing, which probably wasn't what he expected since he hung up on me.

I just say that my husband is a computer programmer and hang up.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #994 on: March 16, 2016, 06:34:23 AM »

I just say that my husband is a computer programmer and hang up.

One time I listened gravely and worriedly, and then asked him how any of this was possible since I had a Mac.

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #995 on: March 16, 2016, 07:59:47 AM »

Some bullshitter in tech support in 2008(?) told me all about the virus my computer allegedly had.
  He gave me a number to call, to have my computer remote-fixed for a third the cost of the entire unit.
  Even I knew better than to go along with that.  I'm naive in many ways, but not completely stupid.  >:(
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #996 on: March 28, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »

Some bullshitter in tech support in 2008(?) told me all about the virus my computer allegedly had.
  He gave me a number to call, to have my computer remote-fixed for a third the cost of the entire unit.
  Even I knew better than to go along with that.  I'm naive in many ways, but not completely stupid.  >:(

These people call me every now and then. It's hilarious.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #997 on: February 18, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
:gopher:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #998 on: February 18, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
Well that was entertaining. Looks like I need to fabricate a better vessel for my violet phosphorus project. The refractory sand casting didn't stand up to  the molten lead, and it started leaking out through the bottom. Cue the now white phosphorus igniting, being hit by a brazing torch flame and filling the toolshed with an insane amount of smoke. Time to try with WP from the start, in a copper pipe, filled with lead, and clamped closed at the end  with a bend, in any case only a portion of the pipe nearest the torch flame is going to get heated up, so the remainder of the lead should remain solid. Going to completely fill the pipe with Pb, then drill a hole through the center of it, in which to add some white phosphorus, fill the hole with argon, then heat the exterior of the pipe at the top to make the lead collapse inwards and fill the hole. Need to avoid contact with the copper, so as not to form copper phosphide, which would release highly toxic phosphine gas on contact with moisture or water.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #999 on: February 18, 2017, 11:07:17 PM »
Just finished another project, well mostly. Still has a few edges and some polishing to do.

Its for my former social worker, a really decent, and I dare say, pretty fucking hawt for an NT, been doing a bit of silversmithing, a crux ansata, or ankh in silver. Had to add a little silver-copper-tin alloy to it, that has some flux so the silver would flow, and melt easily with the torch I was using, still. its got a nice polyfaceted look, since I used a grinder to take off any over-sized bits and do the preliminary polishing and removing the slag from the burnt off flux. I think I'll finish off the finest bits, and do the remaining faceting with a diamond file since there are some precision ones that only cut on the very edges available.

The design is such that I've added angled flat planes all over all the flat surfaces. Its softer than pure silver, but I didn't have enough silver bullion to fill the entirety of the mold, and it didn't coalesce too well when melting it, so I added the silver-copper-tin paste and gave it a good roasting, and whilst it was still molten, after overfilling the mold, scraped over the surface with a knife that I use as a general purpose chemistry scraper and spatula, an old electroplated nickel silver fish knife. Looks quite good..I like my work to have style where possible, such as using antique reagent bottles for example, got an antique silver scooper thingy, not quite sure what it was for, but again its both functional and stylish :)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #1000 on: April 24, 2017, 08:07:39 PM »
A.1. steak sauce bottles keep turning up inside Ohio library   :lol1:

A tasty mystery is brewing at an Ohio library after more than two dozen empty steak sauce bottles were found behind the books.

Jill Ralston, a spokesperson for the Avon Lake Public Library in Avon Lake, Ohio, said employees found the first bottle of A.1. steak sauce shoved inside of newspapers in January. They have since found another 30 bottles.

“There’s no label, and the labels have been peeled, but you can tell there had been a label on them,” Ralston told WOIO. “They’re dishwasher clean, dry inside and out, just a hint of A.1. still lingering in the bottle.”

Employees are perplexed because the bottle have been turning up in random place throughout the library. Ralston said most of the time they have found them behind books on the shelves.

“And some days we find multiples. There have been times when we’ve found many as three or four a day,” said she.

Some people believe it could be local kids playing a prank, but Ralston played down that theory.

“I think they’re being hidden during the day sometime, so that makes me think it’s not a student because we’re finding them after 3 p.m.,” she said.

She did say that if it is in fact a game, the perpetrator should let them know the rules so they can play along.

“Are we messing up the game by finding them and removing them from the shelf? I have no idea," said Ralston.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/16/1-steak-sauce-bottles-keep-turning-up-inside-ohio-library.html

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #1001 on: April 25, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
A.1. steak sauce bottles keep turning up inside Ohio library   :lol1:

A tasty mystery is brewing at an Ohio library after more than two dozen empty steak sauce bottles were found behind the books.

Jill Ralston, a spokesperson for the Avon Lake Public Library in Avon Lake, Ohio, said employees found the first bottle of A.1. steak sauce shoved inside of newspapers in January. They have since found another 30 bottles.

“There’s no label, and the labels have been peeled, but you can tell there had been a label on them,” Ralston told WOIO. “They’re dishwasher clean, dry inside and out, just a hint of A.1. still lingering in the bottle.”

Employees are perplexed because the bottle have been turning up in random place throughout the library. Ralston said most of the time they have found them behind books on the shelves.

“And some days we find multiples. There have been times when we’ve found many as three or four a day,” said she.

Some people believe it could be local kids playing a prank, but Ralston played down that theory.

“I think they’re being hidden during the day sometime, so that makes me think it’s not a student because we’re finding them after 3 p.m.,” she said.

She did say that if it is in fact a game, the perpetrator should let them know the rules so they can play along.

“Are we messing up the game by finding them and removing them from the shelf? I have no idea," said Ralston.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/16/1-steak-sauce-bottles-keep-turning-up-inside-ohio-library.html

Fun!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
 :headbang2:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Absolutely hilarious video I found on youtube. Guy flushes 6 large lumps of sodium metal down a toilet (at once)

You'll have to watch this, because there really are no words to describe what this is....

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
I remember in the Science Museum, for some reason there was a toilet you could see into, to see how it worked. The fake poo that was supposed to be in it, had somehow jumped out and landed on the floor.
:dog: