Educational

Author Topic: ARE WE BULLIES HERE?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: ARE WE BULLIES HERE?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 01:30:24 AM »
That's how I read it, too, Lucifer.

Their position(robert at least, i dont know about ascan and omega), that we are bullies, implies to me at least that they believe we are inherently mean, spiteful people.  It would be like saying we were schizophrenic, you don't behave schizophrenically, you either are schizophrenic or you aren't.  However just because we have bullied people doesn't mean we are inherently mean spiteful people.  We were just being mean, which we could choose not to be.

I must be thick or something, cos I didn't get this either. ???
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 01:51:58 AM »
There is a difference between being A bully, and bullying someone.  You may in one sense be a bully to engage in bullying, but robert seems to be saying that we are only bullies, at all times.  And that our status of being a bully does not end once we stop bullying someone.  We wouldn't be nice to someone else, even if we liked them, because we ARE bullies.  It is like the difference between being stupid, and doing something stupid.  You can be a genius, and work with men of excellence and accidentally program your lander in feet, and do your calculations in meters.

I mean, if robert was saying that we were mean to fluorescent and happeh, and he wants us to apologize, he'd sort of have an argument.  But he isn't saying we were mean, he is saying we can only BE mean, and he believes he must stop us from being able to be mean to people in the future.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 01:55:01 AM by Nomaken »
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 01:58:02 AM »
Ah, OK. I see what you mean now. Thanks.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 05:29:43 AM »
There is a difference between being A bully, and bullying someone.  You may in one sense be a bully to engage in bullying, but robert seems to be saying that we are only bullies, at all times.  And that our status of being a bully does not end once we stop bullying someone.  We wouldn't be nice to someone else, even if we liked them, because we ARE bullies.  It is like the difference between being stupid, and doing something stupid.  You can be a genius, and work with men of excellence and accidentally program your lander in feet, and do your calculations in meters.

I mean, if robert was saying that we were mean to fluorescent and happeh, and he wants us to apologize, he'd sort of have an argument.  But he isn't saying we were mean, he is saying we can only BE mean, and he believes he must stop us from being able to be mean to people in the future.

then we shouldn't have to apologise.

we should just make an effort to learn from our mistakes.

You can be a genius, and work with men of excellence and accidentally program your lander in feet, and do your calculations in meters.
there is a difference.  what you used an example above is an obvious mistake, since it requires a concrete solution.
if people don't believe they were mean (ie: they were just holding people ccountable for their words), then they were actually doing what is right, according to their own set of principles....
Misunderstood.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 05:58:51 AM »
I am not saying they were wrong to say what they did.  I am saying that they did effectively bully those people, totally unintentionally.  I don't think they should be held to blame for bullying, but i think that they should recognize how their collective actions affected robert.

And I don't think we have to apologize, I am not even asking you guys to apologize, I think that everyone on here should just recognize their mistakes, robert should recognize his mistakes, and we should just move on.  But I think apologizing would help, and the first to apologize would be making, in my opinion, a very honorable and brave sacrifice.

And about the lander thing, that was a bit of humor, because nasa actually did make that mistake with the mars lander, but i forget if it was the calculations that were in meters or the programming.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 06:01:57 AM »
I am not saying they were wrong to say what they did.  I am saying that they did effectively bully those people, totally unintentionally.  I don't think they should be held to blame for bullying, but i think that they should recognize how their collective actions affected robert.

And I don't think we have to apologize, I am not even asking you guys to apologize, I think that everyone on here should just recognize their mistakes, robert should recognize his mistakes, and we should just move on.  But I think apologizing would help, and the first to apologize would be making, in my opinion, a very honorable and brave sacrifice.

And about the lander thing, that was a bit of humor, because nasa actually did make that mistake with the mars lander, but i forget if it was the calculations that were in meters or the programming.

personally, i think that there are others, who are closer to robin, who should have to accept responsibility for how their inaction affected robert.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 06:41:51 AM by McJagger »
Misunderstood.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 06:39:17 AM »
I think robert should apologize to dunc and P.I.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 10:05:12 AM »
I think robert should apologize to dunc and P.I.

Thanks, but I don't want an apology.  All I want is both sides to recognise that they didn't act as well as they could have.  I believe that the so-called 'bullies' have shown they do recognise that, but the is fault on both sides.  People get angry and perhaps say things more bluntly than they would normally, that's just human nature.  I can't see this getting any better until all involved admit that this mess has gone far enough and that no-one was an innocent party in all this.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 02:52:32 PM »
I would like to take full responsibility for whatever in the fuck I said wrong.  Although I already tried that and it appears robert doesn't think I said anything wrong. ... Damn.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 03:15:11 PM »
i sort of hate to say this, but i don't believe i either did any "bullying", or am even accused of "bullying" robertN (inverted commas, cos i'm using what's passing for the definition here, in this thread).  so no apology isneeded from me.  i believe robert is saying i "bullied" flo, and i don' think this is the issue here.

perhaps someone who's in contact with robert could clarify that, if anyone gives a fuck.  i don't, as my cupboard is bare of apologies, and they can't deliver more for simply ages.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 04:52:40 PM »
I'm not a bully. I'm just plain mean.

- Albert Einstein

Chaos

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 02:10:07 PM »
There's all kinds of bullies in the world, some are not so obvious!

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »

That is an interesting point, Chaos.  I wonder if you would like to elaborate.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 04:26:56 PM »
I not a bully. :eyebrows:
Guardian of the Empire

Chaos

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 06:38:32 PM »

That is an interesting point, Chaos.  I wonder if you would like to elaborate.

There are those who talk about fighting bullies and then shout down those who argue against them.  They play the "victim" or better yet, the "martyr".  Emo queens and kings! :wanker:  Thats about as elaborate as I will get, decide for yourself who fits the "shoes" and who doesn't!