Author Topic: gas prices  (Read 3917 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
gas prices
« on: October 24, 2006, 09:55:23 AM »
why, all of a sudden are they about one dollar less per gallon than they were about six months ago?

have our european friend seen a radical drop in gas prices?

could it be that we have elections in a couple of weeks....
Misunderstood.

Litigious

Re: gas prices
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:23:35 AM »
One US gallon of gas (3,8 liters) costs about US$6 or more here in Sweden and most of Europe, even more in some countries.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:36:46 AM »
Yes, it's so bad here that we're now considering selling our car to afford the gas...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 10:59:14 AM »
 :green:

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 11:18:03 AM »
why, all of a sudden are they about one dollar less per gallon than they were about six months ago?

have our european friend seen a radical drop in gas prices?

could it be that we have elections in a couple of weeks....

Elections could be part of the reason. Also gas goes UP in the summer because a lot of people travel and they want to make money off them. I think after the summer's over, gas prices normally go down again. That's the pattern I've noticed out here at least.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 11:49:58 AM »
what a radical drop in prices.

my question is:
have our european friends seen the same drop in prices?
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:28:45 PM »
No. But you would probably not win an election in Europe on lower gas prices, despite the fact that the gas is about twice as expensive as in the US. On the contrary, some environmental parties are getting votes by promising to raise the prices. Madness.

thepeaguy

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 12:33:52 PM »
Gas prices? What the fuck do I care for? I don't drive!

Litigious

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 12:36:22 PM »
I do. And the prices annoy me. A lot.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »
No. But you would probably not win an election in Europe on lower gas prices, despite the fact that the gas is about twice as expensive as in the US. On the contrary, some environmental parties are getting votes by promising to raise the prices. Madness.

its just that the republican party (g.w. bush) has been taking a hammering over the gas prices.  and their coddling of the oil companies when it was proved that they have been price gauging.
i suspect a sharp increase after the november elections.
Misunderstood.

thepeaguy

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 01:32:47 PM »

Because, uh, you own a car, so it's blatantly obvious that you would get annoyed?

Me, I just like to walk and jog.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »

Because, uh, you own a car, so it's blatantly obvious that you would get annoyed?

Higher fuel prices affect you even if you never drive.  They increase the transportation costs of almost everything you buy as well as your personal transportation costs if you fly or ride public transportation.  Even if you personally do not pay more, it still costs more.  Where I live the distances are huge, so walking my daughter to school would be nearly impossible, even if she did not have painful bunions on both her feet.

thepeaguy

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 01:44:59 PM »

Higher fuel prices affect you even if you never drive.  They increase the transportation costs of almost everything you buy as well as your personal transportation costs if you fly or ride public transportation.  Even if you personally do not pay more, it still costs more.  Where I live the distances are huge, so walking my daughter to school would be nearly impossible, even if she did not have painful bunions on both her feet.

I rarely take a bus to... anywhere.

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 03:29:50 PM »

its just that the republican party (g.w. bush) has been taking a hammering over the gas prices.  and their coddling of the oil companies when it was proved that they have been price gauging.
i suspect a sharp increase after the november elections.

I've been thinking the same thing...there will be some excuse for them to jump back up after the ellections.
The story we've been fed is that because the hurricane season is non-existant and suposedly things have cooled off on the middle-east that there is now a great surplus of fuel.
Fuel will go back up here.....it's just a question of when.

Europe......If I'm not mistaken, taxes make up a great majority of the cost of fuel in Europe.....upwards of 50-300% of total consumer cost is tax.
I saw a graph a few years ago (wish I could find it) that showed a few countries in Europe (Germany was one) that actually paid less for raw fuel then the USA did.....but once those counties added their tax into the cost of fuel to pass on to the consumer, the costs jumped way up into the 6, 7, 8 dollar range.

Also, with reguards to the USA,  when one looks at the cost of fuel compared to the rate of inflation, fuel is right where it should be........it just stayed way to low for way too long.

Litigious

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »
Europe......If I'm not mistaken, taxes make up a great majority of the cost of fuel in Europe.....upwards of 50-300% of total consumer cost is tax.
I saw a graph a few years ago (wish I could find it) that showed a few countries in Europe (Germany was one) that actually paid less for raw fuel then the USA did.....but once those counties added their tax into the cost of fuel to pass on to the consumer, the costs jumped way up into the 6, 7, 8 dollar range.

Correct. It's not the oil companies' prices that are high, at least not compared to the taxes. In Sweden more than 80% of the gas price is tax.

Norway has own oil wells in the North Sea, but there the gas costs even more than in Sweden.