Educational

Author Topic: Abortion due to sex  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Abortion due to sex
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »
Did you see this in the news? The couple who've had a few sons and then aborted their twin boys, and are now trying for another baby (wanting it to be a girl)?

I support first trimester abortions for ANY reason btw, financial, autism, whatever. But I do still think this is pretty ghey

I can't understand being in this position. I can understand wanting a boy or wanting a giirl, but not to the point that you'd abort and try again? Imagine the kid then ended up like me? The guilt they'd suffer would be horrendous  :laugh:

Also why don't think just adopt if they want so much control over what the kid is?

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Abortion due to sex
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »
Read that and it did my head in.
Going through the horrors of IVF, and then abort the twin boys that are a result of it.

Think that couple needs serious professional help, to help them deal with the loss of their daughter, the one they want to replace so badly.

Even if they do get a girl the next time, she will never be able to replace her lost sister. And the burden it will put on that possible daughter would be horrific.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »
I'm pro-choice, but that is horrible.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
Aren't all abortions due to sex? ;)
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »
I haven't seen it, but I think it's very sad.  I know there are so many people who would have loved to adopt their twin sons if they didn't want to raise them.

I agree with Hyke that they probably need counseling and that if they don't get it, this would put a huge amount of pressure on the girl they eventually have, assuming they are blessed with one.

However, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to have a girl through IVF if they want one.  Who is it going to hurt if parents can choose the sex of their children conceived through IVF?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 05:19:58 PM »
IVF,

Didnt know it was IVF

That makes it even worse. Especially if they got it on the NHS

Selfish bastards should just appreciate what they';ve got ffs. Any child is a child. Too many people treat kids like some kind of commodity, rather than something they should just be fucking grateful for

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »
IVF,

Didnt know it was IVF

That makes it even worse.

Selfish bastards should just appreciate what they';ve got ffs. Any child is a child. Too many people treat kids like some kind of commodity, rather than something they should just be fucking grateful for

They are Australian.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
I haven't seen it, but I think it's very sad.  I know there are so many people who would have loved to adopt their twin sons if they didn't want to raise them.

I agree with Hyke that they probably need counseling and that if they don't get it, this would put a huge amount of pressure on the girl they eventually have, assuming they are blessed with one.

However, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to have a girl through IVF if they want one.  Who is it going to hurt if parents can choose the sex of their children conceived through IVF?

The child themselves? Dictating what your child is going to be, based on what you want or what ideal you have in your head just puts pressure on the child to conform to that. What if someone wants a boy but then that boy turns out very feminine and doesn't live up to the football playing, boyish stereotype the parents wanted?

Sex of a child should be completely irrelevant. Any parent who has an unhealthy fixation on the genitilia of their children needs help

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 05:31:32 PM »

Nope. That statement is congruent to a bold-faced lie. 

Pregnancy is indeed due to sex, but abortions are most often performed due to a lack of faith in ones ability to deal with the future.

The ultimate result of any completed pregnancy will mean that all the old, dependable ways of thinking have just changed.

It is up to those who are pregnant to make a determination (legally, but morally, making this determination draws from many other concerns) whether a massive change is for the good or for the bad.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 05:32:56 PM »
Here is a link with more info on the couple:

A COUPLE so desperate for a baby girl that they terminated twin boys are fighting to choose the sex of their next child.

The couple, who have three sons and still grieve for a daughter they lost soon after birth, are going to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal to win the right to select sex by IVF treatment.
They say they want the opportunity to have the baby daughter they were tragically denied.
An independent panel, known as the Patient Review Panel, recently rejected the couple's bid to choose the sex of their next child using IVF.
They have gone to VCAT in a bid to have that decision overturned.
VCAT recently ruled that it has the power to review the Patient Review Panel decision. It will hear the couple's case in March.
So determined are the couple to have a girl that they recently terminated twin boys conceived through IVF.
The couple said it had been a traumatic decision to make but they could not continue to have unlimited numbers of children.
If their test case fails, they say they will go to the US to conceive a girl.
The couple, who cannot be identified, conceived their three boys naturally.
The woman - in her thirties - says she loves her sons but would do anything to have a daughter.
The man said: "After what we have been through we are due for a bit of luck. We want to be given the opportunity to have a girl."
The woman, who is consumed by grief over the daughter who died soon after birth, admits she has become obsessed with having a daughter and it has become vital to her psychological health.
Victoria's Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008 bans sex selection unless it is necessary to avoid the risk of transmission of a genetic abnormality or genetic disease to a child.
All IVF clinics in Australia must stay within National Health and Medical Research Council guidelines that say sex selection should not be done except to reduce the transmission of a serious genetic condition.
Australian IVF pioneer Gab Kovacs - not involved in the case - said he could not understand why the couple should be banned from having a girl.
"I can't see how it could harm anyone," he said.
"Who is this going to harm if this couple have their desire fulfilled?"
But Gene Ethics director Bob Phelps did not believe the couple should be allowed to choose. He feared it could open floodgates.
"I'm sorry they lost their daughter but, in the interests of society as a whole, they should seek some counselling for their grief and look for another way of getting a daughter into their family," he said.
"They sound like good parents and could offer a home to a child who needs one." He suggested they could adopt from overseas.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
Sickos I'm surprised it wasn't in the US but I guess every country has shallow people with loose morals
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »

Nope. That statement is congruent to a bold-faced lie. 

Pregnancy is indeed due to sex, but abortions are most often performed due to a lack of faith in ones ability to deal with the future.

The ultimate result of any completed pregnancy will mean that all the old, dependable ways of thinking have just changed.

It is up to those who are pregnant to make a determination (legally, but morally, making this determination draws from many other concerns) whether a massive change is for the good or for the bad.

1. A lie requires a deliberate attempt to deceive.
2. Abortion is due to pregnancy. Pregnancy is due to sex. Even in the case of IVF or other artificial methods of embryo development, the use of the method is usually preceded by a failure to conceive through natural means. Furthermore, even when a couple does not attempt conception through natural means, the makeup of the reproductive system still results from sex, so even these pregnancies are traceable to sex. Without sex, we would not have the reproductive system that we have.
3. An action can have more than one cause.
4. I was joking.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 05:41:31 PM »

The child themselves? Dictating what your child is going to be, based on what you want or what ideal you have in your head just puts pressure on the child to conform to that. What if someone wants a boy but then that boy turns out very feminine and doesn't live up to the football playing, boyish stereotype the parents wanted?

Sex of a child should be completely irrelevant. Any parent who has an unhealthy fixation on the genitilia of their children needs help

OK, but they already have three sons, who they love, and they have lost an infant daughter.

I get that one child can never replace another one, and I would never have an abortion for gender selection myself, but I see nothing wrong with parents with three sons also wanting a daughter.  I see nothing wrong with parents who are having IVF choosing the gender of the child.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
Can't you see that it's putting unecessary pressure on the child, just to fulfill the parents' selfish dreams of an ideal family?

Why would any parents have such a fixation on the genitalia of their children? (assuming the kids are healthy of course)

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:14:35 PM »
I don't see it that way.  When my husband and I got married, we talked about the children we eventually wanted to have.  I wanted us to have at least one girl and my husband wanted at least one boy.  Our family didn't turn out that way.  I had endometriosis, so I had surgery to free up adhesions before I got pregnant with our daughter and we had fertility treatments to try for a second child, including another laparoscopic surgery to remove a large endometriosis cyst on one of my ovaries, which had been made worse by the fertility treatments.  While I would happily welcome any child my husband and I had and I would never abort a child because it was the "wrong" gender, I don't see wanting a child of one gender or the other as equating to having an unhealthy fixation on the genitalia of our children.