Educational

Author Topic: What gender pronouns do you use  (Read 3833 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What gender pronouns do you use
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 10:43:07 PM »
I can't remember if you call me he or she
Admittedly she.  :-\
But will change to he if you want. :) Because of GA I now realise how important this can be. Have also been wondering what you will choose for your male name.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

P7PSP

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 11:57:37 PM »

Scrapheap

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:04:23 AM »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 02:23:49 AM »
Most scholars have (for generations) insisted that English should have a gender-non-specific set of pronouns.

It makes perfect sense, since we do not include gender in "things"  as with most Latin-based languages. Why should we include gender when we speak to each other?  We are setting ourselves up to simply fail at communication, again!

It is a very rare instance when knowledge or description of gender plays a part in understanding what someone else is trying to say.

Yes, but English shares common descent with German, and German has gender for things too.

It's based on the gender of the word itself. A cat, for example, is a she even if it's a male cat.  :dunno:

In the dialect of the village I grew up everyone is a he. The dialect is very close to German. So, the origin of the language is no excuse.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 04:41:26 AM »
When talking about a transgendered person?

And no I don't mean me personally, just wondering why

For me I obviously don't care what sex they are so will refer to them as whatever they identify as

Ditto.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »
Men and boys as he and women and Girls as she.

If they are genetically and biologically born that way then that is how I will refer to then as. The rest in my view is just skirting around what I consider pretty cut and dried.

It in my mind is like me saying "I don't want to be 40. I want you all to respect me and pretend I am a 18 year old stud. I want you all to treat me like I am 18 irrespective of my age. I will wear cool hip clothes and tell everyone I am 18 and fresh out of school and try to pick up young chicks" I am not and can never be. Too bad Les you old fuck you are 40. (No, no mid-life crisis, it really doesn't bother me) OR like me saying I don't want to be Autistic. Sorry too bad.

That is just me. I don't consider it disrespectful. It is like a big pretend that I don't get. "Mr Jones has decided he wants to be a woman and so from now on you call him Ms Jones". OK. "Yes and you have to change your thinking completely when you see them. They will be wearing a dress and talking in falsetto and wearing a wig and behaving feminine." OK that will freak me out having known Mr Jones and I seeing that change and yes I will get what they are after and wanting. I will not be boysie with them or seek to embarrass them. Each to their own and whatever.

What I will not do though is pretend that they don't still look like a man pretending to be a woman or pretend that they have transformed on a biological level. I think it is a bit much to expect, and changing the pronoun, in my thoughts, is not respecting me to refer to them as I always have. As much as they would not be the biological sex they were born with, they are and will be.

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »
Why does it bother you though? It's not exactly hard to just refer to someone as she.

Also a lot of people aren't 100% male or female, and you would never know this

imo it's no one else's business what sex someone is, so I will refer to them as whatever they tell me they are

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »
LOL, could you lift your skirt please, or drop your pants. I want to make sure I address you the right way.

That definitely will go down wrong.  :boxers:

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
LOL, could you lift your skirt please, or drop your pants. I want to make sure I address you the right way.

:lol:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »
btw I understand if it';s someone you knew before transition. I found it difficult getting used to GA and that's just someone I know ONLINE. I would still make the effort though

I mean I';d find it ridiculous for someone to refer to an obvious woman as "he"

P7PSP

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »

Dogs sniff butts, that way they don't need to remove clothes.

TheoK

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »
Last year I met a girl who thinks she is a FTM transsexual. However, she dates guys. She is most probably also an Aspie.

I don't really believe in the idea of such a person being a transsexual. She's a "boygirl" as we would say here, a person with a typical "manly" personality but born with a vagina. If you're born with a vagina but still have an attraction to men, why do a gender change? All you have to do is dressing like a guy, cutting your hair short etc. The same goes for a man who is born with a penis and has an attraction to women, although he likes having long hair, a smooth body, wearing a skirt or dress etc. You can address them as what they like, but I find a change of the outer genitalia totally unneccesarily for them, because the sexuality is in the brain anyway. 

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »
Gender identity has nothing to do with sexuality though. Who I'm atttracted to is completely irrelevant.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 12:07:51 PM »

Dogs sniff butts, that way they don't need to remove clothes.

Wonder what hormone therapy will do to the scent of intimate bits.  :nerd!:
But, since butt sniffing is not social acceptable street behaviour of humans, I think it will take a while before there will be research of how feminine and male private bits smell on different persons.

TheoK

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »
One funny thing. My left armpit sometimes smell a bit like a wet pussy. No idea why. Have observed it for at least 15 years.  :zombiefuck: