Educational

Author Topic: gas prices  (Read 3916 times)

duncvis

Re: gas prices
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 04:18:30 PM »
Fuel prices here in the UK have gone down from a high of almost £1 ($1.85ish/EUR1.40ish) a litre to 85p a litre over the last couple of months. It still isn't cheap, but its back to where it was before the spike at least.

Litigious

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 04:34:47 PM »
It's about the same price as in Sweden.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 05:54:14 AM »
My understanding is it has something to do with competition from oil production in Russia?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Litigious

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 06:07:39 AM »
Maybe. Russia has debts in Western Europe, but since it's a big and powerful country, even if it's weaker than the Soviet Union, the other countries don't dare to dump the prices to much, because in that case Russia might be very angry. So it's more accomodation than competition .

Litigious

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 06:18:55 AM »
It's not that easy for small countries. Ever since we lost our status as great European power about 300 years ago, Sweden has kissed either Russias, Germanys or Americas arse.  :grrr:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »
i'm glad they're high, and i hope they go even higher, because then there might be enough people screaming about price increases to get selfish bastards not to drive their car ten yards down the road, or to get one which is economical, rather than being a status symbol/penis substitute/wankmobile, thus fucking the environment.  there is talk of the sharp rise in allergies/asthma/all sorts of common conditions being due to raised pollution and compromised immune systems, which is, obviously, caused in part by car exhaust fumes.

Litigious

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 11:24:32 AM »
I have a Volvo, European environmental class 2, the second most environmental friendly, which is just what I can afford. And I live 15 English miles from town. The next bus stop is 2 English miles away. And I don't think a 10 year old Volvo is what I'd call a wankmobile.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 12:05:26 PM »
i'm glad they're high, and i hope they go even higher, because then there might be enough people screaming about price increases to get selfish bastards not to drive their car ten yards down the road, or to get one which is economical, rather than being a status symbol/penis substitute/wankmobile, thus fucking the environment.  there is talk of the sharp rise in allergies/asthma/all sorts of common conditions being due to raised pollution and compromised immune systems, which is, obviously, caused in part by car exhaust fumes.

i personally did the math last year and:
with the rebates you can get from the government coupled with the offset in gas prices, a hybrid vehicle would pay for itself in about 4 years; for my situation.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 01:09:49 PM »
Don't trust them. Here you can rebuild your car and drive it on 85% ethanol and 15% gas. Initially this E85 as it was called was pretty cheap, but then it turned out that:

1. As the E85 consists of 85% ethanol it's less powerful than pure gasoline. Ergo, your car will "drink" more E85 than pure gas.

2. After a lot of people converted their cars or bought new ones, built especially for E85, the companies raised the prices so it didn't pay off to drive on E85 any more.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 01:12:36 PM »
the hybrids that i am talking about are mostly batteries that use very little gas.

about 60-70 miles per gallon.
Misunderstood.

thepeaguy

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 01:13:03 PM »

I would so love to see you go at it with Jeremy Clarkson, the guy who claims that he eats environmentalists for breakfast.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 02:29:35 PM by thepeaguy »

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 01:30:11 PM »
the hybrids that i am talking about are mostly batteries that use very little gas.

about 60-70 miles per gallon.

I've read the hybrids are not getting close to what the manufacturer claims.

VW diesels are where it's at.
Plenty of power and I'm averaging 40 mpg....it'll get 50+ on the highway...even higher if I drove the speedlimit :police:
Almost non-existant green house gass emissions, fuel is less refined which conserves energy and helps the environment, will run on bio-diesel made from used cooking oil.

Scrapheap

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 08:49:22 PM »
Personally I can't wait for gas to go down. My dually barely gets 10 mile to the gallon, and I'd like to get a class 3 RV as a tow vehicle for my race car. The motor home would likely get 6-8 mpg. At $3 per gallon, that would cost me over $200 just to tow my car To Las Vegas and back. Add in race entry fees, food, entertainment and misc. That could easily be a $800 weekend!!

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 07:18:34 PM »
I don't see gas going down to $1.00 anymore though.
Guardian of the Empire

Scrapheap

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »
I don't see gas going down to $1.00 anymore though.

Yeah i know, that sucks. Id be happy to see it a $2 a gallon though.