Author Topic: does this ever happen to anyone?  (Read 632 times)

richard

does this ever happen to anyone?
« on: October 28, 2006, 05:20:26 PM »
usually if i'm walking and if its down a street, i notice if i pass or walk under a street lamp it imeadiatley goes out. is this just a coincidence or something else? it doesn't bother me persey but its just a little concerning. kindof like dejavu

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: does this ever happen to anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 05:24:10 PM »
Coincidence. I hope. ;)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

richard

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 05:28:24 PM »
so has it happend to you man?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 05:31:51 PM »
Actually, yes.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 05:32:25 PM »
Happens to my mom and happens to me.  We've both noticed it.  My mother also cannot wear battery watches for very long before they die and has been known to explode light bulbs; I don't explode things yet but lightbulbs tend to die more when I'm upset.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

richard

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 07:11:26 PM »
so are we all agreed that this is not some magical power? but maybe has something to do with electomagnitism?

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 09:27:05 PM »
Happens to me quite a bit.......even in the car.
I used to get quite paranoid about it.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 10:38:59 PM »
so are we all agreed that this is not some magical power? but maybe has something to do with electomagnitism?
My wife has some kind of juice that causes cerdit cards to lose their magnetic strip info. Do you understand how cool it is to be married to a woman who can't carry credit cards?
She also exposes old fashion photo paper, that you have to develop, with her touch. It took me a while to figure that one out.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 12:51:58 AM »
Happens to my mom and happens to me.  We've both noticed it.  My mother also cannot wear battery watches for very long before they die and has been known to explode light bulbs; I don't explode things yet but lightbulbs tend to die more when I'm upset.

I've read about that happening to people. It's some kind of disorder or something. Electromagnetism like Richard said...or something.
* QuirkyCarla hopes Callaway can provide us with a link.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 03:22:06 AM »
Happens to my mom and happens to me.  We've both noticed it.  My mother also cannot wear battery watches for very long before they die and has been known to explode light bulbs; I don't explode things yet but lightbulbs tend to die more when I'm upset.

I've read about that happening to people. It's some kind of disorder or something. Electromagnetism like Richard said...or something.
* QuirkyCarla hopes Callaway can provide us with a link.

The Wikipedia article on Electromagnetism is too general to be of much help for this phenomenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetism

This is a Wikipedia article about Street Light Interference, from a skeptical point of view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Light_Interference

This is a page about Street light Interference from a more positive point of view:

http://www.amasci.com/weird/unusual/sli.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:36:34 AM by Callaway »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 04:00:49 AM »
Coincidences. 'nuff said.

- Albert Einstein

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 12:20:43 AM »
I found this interesting story here: http://paranormal.about.com/library/blstory_december00.htm

Powerful SLIder Experience by Neil S.
From the age of 24 I knew that something very strange was happening in relation to street lights going out on me. This has been happening for many years now with some powerful events often leaving me literally in the dark. It all seemed to suddenly become apparent in 1986 in Brisbane, Australia. My flat mates and I were all going out nightclubbing this particular night. We ran down to the bus stop, which was on the other side of the road to go into the city. As we reached the bus stop, the street light went out. We all made a big commotion, with lots of oohs and ahhs, had a good laugh and went on the bus. A few weeks later we all were going out again. I was running behind the others as my shoelace had come undone. My mates were already sitting at the bus stop. When I came across, the street light went out. Lots more oohs and ahhs, and my friends made a big commotion about me making the light go out. We all had a great laugh, and I actually remember saying, "It's just a coincidence." We didn't think any more of it until the next time we were all going out a few weeks later. We got to the bottom of the hill and one of my friends said, "Neil, you go first and see if the light will go out." I said, "Oh yeah, I'm sure it will go out again," in honest sarcasm. I crossed the road... and the light went out. I fell quiet. There was an uncomfortable laughter from my friends back across the road. Someone yelled for me to come back, so I did - and the light came on again. No one could believe this was happening, least of all me. We then all crossed the road together and the street light went out again. We all sat in silence. As we rode off in the bus, the street light came on again. It was at this point that I really did believe something completely foreign to my standard perception of the world was now being challenged. As the years have moved on, so to has my continued ability, though uncontrolled, to make the lights go out, the whole street go out, the suburbs around me go out, the towns go out, sparking light poles and even exploding light bulbs. The majority of times this happens to me is when I feel very content, and it usually happens when my friends are around - far too many times to be coincidence. This has made me wonder what is really happening here. No answers have been found, but one of my childhood memories, which I share with my best friend today, is the time we were mucking around as 10 to 13-year-old kids trying to conjure up a storm. It was an overcast day, but no rain, no wind, no storm and no lighting. We were pretending to use old spells to try to get a storm happening. All of a sudden, a fork of lighting hit across the paddock some 30 to 40 feet away! Of course, this scared the living daylights out of us, and we went screaming inside the house as fast as our hearts could pump. I'm not sure if it has any connection to the street light interference later in my life.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 07:10:23 AM »
Urban myths... There's no way you can influence a streetlight--unless you know where the on/off switch is, or have a big rock and some degree of markmanship.

Read up on physics.

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 07:29:11 AM »
You can actually steal electricity from a street ligth, but that's a completely different question, isn't it?  ;)

richard

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 09:43:33 AM »
Urban myths
i don't know dude i think this one might be true