Educational

Author Topic: Abortion due to sex  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Abortion due to sex
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
that's what I mean

They're not exactly gonna be good parents to him if they wanted to abort him because he wasn't a girl (or vice versa)

Yes, you can find out the gender of the embryo in the first trimester if you do Chorionic Villus Sampling, but that test has some risks.  You can have an amniocentesis as early as 15 - 16 weeks, which is a test where they stick a giant needle into the mother's uterus to draw out some amniotic fluid and find out the baby's chromosomes from that.  That test also has risks, but less than CVS.

People usually don't find out the sex of the baby until they can see the baby's genitals with an ultrasound, at 18 - 20 weeks.

The parents in this story wouldn't have gotten pregnant with sons in the first place if Australia would have let them implant only female zygotes in their IVF procedure like they do in the US, though.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
Which is just as bad

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »
Which is just as bad

No it's not, not unless you claim a zygote, which is a tiny blob of cells grown in a Petri dish, one cell of which can be checked to find out its genetic makeup, is exactly the same as an embryo.  I don't think you claim that since you objected earlier in this thread to me calling a fetus a child.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
Because my point was about caring too much about the sex of the kid. Actually choosing what sex your child is is wrong. 1 what if there is a mistake and it actually ends up male/female instead? 2 what if the kid doesn't end up how they wanted it? just because a kid has a penis doesnt mean it will be the boy you want, or the girl you want if it has a vagina. People shouldn't be obsessing over the penis/vagina of their potential child in the first place

midlifeaspie

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
Because my point was about caring too much about the sex of the kid. Actually choosing what sex your child is is wrong. 1 what if there is a mistake and it actually ends up male/female instead? 2 what if the kid doesn't end up how they wanted it? just because a kid has a penis doesnt mean it will be the boy you want, or the girl you want if it has a vagina. People shouldn't be obsessing over the penis/vagina of their potential child in the first place

But can't this just be extended to everything else you have expressed?  Why should parents obsess about their child's autism status or physical health?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »
Because that's about wanting what's best for your child, not wanting some ideal little kid like a posession

midlifeaspie

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »
Because that's about wanting what's best for your child, not wanting some ideal little kid like a posession

As the father of an autistic child I firmly disagree with you.  Just because my child has a different neurostatus than the majority does mean it isn't "best" for him.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »

I also disagree.  My daughter was born with heart, kidney, and spine problems as well as autism, but that doesn't imply to me that I should have gotten rid of her instead of having her.  How would that have been "best for her"?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2011, 01:04:19 PM »
Well technically it would have

Whether or not the kids are better off with or without autism (and as autism is a disability I would say they're better off without), the fact still stands that people concerned about their kids having autism ARE (usually) concerned about it FOR THE KID. Not for what they want the kid to be like themselevs

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2011, 02:00:42 PM »
Well technically it would have

Whether or not the kids are better off with or without autism (and as autism is a disability I would say they're better off without), the fact still stands that people concerned about their kids having autism ARE (usually) concerned about it FOR THE KID. Not for what they want the kid to be like themselevs

What do you mean?  Do you mean that a child is better off dead rather than having problems, health or otherwise?

Take yourself as an example.  Would you prefer to be dead than be the way you are with the OCD and stuff?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2011, 02:18:12 PM »
Well, yes actually :zoinks:

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »
:laugh:

Actually, I would rather I had never been born in the first place, which is even more relevant